WHY can I NOT get in contact with ebay? VERY FRUSTRATING

p24d
Community Member

I have NEVER seen such a poorly designed Customer Service department.

The ONLY option given to me to contact a representative was by phone. So, I bit the bullet and called. Finally, after TWO HOURS ON HOLD, I gave up.

So, not only was I frustrated that I couldn't get any assistance with the problem I was attempting to resolve, but I WASTED TWO HOURS FOR NOTHING. 

Then, to make matters worse, EVERY SINGLE LINK you click on in the ebay website directs you RIGHT BACK TO THE SAME PLACE.

HOW FRUSTRATING!!!

There are NO OTHER OPTIONS other than phone available

WHY NOT?

Ebay is an ONLINE, TECHNOLOGY-BASED BUSINESS.....and as such, wouldn't you think that there should a few technology-based options available to communicate with them???? AT THE VERY LEAST- email and Chat, rather than a good old phone????

That's like saying the only way to contact them is by SNAIL MAIL!

And not only that, but if "Phone" is going to be an option, then they need to make sure the lines are adequately staffed in order to handle the volume of calls. TWO HOURS is absolutely RIDICULOUS. Perhaps I should send ebay a bill for MY TIME?

Luckily, my problem resolved itself when the seller contacted me today. I had purchased an item almost a month ago, but had to send the seller a request for the total as it wouldn't let me enter an amount for shipping. I got an "Unpaid Item" notice, despite the fact that I had sent the seller two requests. I didn't understand what was going on because I have purchased the same item from the seller before, and they are EXCELLENT at communicating. I was hitting dead ends, so I wanted to speak to ebay directly to find out if something had happened to the seller, and how I should proceed.

Turns out that the entire issue is stemming from EBAY's website, and it is giving the seller an "Error" message when they try to enter the shipping costs. 

Ebay needs to provide MORE OPTIONS for contact, and alter the links on their website so that users aren't redirected back to where they started! In addition to that, they need to increase the staff responsible for phone contact. I would like to hear back personally from management at ebay with regards to these issues and what steps will be taken to improve Customer Service. Thank You. Patti Tufford

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I am sure you will be delighted to know that this is a member to member Board and eBay very rarely comes here.

Even moving your post from one Board to another was done by Lithium, who monitor the Boards on contract. (And are not too awful about it.)

Your complaint is one that your fellow members hear fairly often.

To the extent that we usually advise the complainant to come here first for advice and just as often to use the robotic Resolution Centrer rather than try to get a sensible answer out of Customer Service.

No help from us this time, but sympathetic ears for your vent.

Don't be a stranger.  Best wishes.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I called eBay's customer service today and it went fine, so wonder why you are having problems with eBay customer service?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I hear your frustration.  In addition to closing down the CS email a long time ago, decimating the Canadian staff, stopping the Canadian once a week board time with one of the staff who IS left in Toronto, eBay customer service has been directed toward those with higher-priced stores.  The phone lines direct you to off-shore contracted service in the Philippines, whose staff are poorly trained and have rarely heard of eBay Canada, and usually fail to understand any differences between Canada and US eBay operations.

That being said, there is an option to have eBay call you, this now seems to appear only for certain choices.  At least that doesn't leave you waiting on the phone.  I have found that the fastest and easiest way to contact eBay is to call during Utah business hours on a weekday, and to choose some problem that pertains to billing - that is one area where eBay seems to take customer service more to heart, as it pertains a bit more directly to their bottom line.  While whoever answers may not be able to help you, they are more likely to be in the Utah call centre, and may patch you through to an American CS rep who MAY be better trained to answer your queries.

However, in regards to your particular problem, it would need to be the seller who contacts eBay.  If the seller is encountering an error message when setting up shipping for a listing, it is their responsibility to get this corrected, not to leave the listing in such condition.  The best option for the seller is to bring their problem to the boards of the country site where they list.  By the way, just for clarification, did you send your requests to the seller through the link on the purchase, through eBay Messages system, or to their linked email?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Yes it is frustrating. But, I too just learned after all this time, too just call them. A code will be given to you to input and the waiting time is usually within 1 to 5 minutes...at least for when I try to call.

The people are pretty good with the help, so try calling them directly and I am sure they will resolve your questions.

Calling is quicker and saves typing and wait time - instant gratification!

I too was mad about the phone thing, but now that I call, I find it better and get better answers, before with emails the wait time was longer and sometimes explaining stuff on email, may not get to the point...

Hang in there and try to accept the 'new' change everyone has to endure! Took me some time but it now works out for the best.

Take care.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Wow! That is great to hear.

I think you were one of the lucky ones.

Maybe you were the one tying up the line for 2 hours when I was trying to get through!! LOL  hahaha (kidding!)

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

HI! Thanks for your reply.

Interesting information...I didn't know that the calls were redirected overseas (never got that far to actually speak to a 'live person'), but it doesn't surprise me that Canada gets blown off like we don't matter.

Maybe it's a GOOD thing that I didn't get through, because there is nothing more frustrating than trying to explain all those 'differences' that affect us.

I've never ever come across the option of having ebay call me....or I would have chose it! I guess it depends on what menu choices you make, but man....I thought I had tried them ALL!!

That is a REALLY good suggestion to call them in Utah. I will definitely do that! Maybe that's what they need....hundreds of thousands of people flooding their head offices with calls and jamming the lines! Maybe THEN something would get done!

Yes, that would have been helpful if the seller had done that, but perhaps they did contact ebay and I'm just not aware of it.

Who knows- maybe ebay wasn't responding to them either. I think they tried to enter the info a number of times on different days, thinking that it was a temporary problem that would be resolved, but when they realized it wasn't then they contacted me.

I contacted them through the link that appears on the check out page when it says to contact seller for shipping rates.

When I got the "Unpaid Item" notice, I tried to check out again, and clicked on the "Request Total from Seller" link again.

Thanks for your helpful suggestion (and being empathetic to my rant! lol)

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Hi! Thanks for replying. Yes, I finally resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to use the phone....

but after spending TWO HOURS ON HOLD, I had had enough!

I have never come across the option of having ebay call me back....must depend on the choices you make in the menus, but one member said that is sometimes provided as an option.

I like her suggestion though....phone Utah's call center and talk about billing because they speak MONEY, and it might be the fastest way to get assistance!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

The other thing I was just wondering about- the 'code' you speak of.

Are you from Canada, because maybe they give you a code in the U.S., but I am calling from Canada.

Wasn't sure of your location.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

p24d wrote in reply to battlefield_3‎:

The other thing I was just wondering about- the 'code' you speak of.

Are you from Canada, because maybe they give you a code in the U.S., but I am calling from Canada.

Wasn't sure of your location.

Doesn't matter what country you're in -- depending on which problem you picked in the Help & Contact >> Contact us decision tree -- you may get a code to enter when you phone ebay so that your call is redirected to the appropriate section.

Hint: If you click on a poster's feedback number, you will see what country eBay has connected to them.

-..-

Message 10 of 10
latest reply