out of print cd's / dvd's

I'm hoping someone has an answer to my burning question ... How do I know if a CD (or DVD even)  is OOP / out of print? Is there some big master list out there I can check against or .... ????? I have tried a google search but am not finding any concrete answers so far ... so maybe that is my answer, there is no list? How do ebay Sellers (for example) who "list" an item as OOP know it is OOP? 

Many thanks for any information ....

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@themodernowl wrote:

I'm hoping someone has an answer to my burning question ... How do I know if a CD (or DVD even)  is OOP / out of print? Is there some big master list out there I can check against or .... ????? I have tried a google search but am not finding any concrete answers so far ... so maybe that is my answer, there is no list? How do ebay Sellers (for example) who "list" an item as OOP know it is OOP? 

That's a tricky one.

Generally for media products the best you can say is this particular edition (UPC) is Out-Of-Print (OOP).

If you do a search on the A-river and there are no new copies available, then it's most likely OOP. Some publishers are nice and actually mention titles that are OOP or going OOP. And if it's not in the publisher's catalog, probably OOP.  And personal knowledge is also useful. One of my dvd focus areas is anime -- I visit forums on the net that talk about what's OOP or about to fall OOP or when a license rescue will kill the $$ value of an OOP item. Fanatics can be a great knowledge resource.

Just because it is OOP does not mean it is more valuable or even hard to find.

For example, I know of one company that published several dozen movie titles before the parent company decided to get out of production/distribution and the titles ended up falling OOP. If you know where to look in the distribution system you can still find all but 3 of the titles 9 years after they went OOP. And about 10 of those titles have had more recent releases from other companies.  So they are OOP titles, but most have very low value.

-..-

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Have you checked on Addall.com?

They accumulate listings from a couple of hundred  online sellers.

I find them useful for books, but less so for CDs and DVDs since AZ is more thorough.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply