March 5th, 2014 Weekly Board Hour

We're a tad late in posting today's board... sorry! Post your questions now & we'll start fielding them at 1PM Eastern.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I list on .ca but the majority of buyers have been US until recently. Now most of my buyers are Canadian and sales are cown drastically..  Most unusual so I signed in to .com and did a guest search on a friends computer. My items do not show unless it is word specific.  Yes all the right boxes are checked off in the ship to area. This happens on a regular basis.  I have as many sales on on other venues as I do on Ebay and Ebay used to be way ahead.

What can I do to increase my views in search?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Hi Kalvin,

Other than this weekly board hour, do you have any means to interact with sellers? I prefer face to face communication if it is possible at all, as they are doing at eBay.cn. Thanks, 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Hello Kalvin.

When I buy it is usually only items located in Canada and I have a number of searches set up that way. Yesterday they all changed to include the USA - every one of them. So I went in manually - same thing. Then I changed the search to books located in Canada - same thing, they included Canada and the US.

This is still happening to-day.

This is a serious glitch and needs to be addressed ASAP.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

Hello Kalvin.

When I buy it is usually only items located in Canada and I have a number of searches set up that way. Yesterday they all changed to include the USA - every one of them. So I went in manually - same thing. Then I changed the search to books located in Canada - same thing, they included Canada and the US.

As an addendum to this question I should let you know that it does not seem to matter which of these four buttons are hit to they all come up with the same number of listings on the search:

eBay Canada

eBay Canada Only

North America

World Wide

Not only am I being prevented from buying - I can't see the  items am selling  because of the huge numbers coming up in the search.

We are all losing here - eBay included.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@sheepgal54 wrote:

I list on .ca but the majority of buyers have been US until recently. Now most of my buyers are Canadian and sales are cown drastically..  Most unusual so I signed in to .com and did a guest search on a friends computer. My items do not show unless it is word specific.  Yes all the right boxes are checked off in the ship to area. This happens on a regular basis.  I have as many sales on on other venues as I do on Ebay and Ebay used to be way ahead.

What can I do to increase my views in search?

Hello sheepgal54,

I've just done a quick test using keyword search on eBay.com using "felting needles" and I was able to find 2 of your items on the 1st page (viewing 200 items per page), one at about the 100th position (251449282322) and another at about the 180th (251449282323). GIven that your listings don't meet the Top Rated Plus requirements (most Canadian listings don't), I can't say I see any problems with the visibility of your items on eBay.com.

There are many things that could contribute to this, the biggest one being your competition offering similar items that the system considers more attractive to US buyers. For example, all the US Top Rated sellers who offer 1 day handling and 14 day returns and who upload a valid tracking number for 90% or more of their transaction see their listings become Top Rated Plus, and those get the maximum boost in Search. Other things that contribute are sales history, pricing, shipping history, feedback, etc.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@zhongling2007 wrote:

Hi Kalvin,

Other than this weekly board hour, do you have any means to interact with sellers? I prefer face to face communication if it is possible at all, as they are doing at eBay.cn. Thanks, 

Hi zhongling2007,

Aside from the discussion boards and our personal emails, we unfortunately don't have any other means of communication available to Canadian members at this time. Not saying that this will always be the case, but for now we don't have the time and resources needed to conduct face to face events.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

@rosscd57 wrote:

Hello Kalvin.

As an addendum to this question I should let you know that it does not seem to matter which of these four buttons are hit to they all come up with the same number of listings on the search:

eBay Canada

eBay Canada Only

North America

World Wide

Not only am I being prevented from buying - I can't see the  items am selling  because of the huge numbers coming up in the search.

We are all losing here - eBay included.

Hi rosscd57,

Can you provide me with the exact search terms you used and the category refinements if any? I'd like to try this for myself. Thanks!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Here is one of me searches try it yourself and look at the search parameters.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Tube-Radios-/38032/i.html?_sticky=1&_mdo=Collectibles&_mPrRngCbx=1&_pcats=931...

Try it on anything else; books, toys and try to isolate items in and located in Canada and you will come up with North America or more.

This started only yesterday. I posted it on the sellers boards yesterday and others have noted the same thing.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Tube radios on .ca and located in Canada are usually under 200 items now there is over 4000 because of this glitch.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

Tube radios on .ca and located in Canada are usually under 200 items now there is over 4000 because of this glitch.

Thanks for reporting. I see the problem and will take this to the appropriate team.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

This concludes this week's Board Hour. Thanks for your participation and see you next week!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply