March 11th Weekly Board Hour

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. Please start posting at your convenience, we will join you at 1 PM Eastern.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: March 11th Weekly Board Hour

ISSUE #1:

Cart Disconnect Issue / Buyers from ebay.com are unable to combine multiple purchases from ebay.ca sellers

WHY is this issue not fixed yet.

If we DON`T require immediate payment additional items added show as unavailable to .com buyers

If we DO require immediate payment .com buyers can`t combine items

This is a no win situation .ca sellers. .ca sellers require and demand a permanent solution for .com buyers to combine multiple items, this has gone on long enough. We pay hundreds of dollars in fees and subscriptions for exposure and a simple feature where ALL buyers can combine multiple items from ANY sellers. On top of this we are getting stuck with additional final value fees on shipping and additional paypal transaction fees for each item that can not be combined. It is disturbing to know that a massive eCommerce auction site with endless resources and income can`t resolve or come up with a solution that works for sellers that put money in their pockets.

I was told the issue was to be fixed numerous times by ebay reps by March 7, well that time has come and gone. I was outright lied to on numerous occasions regarding this issue and I am furious about the situation as I am sure others are as well. 

ISSUE #2:

I stumbled across a seller that is stealing my images and descriptions, spoke to ebay weeks ago and his listings he created with MY images and descriptions are still active.

MINE: 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/57421-39D10-SUZUKI-NOS-BRAKE-LEVER-LT-F250-300-500-LT-4WD-LT-F4WD-LT-A500-/36...

HIS:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331389390709?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There are probably more but I don`t have the time to look into it. Even if I did clearly nothing will be done. This is against ebay policies, yet it continues.

ISSUE #3 / OBSERVATION:

Every time we turn around ebay changes something, WHY. If it ain't broke don`t fix it. Its at the point where you need a compass, survival kit, and and abundance of time to navigate ebay and modify thousands of listings to accommodate ebays never ending site changes. The site is cluttered and complicated. Ebay has the time to change things on a regular basis that are not broken, yet simple feature like .com buyers combining items from .ca sellers is not a priority.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

My questions:

#1. Like the member above, my item listing image(s) is being used without permission by another seller and, when reported to ebay, nothing is done. This is the second time around this particular seller is using this particular image to sell his item(s) and to undercut me as he does so.

I am following ebay's guide to watermarking and using the only option that is presented to me as a seller to do so: that is, a watermark automatically inserted at bottom left. I am doing what I am told to do to follow the rules so why are my reports never taken seriously when others fail to abide by them? 

Mine http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Disney-Planes-JUDGE-DAVIS-Race-Announcer-PREMIUM-diecast-World-of-Cars-AIR-MA...

His http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Disney-Planes-No-72-Official-Air-Judge-Davis-Easter-Package-/121586518136?pt=...

You can see it's my original image right down to the water stains on the wood plank behind the item. You can see how she/he cropped away the watermark. It should be addressed with a very straightforward cease-and-desist order. 

#2. Can a Q&A be added to the shopping cart summary page to direct buyers to contact their sellers if the item shows Not Available due to the ebay.com/ebay.co.uk/ebay.ca shopping cart/bag/basket incompatibility? It doesn't have to be a big deal statement. There are other Questions and Answers. 

#3. When are the Store Categories coming back? The left-hand listing frame on Item description pages has been gone for approximately four weeks that I've noticed. For many of us, this feature is a big part of the reason that we subscribe monthly to Stores. Will there be compensation in the form of a rebate issued?

Thank you in advance for your kind attention to these matters.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Good morning Raphael, Rodney, and all.....

If I may I would like to approach the weekly board a bit differently this week.

Yes, like many other Canadian sellers and buyers I often used this Wednesday tete-a-tete to bring problems and glitches to your attention. And I am sure I could find something to fill a few more posts today.

Instead, I would like to hear from you, all of you remaining in Toronto, to understand how you feel with the new (staff reduced) eBay.ca. 

How do you like the new offices at the new downtown location?

