Want to share purchases with my son. Is there any way that i can send him the listing. Thanks.

I want to share purchases with my son so if something happens to me he will have some template to follow for resale. Can i do it on a listing

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Want to share purchases with my son. Is there any way that i can send him the listing. Thanks.

From time to time when buying estates, we find items that have the original eBay listing printed out and tucked into an item (usually something a little esoteric).

I agree that hardcopy is the way to go for your son's guidance.

However, you should also know that while you are buying at auction, your cost will be somewhere between the wholesale (many items purchased at once for resale) and retail (single item priced with the dealer's overhead factored in),

BUT

When your son goes to sell your estate, he will be selling at the then current wholesale.

Which might be higher, but is equally likely to be lower.

Having dealt with many estates, I believe you will do your heirs a favour if you just indicate which of your prized collectibles you believe are 'better' without giving him the false hope that he will be able to sell the items at a profit, or even at a breakeven price.

Part of what you are paying is for the joy of finding and owning something that pleases you.

Collecting is NOT an investment.

And mark which items should be distributed as a memento to your grandchildren, nephews and nieces. Even if they play with your NIB items, the memories will be more important than the supposed 'value'.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Anyone can use an exiting listing to Sell One Like This or Sell One Yourself as long as they have an ebay account.

But I think you're asking about something slightly different.

Perhaps you want to give him your login information so that he make take over if you cannot complete a transaction?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Many of the sellers here are small businesses and have shared some or all of the login information with employees.

Many of the buyers here have one eBay account that is used by the whole family.

The tricky part would be Paypal. Usually businesses will restrict which employees can access the Paypal account.

And buying families have to work out on their own how payments will be made.

Note that eBay requires that members be adults, which means over eighteen.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Maybe i am not being very clear about my question. When i buy a barbie, other than telling him how much i paid for it, would like to send him picture of the item. Then if something happens to me he will be able to know what i paid for it and can ask a reasonable amount of money too sell it. Like on kijiji i can send him a picture or share so he knows what i am talking about.  Does that make better sense. I know that he could go ebay site to find the item just that he wont know what i paid for it. Thanks

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

There are links to share at the side but you should know those details only stay active for 90 days. Best to print on paper your details or create pdfs.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If he knows your eBay ID and password he can sign into the site and look at your purchase history for the past 3 years but I think that it would be best if you kept a hard copy of your transactions.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

From time to time when buying estates, we find items that have the original eBay listing printed out and tucked into an item (usually something a little esoteric).

I agree that hardcopy is the way to go for your son's guidance.

However, you should also know that while you are buying at auction, your cost will be somewhere between the wholesale (many items purchased at once for resale) and retail (single item priced with the dealer's overhead factored in),

BUT

When your son goes to sell your estate, he will be selling at the then current wholesale.

Which might be higher, but is equally likely to be lower.

Having dealt with many estates, I believe you will do your heirs a favour if you just indicate which of your prized collectibles you believe are 'better' without giving him the false hope that he will be able to sell the items at a profit, or even at a breakeven price.

Part of what you are paying is for the joy of finding and owning something that pleases you.

And mark which items should be distributed as a memento to your grandchildren, nephews and nieces. Even if they play with your NIB items, the memories will be more important than the supposed 'value'.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Excellent advice.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Most of times, totally true, but it also depends what kind of collection. Props and wardrobe items usually go up in price. But I do agree that prices can vary a lot from year to year.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Basically anything that was produced as a collectible is not likely to increase in value.

The producers do their very best to sell as many as the market will bear in the first instance.

As a result, there is little or no secondary market.

Your props and costumes were made for use in the movies and shows. The collectible part came later, with the popularity of the show.

What would be the current value of Mal Reynolds' leather Browncoat, I wonder?

Same with stamps. They were (mostly) produced to pay carriage for letters and parcels. Although they became collectible almost immediately, * the stamps produced from the 50s onward for sale to collectors are often most valuable if found used on commercial mail.

Beanie Babies? Bradford Exchange plates? A candle in the wind.

And then there is nostalgia.

The biggest market for Shirley Temple dolls ended when the little girls who loved her movies reached 80. Diana collectibles were huge for about 18 months after her death, then nothing.

Elvis and Marilyn continue.

Hey, fun fact. If she were still alive, Norma Jeane Mortensen Baker would have been the same age as Queen Elizabeth II.

*Apparently there was a fashionable woman in London who papered a room in Penny Blacks circa 1849!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply