"Contact for your ad on kijiji' - phishing ?

I keep getting emails with subject line "Contact for your ad on kijiji' with link to click to retrieve message.

Is this phishing ?

Also, I really hate what ebay has done to encrypting kijiji email addresses from and to people trying to contact me

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

That issue with encrypting is supposed to protect our privacy as buyers and sellers. I don't mind it.

As to your actual question, I wuold have to say, yes, that's phishing and don't click it. I get daily replies to my ads on kijiji and I never have to click a link to access them. the message form the buyer is part of the message sent to me, I have to do nothing to access it.

Did you register properly when setting up an account to list an ad? Or did you post an ad on kijiji as a 'guest'?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for your thoughts, I had surmised same myself. I hoped for response from official Ebay rep though. I've had kijiji account and many kijiji ads for quite a few years, I know encrypting email addresses is alleged to be protection, except one can pay to get rid of it, so it is not meant for protection but rather to force one to pay to get rid of it. I believe it is interfering with people trying to contact me, because before it I got a lot more responses, after it responses immediately almost dried up

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

eBay reps don't read these boards ever.

Have you tried the Kijiji help desk?
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

None of the biggies respond, guess they can't afford to. Of course I tried kijiji help, repeatedly, same no response. I finally got one person thru their facebook page to message with, and the result was "go to the kijiji help web page' - total dead ends all around.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@stevealfredhartwell wrote:

I believe it is interfering with people trying to contact me, because before it I got a lot more responses, after it responses immediately almost dried up

Have you checked your SPAM folder?   I find that I get all sorts of genuine emails dumped into 'spam'.  Sometimes I find a PayPal notice of payment in there, and those are important and definitely NOT spam.  I think these big companies funnel so many emails around that our filters sometimes read them wrong.  Like when we get obvious junk mail in our regular inbox instead of the SPAM folder where it belongs.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@stevealfredhartwell wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts, I had surmised same myself. I hoped for response from official Ebay rep though. I've had kijiji account and many kijiji ads for quite a few years, I know encrypting email addresses is alleged to be protection, ... I believe it is interfering with people trying to contact me, because before it I got a lot more responses, after it responses immediately almost dried up

It should not be causing any interference when they try to contact you -- but I've had some bounce back because people don't know how to type their own email address. And it is a protection that is easy to get around  "name at mailhost" will go through the filter (as do phone numbers).

While eBay does own kijiji -- they are a separate arm, and what little support there is comes from the kijiji side not eBay

As for for the original post -- definitely an attempt to comprise your computer and/or finances.

-..-

Message 7 of 7
latest reply