I understand your office is integrated with PayPal.ca.  That will change.  How will that affect you?

Despite the constant frustrations coming from everywhere do you see a future for eBay.ca in Toronto?

Over a decade ago, one of the many functions of the eBay.ca Toronto staff was education, going from town to town, meeting eBayers, helping folks better understand the system and enjoy the huge possibilities.  Will that concept ever come back?  Or is it all about budgets now, cutting costs?

Is there anything you can tell us about eBay.ca staffers we used to deal with (I will not use names here) who eventually moved to eBay.com or away from eBay.  How are they doing?  How many are still with eBay?

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Good afternoon, 

Do you have any update on an estimated time for fixing the vanished store categories (when looking at listings)?   This has been going on now for a couple of weeks. 

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

I have one other question today.  Regarding suggestions made for a "workaround" for the U.S. cart disconnect issue,  I concluded that the least disruptive interim measure for me would be to put up a notice on my storefront telling U.S. customers (who are 90% of my buyers) to log onto eBay.ca if they're having difficulties checking out. 

However, when I ran a test the other day to confirm the eBay.ca cart would work as expected (using my alternate ID and logged onto eBay.ca), it didn't pick up "rose-dee's" automatic free shipping for 5 items.  

I've attached the screen shot of the resulting order below.  As you can see, shipping is shown as C$11.65.  Every item on that order had the "buy 5 get free shipping" discount (I recently checked all my listings to make sure the discount was properly set up, and I actually re-entered the discount prior to that in my "Preferences", just to be sure).  A screen shot of what each one in this order looked like when I checked is also attached. 

Can you tell me what is happening here?  You mentioned previously that the eBay.ca cart functions perfectly, but this is worrisome.  

Either the eBay.ca cart is not picking up the free shipping promotion I've programmed into my "Preferences", or is it possible that the one item listed on cafr. is making the .ca cart malfunction?  If this is the result U.S. buyers will get if they log onto .ca and use our cart, they'll give up and go back to .com to buy from U.S. sellers. 

If I'm still doing something wrong, please tell me.  I'm at my wit's end.  I think other sellers might be interested in knowing if there is a glitch here, or if there's a better way to set up shipping discounts. 

Oh, forgot to add: on another test, it appears that if just one item that already has free shipping is among the 5 in the .ca cart, the "buy-5-get-free shipping" discount won't work.  In other words, they all have to have a shipping cost shown, or the cart doesn't calculate free shipping for the entire 5-item order.  Very confusing. 

March7-ScreenShot3.jpg

This is what was shown when each listing was checked (discounts set up apparently properly): 

March7-ScreenShot4.jpg

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

I am also a Seller that has  had this cart disconnect issue for well over a year now,  I first reported this issue back in march 2014, reading the boards and weekly discussion boards the problem seems to be bigger then first thought back in 2014,  the previous person mentioned all my concerns so I wont repeat the same concerns  since there is a known issue with the  Canadian check out cart, my question would be> can  we at least ask for a  worldwide technical issue announcement for all buyers and sellers to see until this issue has been fixed,  

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Last week I wrote:

The "print" listing option is gone, both on eBay.com and eBay.ca... Why? I always used that option to print a file for my TV show and movie prop purchases! Please bring it back!

Raphael's answer:

Hi lady.stark, 

The Print option on the View Item page was retired a while ago. The View Item team is considering bringing it back at some point, but I don't have any ETA for this unfortunately.

My question now... I do not understand why you said "a while ago". It was still working in January and in February, but disappeared on/around February 25. EBay really need to bring this option back! It is way too important for sellers and buyers, but especially buyers who are collectors.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@Last week I wrote:

The "print" listing option is gone, both on eBay.com and eBay.ca... Why? I always used that option to print a file for my TV show and movie prop purchases! Please bring it back!

Raphael's answer:

Hi lady.stark, 

The Print option on the View Item page was retired a while ago. The View Item team is considering bringing it back at some point, but I don't have any ETA for this unfortunately.

