Returning fake items

I opened a case against a seller who sold me a fake garnet ring. The case has been closed because the seller issued a "full" refund. Actually he still owes me $1.50. But what really annoys me is having to pay $10 to ship this garbage back to him in Thailand. This is the third time I have been in this situation. Is there anything I can do?
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Returning fake items

@catherinerubyred wrote:
I opened a case against a seller who sold me a fake garnet ring. The case has been closed because the seller issued a "full" refund. Actually he still owes me $1.50. But what really annoys me is having to pay $10 to ship this garbage back to him in Thailand. This is the third time I have been in this situation. Is there anything I can do?

If you mean fake as in counterfeit, then Ebay/Paypal's own policy states that counterfeit products do not need to be returned for a refund. Also, it is illegal to mail counterfeit products (with stiff penalties) in many countries. If you purchased with a credit card, start a chargeback with them. Good luck... 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

"Is there anything I can do? "

What could have been done is to leave well deserved negative feedback for your seller.  Instead you left positive.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

@catherinerubyred wrote:

If you mean fake as in counterfeit, then Ebay/Paypal's own policy states that counterfeit products do not need to be returned for a refund. Also, it is illegal to mail counterfeit products (with stiff penalties) in many countries. If you purchased with a credit card, start a chargeback with them. Good luck... 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

He sold me a garnet ring and the "garnet" was glass. I bought it through Paypal, which is linked to my bank account. I don't want the ring; I would never wear such junk, but I resent paying the $10 postage to send it back. Thanks for the input. I will just give the ring to the first person I meet with really bad taste! Cathy
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I left positive feedback by mistake. I was so angry and upset when the ring I'd been waiting for for over a month finally arrived, I was practically hysterical. I just hit the wrong button. Believe me, I wish I waited until I had calmed down. Cathy
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

You were expecting a real stone from a country that has such a poor track record for fake items?

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Thailand is the country where most coloured gemstones, no matter where they are mined, are cut and sold to wholesalers. Chantaburi is the world centre of the coloured gemstone market. Most of the sellers who deal in coloured gemstone jewellry on Ebay are from Chantaburi or centres very near it. Furthermore, seller has a 99.4% rating.
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

And most people can't tell glass from garnets from rubies.

You can't just look at a percentage. The actual complaints, both negative and neutral , appear to be from informed consumers who know how to check on authenticity.

Which, by the way, is why the most effective feedback should be calm and factual. FB in ALL CAPS, w!th exc!amat!ion po!nts!!, or using vulgarity or trash talk, give a stronger impression of the complainant than of the complaint.

All of which of course is beside the point.

It cost you $10 to return the item to Thailand. So you didn't use tracking which would have cost $40 or more. I'm not sure where the $1.50 comes from, perhaps the difference in foreign exchange.

Sigh.

You can leave a Response to your own or to your seller's feedback indefinitely. Like feedback, the most effective Responses are calm and factual.

'Ring glass not garnet. Refund didn't include return costs.' might cover it.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for your help. The $1.50 was the difference between shipping and what the item cost and what the seller elected to refund. This whole mess seems to have had further ramifications. I was in touch with another seller about a ring I had just bid on in bidnapper. If I won it - and I was the only bidder - i wanted him to size it. He said "No problem and good luck." When the auction ended, I was stunned to see Bid blocked by seller. He hasn't answered any of my messages asking what went wrong.. i wonder if he won't sell to me because I opened a case against a dishonest seller? Or am I being paranoid?
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

The $1.50 was the difference between shipping and what the item cost and what the seller elected to refund.

Between your original total payment and the refund? That's odd, but also the price of a medium double double.

i wonder if he won't sell to me because I opened a case against a dishonest seller?

Bidnapper is a sniping service? Seems unlikely. Most sellers like snipe bidders, since they bid to win not to nibble. Unless there is an automatic Block against you (location, deadbeat strikes, no active PP account are the most common autoBlocks), the only reasons I can see are that the second seller actually is the first seller operating under a different name. (Full disclosure, I have seven eBay accounts) or after your snipe won, he read your feedback and cancelled the transaction, a fairly new possibility.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Other sellers cannot see if you have filed a case.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Then I really am baffled. I have 100% positive feedback on the 52 items I have bought.
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

"I have 100% positive feedback on the 52 items I have bought. "

Unfortunately, that feedback rating is irrelevant as all buyers have 100% whether they have purchased one item or one thousand.  Buyers can only receive positive feedback so all buyers show 100% rating.

Only sellers can receive neutral or negative feedback.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Good to know Ebay's policy on counterfeit items. Unfortunately about 80% or more gemstone and jewellry dealers on Ebay sell counterfeit items. It has taken me a long time to find a few that are honest. The rest should not be allowed to sell.
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Yes, I too learned this the hard way. It was the last time I bought gemstones from a seller on ebay. I accidentally left the item in the pocket of my pants when they went into the washer. Opening the washing machine, I will never forget my surprise to see my gemstones had washed clean of all colour. Amethyst? Nope. Peridot? Nope. Poorly-coloured glass beads? Yes. I had long left positive feedback for my seller and the statue of limitations for returns was over. Lesson learned. I don't have any advice to give you, only empathy. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Thank you. There are a couple of sellers I trust. But that's it. Ebay should remove the sellers who sell fake goods.
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Absolutely. And they are supposed to do that. However, I sell toys and there are literally hundreds of cheap knock-offs on the market that come from a specific segment of the globe and many buyers simply do not care they are buying counterfeits because the counterfeits are cheap cheap cheap. Cheaper than authorized versions. There would be a huge hue and cry if those cheap knockoffs disappeared. Not just from these sellers but buyers too. 

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Yes, I know where the cheap knockoff toys come from. I lived in that country for 3 years. What buyers don't realize are the dangers they are exposing their children to. Lead based paint is only the beginning!
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Right! This was another lesson I learned the hard way. Before I started selling, I fell lure to the siren song of cheap toys and free shipping and had quite a few bad experiences before I decided it wasn't worth the risk. Weird super-sticky plastic that smelled like something I can't even begin to describe in one case, paint flakes falling into my hands in another, wheels and tires that pulled off instantly..... I felt sick at the thought of giving it to my kids to play with so I didn't. Everyone reaches their own conclusions in their own time, I guess. 

Message 19 of 19
latest reply