April 23rd 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers,

Apologies for the late post this week. I'll be around for a bit longer to make up for lost time. Please go ahead with your questions and comments, looking forward to read you!

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Raphael,

Regarding defects, I asked about an open case showing on both my global and U.S. dashboard even though I believed that I had only 1 open case and that was opened by a U.S. buyer. I asked if U.S. buyers were counted on the Global program and you replied:

"Open cases should not be shown on your Global dashboard as this metric doesn't apply to the Global program. Thanks for flagging this, I'll take it to the Dashboard team."

I'm not sure what you meant by this as according to the new spring update open cases do apply to the global program. Did you mean that U.S. buyers should be not be showing on the global dashboard or did you mean that Canadian sellers do not get a defect for an open case or...?

From the sellers spring update - The defect rate is simply the percentage of a seller's successful transactions that have one or more of the following transaction-related defects, the top predictors that a buyer will leave eBay or buy less

• Detailed seller rating of 1, 2 or 3 for item as described
  • Detailed seller rating of 1 for shipping time
  • Negative or neutral feedback
  • Return initiated for a reason that indicates the item was not as described
  • eBay Money Back Guarantee (previously known as eBay Buyer Protection) or PayPal Purchase Protection case opened for an item not received or an item not as described
  • Seller-cancelled transactions
Message 2 of 33
latest reply

Assuming that open cases do count as a global standard, it does not seem right that a buyer can open an item not received case on paypal at any time...there doesn't seem to be time factor there so a buyer could open a case 3 days after the purchase.

If a buyer opens an item not received case on ebay, I believe they can do just 1 day after estimated delivery. Would it not be more reasonable for the case to be opened after the last day of estimated delivery?

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

The new Defect system. I hate the name defect. Can't eBay think of a better name with a more positive sound?

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

More defect related questions - My dashboard shows that I have a seller cancelled transaction that I never actually put in a cancellation for. I did refund the buyer because they had been blocked and they started a new id so that they could go around the block and buy the item anyway. 

1 -So are all refunds going to automatically count as a defect unless there is also a mutual cancellation stating the buyer requested the cancellation?

2 -What happens if I refund and then use 'other' as a choice for the cancellation?

3-Since this buyer did circumvent the block, can I appeal the defect? I have read on the U.S. boards that they are not removing any wrongly given defects right now but will do so later on...is that correct?

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

A week ago today, eBay invited some sellers to a "free listing" promotion for up to 25,000 auction listings:

http://pages.ebay.com/promo/2014/0416/Activate25K.html

Like many other Canadian sellers, I was invited to the promotion.

However, as you most likely know by now, the "free listing" does not apply to many sellers when listing on eBay.ca or eBay.cafr.  Everything works fine when listing at auction on eBay.com

My questions to you today:

1) what is the problem and when will it be fixed (the promotion ends in a few days)?

2) why are your customer service representatives so unaware of problems when dealing with Canadians?

The problem was first mentioned on the board last Thursday:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Free-Lisings-Bug/m-p/225060#U225060

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pocomocomputing wrote:

The new Defect system. I hate the name defect. Can't eBay think of a better name with a more positive sound?

Hi pocomocomputing.

I don't think you are alone in feeling that way. We will pass this feedback along to the trust team. 🙂

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

More defect related questions - My dashboard shows that I have a seller cancelled transaction that I never actually put in a cancellation for. I did refund the buyer because they had been blocked and they started a new id so that they could go around the block and buy the item anyway. 

1 -So are all refunds going to automatically count as a defect unless there is also a mutual cancellation stating the buyer requested the cancellation?

2 -What happens if I refund and then use 'other' as a choice for the cancellation?

3-Since this buyer did circumvent the block, can I appeal the defect? I have read on the U.S. boards that they are not removing any wrongly given defects right now but will do so later on...is that correct?

Hi @pjcdn2005. Raphael is working on responses for you. 🙂

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

In the recent promo, some Canadian sellers are being charged insertion fees on eBay.ca and not on eBay.com when they should not. Is ebay aware of this issue?

See this topic:

community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Free-Lisings-Bug/m-p/225258

Ignore this post. Pierre has asked the same question above and posted while I was typing my post.

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

Sorry, I don't mean to hog the board but the spring update has brought up a lot of questions.

In the spring update:

Just as today, sellers can have a maximum of 0.3% of eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Purchase Protection closed cases without seller resolution over the most recent evaluation period. That means the buyer opened the case, you weren't able to resolve it, the buyer reached out to eBay or PayPal to review it, and eBay found you responsible.

Perhaps I'm having a mind block but I don't remember in the past that we could only have a maximum of .3% of closed cases. But is it .3% AND more than 2 cases? If I have 276 U.S. sales then .3% is just.82 cases. In that situation, would I would be allowed to have 3 cases before there were any sanctions even though the percentage was over .3?

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

Hi Raphael -- I'm going to add to the list of "defect" questions (sorry):

I know eBay seems to believe that "accidentally opened cases" (INR or INAD) by buyers don't happen, but in my experience, and from the reports of other sellers, they do, often when a buyer just uses the "Ask Seller a Question" feature. 

Whether buyers get confused and end up somewhere they don't want to be (i.e. an opened case), or just make an honest mistake, what can eBay do about not making these count as defects?  It seems very unfair to penalize sellers for this.  Isn't there some way to make an option available to buyers to choose "I opened a case in error, please close it"?

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for flagging this pierrelebel.

I am very sorry that this happened to Canadian sellers. It is obviously not the experience we want.

Not sure why this promotion went wrong yet. It has been a long time since we had a "defect" like this in a seller promotion, and I hope it is even longer before we see a recurrence.