My question now... I do not understand why you said "a while ago". It was still working in January and in February, but disappeared on/around February 25. eBay really need to bring this option back! It is way too important for sellers and buyers, but especially buyers who are collectors.

Sellers can still access the "print" option. View the sold listing from My eBay Sold listings or Selling manager, then at the top of the view listing, a seller will see a section at the top with Paid with PayPal, Print Postage, and so on. Click on "View purchased item" and the familiar "Print" page is shown.

I never buy on eBay (simply do not need to buy here) so I do not know what a buyers sees at the top when they look at the bought listing. Perhaps the equivalent is there.

print.jpg

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I used the Print button whenever I created a new listing or significantly revised an existing listing. Finding it under Sold is not relevant to me but thank you for mentioning it for the benefit of those to whom it is. I'd like it back. Printing the web browser page does not address any of the photos in a meaningful fashion. 

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

ISSUE #1:

Cart Disconnect Issue / Buyers from ebay.com are unable to combine multiple purchases from ebay.ca sellers

WHY is this issue not fixed yet.

If we DON`T require immediate payment additional items added show as unavailable to .com buyers

If we DO require immediate payment .com buyers can`t combine items

This is a no win situation .ca sellers. .ca sellers require and demand a permanent solution for .com buyers to combine multiple items, this has gone on long enough. We pay hundreds of dollars in fees and subscriptions for exposure and a simple feature where ALL buyers can combine multiple items from ANY sellers. On top of this we are getting stuck with additional final value fees on shipping and additional paypal transaction fees for each item that can not be combined. It is disturbing to know that a massive eCommerce auction site with endless resources and income can`t resolve or come up with a solution that works for sellers that put money in their pockets.

I was told the issue was to be fixed numerous times by ebay reps by March 7, well that time has come and gone. I was outright lied to on numerous occasions regarding this issue and I am furious about the situation as I am sure others are as well. 

ISSUE #2:

I stumbled across a seller that is stealing my images and descriptions, spoke to ebay weeks ago and his listings he created with MY images and descriptions are still active.

MINE: 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/57421-39D10-SUZUKI-NOS-BRAKE-LEVER-LT-F250-300-500-LT-4WD-LT-F4WD-LT-A500-/36...

HIS:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331389390709?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There are probably more but I don`t have the time to look into it. Even if I did clearly nothing will be done. This is against ebay policies, yet it continues.

ISSUE #3 / OBSERVATION:

Every time we turn around ebay changes something, WHY. If it ain't broke don`t fix it. Its at the point where you need a compass, survival kit, and and abundance of time to navigate ebay and modify thousands of listings to accommodate ebays never ending site changes. The site is cluttered and complicated. Ebay has the time to change things on a regular basis that are not broken, yet simple feature like .com buyers combining items from .ca sellers is not a priority.

Welcome back merritt-motorcycle-salvage,

Issue 1I really think we've been around this question enough times now. There isn't anything that I can say today that myself or Rodney haven't said before. We fully understand the problem and have made the business case with the appropriate teams at eBay HQ, but the required work to enable the US shopping cart to handle non-eBay.com items hasn't been prioritized yet. Our resources are far from endless by the way, if they were we wouldn't have just been through a large personnel cut as we were.

This is where this stands and we promise to update you all as soon as there is any movement on the issue, until then, please understand that bringing this up over & over won't change anything to the situation. Thanks for understanding.

Issue 2: This is a matter that should be brought up to Customer Support. Please make your report there and they will take appropriate action if applicable. I'll point out that such infractions need to be reported if anything is to be done about it because eBay doesn't have the resources to scrub the site for stolen pictures and description text.

Issue 3: Again, I feel your frustration with what you perceive as a simple fix for the US shopping cart to accommodate non eBay.com items, but the fact is it's quite a large job.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Reading the US Boards as well as the Canadian boards I only have a couple of questions

1. Is Ebay ever going to fix the things that don't work and have been brought up over and over again on the boards.

2. When will Ebay staff be able to answer questions without the we'll look into it, it has been referred to the appropriate department, or we'll get back to you.

