Wasn't sure where to post this.....

I know we have some very knowledgeable tech people on these Boards and after reading ad naseum for at least a couple of months now, I'm wondering if someone might be able to give me some advice.  I consider myself pretty good with my computer - I've fixed crashes, etc, but I am by NO means a Tech! 

I use Windows XP and although I realize it's an old system, it's perfect for what I need,  I obviously do a lot of on-line shopping on various sites,  I'm constantly doing internet research, read the news each day and like to be artistic in doing various things.  Well.,,,I guess you know what I'm going to say - it's been all over the internet that Microsoft will suspend any support for Windows XP in April, 2004.

As  mentioned, I've read so many forums on this subject and a lot of people are up in arms about this, some saying it's just a case of Microsoft putting more $ in their already heavy pockets,  Some of the forums I've written on have just been too complicated for me to really understand,.,,,,,the end result (to me) sounds like I will have to go to another operating system, and with my computer being a few years old, it sounds like I would have to buy a whole new computer, which I can ill-afford.

Do any of you have any suggestions (not to techy please!) - I think I know the answer (new computer) but would so appreciate your input.

Thanking you so much in advance.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Ooops I obviously meant 2014!

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

All it means is that your computer won't get updates any more.

So long as you have decent security programs and anti virus protection it shouldn't be a problem.

eBay.com has a Computer & IT Discussion Board where you can get advise.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Computers-Networking-I-T/bd-p/212

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Windows XP is the most broadly used Windows system ever. The life cycle of each product was determined years ago.  The problem with providing support for old products (XP is 10 year+) is that they do not generate any current revenue for the the manufacturer. When XP generated revenue, Microsoft allocated part of  sales for future support.  So continuing to support XP after the deadline will cost Microsoft money.

All manufactures have warrantees. Some 90 days, some 1 year, some 3 years, some 5 years, some lifetime. Supoort caost money and it has to stop sometime otherwise the company will lose money.

Microsoft is huge and makes a lot of money. But business sense says you only support the old product so long without getting revenue from the old product.

Yes, Microsoft will make money on selling current products. Most of the current products will not run on old hardware. More an issue of rapid change in hardware technology and software technology than Microsoft trying to gouge customers. XP came out in 2001, 12 years ago. It had three major version changes in the 10 years it was out. Computers are much more powerful now.

I am using Windows XP for the past 7-8-9 years on the same computer which I upgraded the CPU and memory a few times to get a little more power. Nice stable system. I am not happy XP will be gone. I will most likely find a good used system running Windows 7 which is a good operating system and it will last another 7-8 years like XP. The hard part is finding a god system that I can upgrade a bit to squeeze out more power like I did with XP cheaply with used parts.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@karl*katz wrote:

All it means is that your computer won't get updates any more.

So long as you have decent security programs and anti virus protection it shouldn't be a problem.

eBay.com has a Computer & IT Discussion Board where you can get advise.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Computers-Networking-I-T/bd-p/212

The third party tools will support XP for a while as long as they make money on it.

Just like Windows 98 third party tools did for 1-2 years after Microsoft stopped supporting 98. Then there will not be enough of a user base to pay for the support and XP will die.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I still have windows 98 running on one computer 🙂

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The good news about getting a newer system is that they are inexpensive compared to 2001.

Windows 8 (and 8.1) is new and is having issues with eBay sometimes so it may be a struggle at first to get used to it.

Make sure that you can upgrade the memory in the computer in the future.

Fore Example, when Windows XP came out in 2001, it minimum was 128 MB, recommended 256 MB. As it was upgrade the minimum went up to where it was 512 MB minimum and 1 to 2 GB recommended. When I changed from 1 GB to 2 GB, it was a big difference in speed.

Personally I will look for a used Windows 7 system. Buying used means a lot of buyer beware.  I can't help on this as too many variables to consider. Most sellers who specialize in used computer systems are like used car sale people. Do not believe what they say. Most give short warranty period that runs out before any issues appear.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

You don't have to buy used.

Dell Canada still has some windows7 computers.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I don't understand the question. Why would you need a new computer and software if the one you're using works fine? So what no updates?

I'll rather keep an old system + old OS for 50+ years (if the hardware doesn't die, if it does just reinstall on new pc) than constantly upgrade. I'm using windows 7 and won't upgrade to anything (ever) unless it's such a vast improvement.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Thank you all so much for your advice, I really appreciate it.  Gives me even more to think about, don't know why but my mind is just spinning - read too much on Tech Blogs on the Internet on this one!  But you've all made it a little easier for me to understand.

A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Again thanks for your replies.

pocomocomputing  thank you for the the .com link you gave me on these matters but what a mess!!!!  It was even hard to find out how I post and when I finally thought I had it came up with all kinds of weird things, including the HTML bit.  But not only that, everything was really weird to say the least.  Anyway, bottom line, it wouldn't post.

Is there a Canuck IT link of any kind?

Thanks so much

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@2011limey1 wrote:

Again thanks for your replies.

@pocomocomputing  thank you for the the .com link you gave me on these matters but what a mess!!!!  It was even hard to find out how I post and when I finally thought I had it came up with all kinds of weird things, including the HTML bit.  But not only that, everything was really weird to say the least.  Anyway, bottom line, it wouldn't post.

Is there a Canuck IT link of any kind?

Thanks so much

The eBay.com Computing forum link was by karl*katz.

No equivalent eBay.ca forum on computers.

A new computer with Windows 8.1 will work with eBay with some challenges to over come in learning how to use it. eBay will change their site to work better and better with it since it is what new computers have now. Try to get as fast a computer as you can afford and get extra computer memory if possible right away (most computers come with the minimum).

Do you know someone locally in person who is more computer savvy than you? They would be able to help you choose the right power and performance for your eBay needs and any other computer needs you have.

One issue you might have is older computer accessories like a printer or scanner. They may not be supported by the new computer adding to the expense of buying a new computer. A new display monitor would be nice to have also.

You might want to consider a laptop since they are comparible in price to an desktop system. Laptops are less bulky, portable, never crash in a power failure because of the battery. Battery will need to be replaced in 3-4 years as they wear out so it can cost you $100 then.

Remember you do have some time before XP is not supported and XP will still work after the April deadline.

Hope this helps a bit.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

pocomocomputing  Thanks again for your input.  I do so much on my computer - this has really got me unhinged - too much so but I am learning more, but the more I learn, the more expensive it sounds.  I did put more memory into my ol' computer and yes, I also bought a new monitor.  Maybe I'm one of few, but I still want to have a desktop instead of a laptop.  I did go through about 3 printers years ago as I didn't like them at all - my HP All-in-One is perfection, prints well, scans great, etc.

Maybe I'm panicking too much and should visit a therapist lol?!  I keep thinking if I haven't done anything by the expiration date of April some hacker is going to get into my bank account! 

Anyway,again I really do appreciate your input.

Thanks so much.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply