Neat relic from the Amazon - 1924

zonanda
Community Member

Hi everyone.

Grandpa went down the Amazon in 1924 and brought back this article. He doesn't remember what it is. It is really heavy wood. Please, can anyone tell us what it is and if it has any value. Any help is appreciated.

AmazonTool2.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

What does it measure in terms of size? Is it hollow or solid wood?

You might gain a better response if you go to the ebay.com Boards for this. They have a whole section of this type of thing. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Also, depending on what kind of wood this is, you might not be able to sell it. The tropical rainforests that are endangered now weren't necessarily in peril then. And every country has different import/export rules. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.

It measures 17" x 3.25" and is solid wood but not sure what type of wood. It is very heavy.

I wonder if those restrictions would apply to this object as it is almost 100 years old. Will be interesting to see how this progresses.

Thanks for directing me to the proper place to ask this question. Have a great day.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It looks to me like a throwing spear, maybe ceremonial. But I seriously know nothing about anthropology.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hopefully not poison tipped. Be careful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_poison

Arrow poisons are used to poison arrow heads or darts for the purposes of hunting and warfare. They have been used by indigenous peoples worldwide and are still in use in areas of South America, Africa and Asia. Notable examples are the poisons secreted from the skin of the poison dart frog, and curare (or 'ampi'), a general term for a range of plant-derived arrow poisons used by the indigenous peoples of South America.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply