ebay buyer making claims of item not receive and want refund

this buyer  pays right away then u ship item then he puts in claims of item not receive and wants refund he has four purchases on his account and he filed in four claims for item not received all from high rated sellers and ebay keeps on sidding with him any advice anyone

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

he puts in claims of item not receive and wants refund

First did you use tracking /Delivery Confirmation on any of the parcels?

Were the purchases shipped together?

How long ago did you ship? Did you ship within 7 days of cleared payment?

Did he just demand a refund or did he open a formal Dispute?

If you have a tracking number, put that in your Response, even if the item has not yet arrived.

The buyer is not allowed to open an Item Not Received Dispute for 30 days after shipment. So we will assume that has passed.

If you did not track the items, refund.

Ask the buyer to return the refund when the purchases arrive. He can do this using Paypal's Send Money service. This works about half the time, because most people are honest. Tell him how to do it though, don't expect him to work it out himself.

he has four purchases on his account and he filed in four claims for item not received all from high rated sellers

A high rating on eBay is over 98%. A rating of 95% is bloody awful.

Even so, many sellers with 98% or 99% ratings has dozens if not hundreds of negative feedbacks, because they have thousands of sales.

I would however Report the buyer to eBay, since a 100% negative feedback left is very suspicious.

In future, if you don't want to use expensive tracking on your items, add a little to your Shipping and Handling price as a sort of self-insurance. Put those pennies (rarely is a self insurance premium more than a dime) into a virtual Cookie Jar. When you have an occasional claim, pay from the Cookie Jar. You may find you are actually keeping more money than you take in. (Which is, of course, how insurance companies make their living.)

Go to your Seller Preferences. Put an automatic Block against any bidder who has Strikes for Unpaid Item Disputes.

You are selling in a high fraud category. (Buyers and sellers.)  Keep this in mind when you ship. Track anything you do not want to lose.

However, I would suggest that you move to Free Shipping.

Don't panic.

Free shipping means you include the cost of shipping (and self insurance and tracking) in the asking price for your item. I'm assuming you are asking more than bullion value for your coins?

Which is cheapest?

A $5 item with $10 shipping?

A $10 item with $5 shipping?

A $25 item with 'free' shipping?

Remember that you will not pay any shipping FVF on any shipping charges when you use Free Shipping for your domestic sales.

When you ship, you can choose the service you ship by. Don't ever allow a buyer to demand cheaper/less secure shipping. He is almost certainly attempting a scam. This is even more important in high fraud categories like Coins.

Free Shipping is particularly popular with buyers who are shopping from mobile devices. These buyers don't see your entire description. Make buying as simple as possible for them.

And here is where you are going to get angry and defensive.

Your descriptions are very poor and set you up for scammers. Bad grammar and poor spelling indicate that the seller is either careless or ignorant, and ripe for defrauding.

1 oz. .9999 pure silver canadian maple leaf fresh out of tube in quadrum to protect them.

1 oz. .9999 pure silver Canadian Maple Leaf fresh out of tube in protective quadrum .

i combine shipping highest quote first .50 each additionnal item these are beautifull and im selling them at lowest possible price thanks for looking please check out my other items.

I combine and discount shipping . (Better would be Free Shipping to Canada and USA, but that's your choice.)

these are beautifull and im selling them at lowest possible pricethanks for looking please check out my other items.

A beautiful coin . (Better would be the grade and condition from an eBay accepted agency.)

unfortunately due to recent chain of event if you have less then 20 positive feedback or more then one negative feedback contact me before buying as people with these conditions I will only ship with tracking its unfortunate but some people hide behind ebay buyer protection to get free items sorry about inconvenience

Drop this. Honest buyers will be annoyed and move on rather than deal with a paranoid seller.  Nobody cares what your personal butthurts might be.  Scammers will laugh since none of this is enforceable.

...people with these conditions I will only ship with tracking...

Especially this. You are telling scammers that you do not usually used tracked services.

I find, in my very different categories, that including the date and service of shipping in my feedback immediately on sending, calms most nervous buyers. Including PP /CPO invoice numbers is also useful, making scammers believe that even untracked shipments are being tracked and discouraging fake claims.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

i lost my top rated seller status for this exact reason,if you dont hve tracking,soon as the buyer says they didnt recieve there item you get points againt you,not fair but thats what happens,lot of dishonest buyers out there,so it boils down to the buyer gets his item for free and gets his money bck sweet ,ebay luvs these people they still get there high profit everyone is happy except the seller weird how that works but that is ebay

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

he puts in claims of item not receive and wants refund

First did you use tracking /Delivery Confirmation on any of the parcels?

Were the purchases shipped together?

How long ago did you ship? Did you ship within 7 days of cleared payment?

Did he just demand a refund or did he open a formal Dispute?

If you have a tracking number, put that in your Response, even if the item has not yet arrived.

The buyer is not allowed to open an Item Not Received Dispute for 30 days after shipment. So we will assume that has passed.

If you did not track the items, refund.

Ask the buyer to return the refund when the purchases arrive. He can do this using Paypal's Send Money service. This works about half the time, because most people are honest. Tell him how to do it though, don't expect him to work it out himself.

he has four purchases on his account and he filed in four claims for item not received all from high rated sellers

A high rating on eBay is over 98%. A rating of 95% is bloody awful.

Even so, many sellers with 98% or 99% ratings has dozens if not hundreds of negative feedbacks, because they have thousands of sales.

I would however Report the buyer to eBay, since a 100% negative feedback left is very suspicious.

In future, if you don't want to use expensive tracking on your items, add a little to your Shipping and Handling price as a sort of self-insurance. Put those pennies (rarely is a self insurance premium more than a dime) into a virtual Cookie Jar. When you have an occasional claim, pay from the Cookie Jar. You may find you are actually keeping more money than you take in. (Which is, of course, how insurance companies make their living.)

Go to your Seller Preferences. Put an automatic Block against any bidder who has Strikes for Unpaid Item Disputes.

You are selling in a high fraud category. (Buyers and sellers.)  Keep this in mind when you ship. Track anything you do not want to lose.

However, I would suggest that you move to Free Shipping.

Don't panic.

Free shipping means you include the cost of shipping (and self insurance and tracking) in the asking price for your item. I'm assuming you are asking more than bullion value for your coins?

Which is cheapest?

A $5 item with $10 shipping?

A $10 item with $5 shipping?

A $25 item with 'free' shipping?

Remember that you will not pay any shipping FVF on any shipping charges when you use Free Shipping for your domestic sales.

When you ship, you can choose the service you ship by. Don't ever allow a buyer to demand cheaper/less secure shipping. He is almost certainly attempting a scam. This is even more important in high fraud categories like Coins.

Free Shipping is particularly popular with buyers who are shopping from mobile devices. These buyers don't see your entire description. Make buying as simple as possible for them.

And here is where you are going to get angry and defensive.

Your descriptions are very poor and set you up for scammers. Bad grammar and poor spelling indicate that the seller is either careless or ignorant, and ripe for defrauding.

1 oz. .9999 pure silver canadian maple leaf fresh out of tube in quadrum to protect them.

1 oz. .9999 pure silver Canadian Maple Leaf fresh out of tube in protective quadrum .

i combine shipping highest quote first .50 each additionnal item these are beautifull and im selling them at lowest possible price thanks for looking please check out my other items.

I combine and discount shipping . (Better would be Free Shipping to Canada and USA, but that's your choice.)

these are beautifull and im selling them at lowest possible pricethanks for looking please check out my other items.

A beautiful coin . (Better would be the grade and condition from an eBay accepted agency.)

unfortunately due to recent chain of event if you have less then 20 positive feedback or more then one negative feedback contact me before buying as people with these conditions I will only ship with tracking its unfortunate but some people hide behind ebay buyer protection to get free items sorry about inconvenience

Drop this. Honest buyers will be annoyed and move on rather than deal with a paranoid seller.  Nobody cares what your personal butthurts might be.  Scammers will laugh since none of this is enforceable.

...people with these conditions I will only ship with tracking...

Especially this. You are telling scammers that you do not usually used tracked services.

I find, in my very different categories, that including the date and service of shipping in my feedback immediately on sending, calms most nervous buyers. Including PP /CPO invoice numbers is also useful, making scammers believe that even untracked shipments are being tracked and discouraging fake claims.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

thank you
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I shipped same day paiement was received I didnt use tracking cause I try to ship cheaply but now I am changing that its weird how ebay wont recognize crooks even if they have multiple claims.i change my ads and using free shipping cause im literaly losing money thanks for input
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I know what you are going through.  It hurts when this happens,  not only financially, but also to know that there are dishonest people out there that take advantage of honest sellers.

I have been selling on eBay for years now, when I ship in-expensive items that are less than 2cm thick, I still use letter post to save money which results in more sales.  Although it sucks when someone claims that they didn't receive the item, I try to look at the positive side of things; to date, I have shipped over 6000 items using letter post and I have had maybe 25 people claim they didn't receive it.  Had I been charging an additional $8 to ship with tracking, my sales would probably been a third of they are. 

I believe when you provide good service and you have a good feedback to support it, you will get more of the honest buyers. 

I guess you need to experiment and see what works best for your type of business.

Good luck

Message 6 of 6
latest reply