All the issues on Ebay are becoming a real problem and the run around and evasive answers do no help any one's faith in Ebay.

Does Ebay even care any more?

QUIT RUNNING TESTS AND WASTING STAFF RESOURCES.

REDIRECT THESE RESOURCES TO FIX ALL THE PROBLEMS ON EBAY.

LEAVE THINGS ALONE UNTIL WHAT IS BROKEN IS FIXED BEFORE EBAY BECOMES MORE OF A DISASTER THAN IT ALREADY IS

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

My questions:

#1. Like the member above, my item listing image(s) is being used without permission by another seller and, when reported to ebay, nothing is done. This is the second time around this particular seller is using this particular image to sell his item(s) and to undercut me as he does so.

I am following ebay's guide to watermarking and using the only option that is presented to me as a seller to do so: that is, a watermark automatically inserted at bottom left. I am doing what I am told to do to follow the rules so why are my reports never taken seriously when others fail to abide by them? 

Mine http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Disney-Planes-JUDGE-DAVIS-Race-Announcer-PREMIUM-diecast-World-of-Cars-AIR-MA...

His http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Disney-Planes-No-72-Official-Air-Judge-Davis-Easter-Package-/121586518136?pt=...

You can see it's my original image right down to the water stains on the wood plank behind the item. You can see how she/he cropped away the watermark. It should be addressed with a very straightforward cease-and-desist order. 

#2. Can a Q&A be added to the shopping cart summary page to direct buyers to contact their sellers if the item shows Not Available due to the ebay.com/ebay.co.uk/ebay.ca shopping cart/bag/basket incompatibility? It doesn't have to be a big deal statement. There are other Questions and Answers. 

#3. When are the Store Categories coming back? The left-hand listing frame on Item description pages has been gone for approximately four weeks that I've noticed. For many of us, this feature is a big part of the reason that we subscribe monthly to Stores. Will there be compensation in the form of a rebate issued?

Thank you in advance for your kind attention to these matters.

Hi mjwl2006,

1. Please contact Customer Support for this. After taking your report, they'll investigate for proof and take down the infringing listings and take appropriate action against the offending member if applicable. It's important to report such things to ensure proper documentation.

2. Thanks for the suggestion. We'll take this to the appropriate team for consideration.

3. Hard to say exactly when this is going to be fixed yet, but we have a team of engineers on this. The work is underway but I am unsure whether the full scope of the problem has been identified yet. The Store categories are definitely coming back though, it's just a matter of time.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Hello

I was wondering if or when store categories would be available on the mobile apps? Also I noticed the US app has a cart and I was wondering if the Canadian app was going to be released soon?

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I have one other question today.  Regarding suggestions made for a "workaround" for the U.S. cart disconnect issue,  I concluded that the least disruptive interim measure for me would be to put up a notice on my storefront telling U.S. customers (who are 90% of my buyers) to log onto eBay.ca if they're having difficulties checking out. 

However, when I ran a test the other day to confirm the eBay.ca cart would work as expected (using my alternate ID and logged onto eBay.ca), it didn't pick up "rose-dee's" automatic free shipping for 5 items.  

I've attached the screen shot of the resulting order below.  As you can see, shipping is shown as C$11.65.  Every item on that order had the "buy 5 get free shipping" discount (I recently checked all my listings to make sure the discount was properly set up, and I actually re-entered the discount prior to that in my "Preferences", just to be sure).  A screen shot of what each one in this order looked like when I checked is also attached. 

Can you tell me what is happening here?  You mentioned previously that the eBay.ca cart functions perfectly, but this is worrisome.  

Either the eBay.ca cart is not picking up the free shipping promotion I've programmed into my "Preferences", or is it possible that the one item listed on cafr. is making the .ca cart malfunction?  If this is the result U.S. buyers will get if they log onto .ca and use our cart, they'll give up and go back to .com to buy from U.S. sellers. 