@pierrelebel wrote:

A week ago today, eBay invited some sellers to a "free listing" promotion for up to 25,000 auction listings:

http://pages.ebay.com/promo/2014/0416/Activate25K.html

Like many other Canadian sellers, I was invited to the promotion.

However, as you most likely know by now, the "free listing" does not apply to many sellers when listing on eBay.ca or eBay.cafr.  Everything works fine when listing at auction on eBay.com

My questions to you today:

1) what is the problem and when will it be fixed (the promotion ends in a few days)?

2) why are your customer service representatives so unaware of problems when dealing with Canadians?

The problem was first mentioned on the board last Thursday:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Free-Lisings-Bug/m-p/225060#U225060

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

eBay.com has a special listing option where you list once and check off an option to relist 3 times free. This has been on the eBay USA site for months now.

Is this coming to eBay.ca?

Also, if I list on eBay.com instead of eBay.ca, I do not get the option. Is this because I am registered on eBay.ca?

In the latest promo, the ebay.com promo mentioned this as a Seller Tip. Not on eBay.ca.

http://pages.ebay.com/promo/2014/0416/25KAuctionCV.html

Auto-relist your items for FREE** Save time and money—and increase your chances of selling

You can keep advanced list features (e.g., Reserve Price, Bold Title) for free, relist up to 3 times for free, and revise or end the listing at any time.

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

Hi Kalvin, I posted my question under Buyers Board as I thought you weren't here and was hoping Liz would move it.  I previously asked about getting a Shopping Cart on ebay.ca and you said you were working on it.

When I originally posted comment, I also got a comment from a Seller (('m a Buyer) who is also VERY frustrated, having to reimburse buyers for multiple purchases and I as a buyer have to go the route of messaging the Seller to get the lower shipping for multiple purchases.  As previously stated, this is the only site I know, and I know a lot! that doesn't have the cart.  Surely it wouldn't take long to get it set up, and I just cant figure out why it's not there.

Anyway, any idea of when we can see it?

Thanks Kalvin!

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi pocomocomputing.

Great question.

We don't have this particular auto-relist promotional feature on eBay.ca yet, but it is indeed coming to eBay.ca soon. (That's why we removed that reference from Canadian promotional material.)

We do of course have a format today that automatically relists indefinitely (Good Til Cancelled), but the feature pocomo is referring to here is a promotional feature for qualifying sellers listing in 7day duration.

pocomocomputing wrote:

eBay.com has a special listing option where you list once and check off an option to relist 3 times free. This has been on the eBay USA site for months now.

Also, if I list on eBay.com instead of eBay.ca, I do not get the option. Is this because I am registered on eBay.ca?

In the latest promo, the ebay.com promo mentioned this as a Seller Tip. Not on eBay.ca.

Auto-relist your items for FREE** Save time and money—and increase your chances of selling

You can keep advanced list features (e.g., Reserve Price, Bold Title) for free, relist up to 3 times for free, and revise or end the listing at any time.

Message 15 of 33
latest reply

@2011limey1 wrote:

When I originally posted comment, I also got a comment from a Seller (('m a Buyer) who is also VERY frustrated, having to reimburse buyers for multiple purchases and I as a buyer have to go the route of messaging the Seller to get the lower shipping for multiple purchases.  As previously stated, this is the only site I know, and I know a lot! that doesn't have the cart.  Surely it wouldn't take long to get it set up, and I just cant figure out why it's not there.

I'd love to know too!  As a seller, the problem of getting multiple purchases to work at all is a big issue.  I've had US buyers message me asking why they can only place in their cart (and pay for) one of my items at a time.  I can only wonder how many buyers have tried to make multiple purchases, failed, and given up without contacting me.

This is, of course, assuming a cart system on eBay.ca would be completely compatible with (at the very least) the one on .com.  Please say this is the plan!

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi pocomocomputing.

Great question.

We don't have this particular auto-relist promotional feature on eBay.ca yet, but it is indeed coming to eBay.ca soon. (That's why we removed that reference from Canadian promotional material.)

We do of course have a format today that automatically relists indefinitely (Good Til Cancelled), but the feature pocomo is referring to here is a promotional feature for qualifying sellers listing in 7day duration.

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Is it just 7 day duration? I was under the impression that it was for auction or fixed price formats and any duration (not just 7 days).

Since I could not find any details on this feature on eBay.com site in the past (I have not looked recently), I could be mistaken.

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi so11limey1.

We have a shopping cart partially deployed on eBay.ca right now and it is performing well. We will finish gradually ramping this experience up over the next couple of months.

The cart we have launched on eBay.ca already addresses the combined shipping problem raised by others in this forum previously, and the same fix we have applied in Canada will get rolled out on eBay.com in due course.

If your business model relies heavily on combined shipping, best option right now is to list on eBay.com. Your buyers will be able to combine items in the cart on eBay.com, as well as in the cart for a growing share of traffic on eBay.ca.

Once the fix has rolled out to eBay.com as well, buyers will be able to combine items listed on eBay.ca on eBay.com and vice versa, and it will no longer matter where you list.

@2011limey1 wrote:

Hi Kalvin, I posted my question under Buyers Board as I thought you weren't here and was hoping Liz would move it.  I previously asked about getting a Shopping Cart on ebay.ca and you said you were working on it.

Thanks Kalvin!

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

While on the subject of listing formats and durations, why can't GTC format have an end option?  End listing automatically after x relistings. I know eBay will give a warning that a listing has been up with no sale after 16 or 18 months. 

What I would like is to be able to start a GTC for say 1 initial listing and 5 relists (any number I want)  and then end if it has not sold. Basically, to control an item and get it reviewed. Auto end would be nice instead of manually ending in last day to save on fees.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

In My ebay STORE ....the Search by Title or Description seems to have disappeared.

Intentional, or a glitch?

Message 20 of 33
latest reply