If I'm still doing something wrong, please tell me.  I'm at my wit's end.  I think other sellers might be interested in knowing if there is a glitch here, or if there's a better way to set up shipping discounts. 

Oh, forgot to add: on another test, it appears that if just one item that already has free shipping is among the 5 in the .ca cart, the "buy-5-get-free shipping" discount won't work.  In other words, they all have to have a shipping cost shown, or the cart doesn't calculate free shipping for the entire 5-item order.  Very confusing. 

Hi rose-dee,

You have it right, the free shipping items in the order don't seem to count against the 5 items = free shipping for the whole order. I won't say this is a bug or that it works as designed, but it occurs to me that logically, 5 items should be free shipping for the whole order regardless of whether 1 or more of the items in the order already had free shipping. I'll investigate on that one.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

@barbsplace66 wrote:

I am also a Seller that has  had this cart disconnect issue for well over a year now,  I first reported this issue back in march 2014, reading the boards and weekly discussion boards the problem seems to be bigger then first thought back in 2014,  the previous person mentioned all my concerns so I wont repeat the same concerns  since there is a known issue with the  Canadian check out cart, my question would be> can  we at least ask for a  worldwide technical issue announcement for all buyers and sellers to see until this issue has been fixed,  

Hi barbsplace66,

As I said below, we've been around this over & over already. The reason why a technical issue announcement for all sellers and buyers to see isn't on the table is that the issue really doesn't affect all sellers and buyers.

I invite you to search the past Weekly Board Hour threads for all the depts we were and still are able to give on the subject. Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Issue 1: Respectfully: I have every right to bring this question up over and over again. We pay for a service and expect to receive it. We don`t go do the dentist for a cleaning, pay full price, and walk away with half a cleaning or pay for a full jug of milk and its half full.

Issue 2: I have spoken to customer support over the phone and nothing has been done! Every single time i send a message to customer support it is NEVER answered. I don`t have time to spam customer service over issues with no response or speak to an ebay rep and waste hours of my time to accomplish nothing over and over again.

Issue 3: I don`t perceive anything to be simple. My point is all effort and resources are focused on modifying and fixing things that aren't broken. Yet major issues there is no priority. Makes no sense.

I have no expectations on when this will be resolved as with any issue on ebay, I / we have every right to as paying customers to voice our concerns without being lied to by phone reps and get the opposite responses here. You are clearly frustrated at the same level by the same question as we are by the same responses. None of my frustrations are directed at you, they are at ebay in general.

Enjoy your day Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Thank you. I am on hold for Customer Service as I type this. I have always Reported the violations using the 'Report' function on the listing themselves.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

I was wondering if there was a way for sellers to leave feedback when we mark that we have shipped the packages with a message of the date shipped? I already have it set to leave when buyers pay. I know Ebay already sends a message when packages are marked as shipped.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Reading the US Boards as well as the Canadian boards I only have a couple of questions

1. Is Ebay ever going to fix the things that don't work and have been brought up over and over again on the boards.

2. When will Ebay staff be able to answer questions without the we'll look into it, it has been referred to the appropriate department, or we'll get back to you.

All the issues on Ebay are becoming a real problem and the run around and evasive answers do no help any one's faith in Ebay.

Does Ebay even care any more?

QUIT RUNNING TESTS AND WASTING STAFF RESOURCES.

REDIRECT THESE RESOURCES TO FIX ALL THE PROBLEMS ON EBAY.

LEAVE THINGS ALONE UNTIL WHAT IS BROKEN IS FIXED BEFORE EBAY BECOMES MORE OF A DISASTER THAN IT ALREADY IS

Hi dutchman48,

1. Yes.

2. Unfortunately, the only way to give you answers that aren't "we'll look into it" or "it's been referred to the appropriate team" would be to have the actual individuals from those appropriate teams here on the Board Hour ready to answer. In a company with tens of thousands of employees, that's not feasible.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply