October 1st, 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers,

Welcome to our weekly chat. Feel free to post your questions and comments at your convenience, we will join you at 1 PM Eastern. See you then!

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

What is the status regarding the shopping cart "add to cart" option for .com users shopping on .ca?
https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/September-24th-2014-Weekly-Board-Hour/m-p/268...

Thanks!

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

@greenmangoes wrote:

What is the status regarding the shopping cart "add to cart" option for .com users shopping on .ca?
https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/September-24th-2014-Weekly-Board-Hour/m-p/268...

Thanks!

Hello greenmangoes,

Just to be clear, there are no problems for .com buyers to add items to the shopping cart on eBay.ca, this is actually the work around that I proposed in last week's chat. The problem is with adding eBay.ca items into the shopping cart on eBay.com, something that we still don't have a date for, but are working to get prioritized.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Good afternoon.

A few days ago eBay Inc announced that it will split into two independent companies sometimes in 2015.

I realize it is a bit early to ask questions about it but how do the Canadian staffers in Toronto feel about it now that you have incorporated eBay-Canada and PayPal-Canada under the same roof?

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good afternoon.

A few days ago eBay Inc announced that it will split into two independent companies sometimes in 2015.

I realize it is a bit early to ask questions about it but how do the Canadian staffers in Toronto feel about it now that you have incorporated eBay-Canada and PayPal-Canada under the same roof?

Hello Pierre,

Although we were all understandable surprised by the announcement, the general feeling here is that we have full confidence that our executives know what they are doing and we're all behind them in this decision. It will be a long process in any case, and until the split actually occurs, it's business as usual for everyone in the company.

For anyone wanting to read more about yesterday's announcement: http://announcements.ebay.ca/2014/09/30/7633/ 

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Let's be honest here.  The eBay announcement is short on facts.  Readers can find much more information on the split in the business section of their newspaper or online.

My next question on the subject - understanding it may be a bit premature - do you see the possibility of eBay bringing back Billpoint (or a similar program) as the favoured payment system once PayPal is independent of eBay?

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

My next question on the subject - understanding it may be a bit premature - do you see the possibility of eBay bringing back Billpoint (or a similar program) as the favoured payment system once PayPal is independent of eBay?

I honestly don't see anything of the sort happening.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@greenmangoes wrote:

Thanks!

Hello greenmangoes,

Just to be clear, there are no problems for .com buyers to add items to the shopping cart on eBay.ca, this is actually the work around that I proposed in last week's chat. The problem is with adding eBay.ca items into the shopping cart on eBay.com, something that we still don't have a date for, but are working to get prioritized.

I see a lot of questions about this on the forums from both buyers and sellers over the years so I'm wondering why it's taking so long to get "prioritized"? I'm not really sure the importance of this is realized for us sellers 😞

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Let's be honest here.  The eBay announcement is short on facts.  Readers can find much more information on the split in the business section of their newspaper or online.

Or maybe add Interac e-Transfer as an option for buyers who don't have a credit card?

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

When I view my listings then click on sold listings, it shows that I had about 18 sales in September. But I actually sold over 30 items. Why is there a difference?

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@greenmangoes wrote:
I see a lot of questions about this on the forums from both buyers and sellers over the years so I'm wondering why it's taking so long to get "prioritized"? I'm not really sure the importance of this is realized for us sellers 😞

Trust me when I say there is no one better positioned than us, your loyal eBay Canada employees, to know & understand the importance of fixing the US shopping cart to accept Canadian items. However, as I mentioned in previous weekly chats, the US shopping cart is designed and maintained for the US market first and foremost, and unfortunately, Canadian items represent a very small percentage of the eBay.com inventory. This is why getting prioritized requires work. 

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@greenmangoes wrote:
Or maybe add Interac e-Transfer as an option for buyers who don't have a credit card?

Interac e-Transfers only work in Canada. eBay being an international platform might not make this the best match.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Another question relating to closed and to sold listings...

I've noticed this on my listings as well as on other sellers listings for the last couple of weeks.  If I click on a seller's sold listings and then click into each of their individual listings, many of the listing do not show a shipping cost at all even though their was a shipping cost on the original listing. Is this a temporary glitch?

When sellers are pricing their items, they often compare sold items using the total of the item cost and shipping price. It's impossible to do that for all items right now.

hmmm...I have another question about this but my mind has blanked out.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

When I view my listings then click on sold listings, it shows that I had about 18 sales in September. But I actually sold over 30 items. Why is there a difference?

Hi pjcdn2005,

I see over 30 items sold in September in your account. 

Thanks,

Ryanne

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Another question relating to closed and to sold listings...

I've noticed this on my listings as well as on other sellers listings for the last couple of weeks.  If I click on a seller's sold listings and then click into each of their individual listings, many of the listing do not show a shipping cost at all even though their was a shipping cost on the original listing. Is this a temporary glitch?

When sellers are pricing their items, they often compare sold items using the total of the item cost and shipping price. It's impossible to do that for all items right now.

hmmm...I have another question about this but my mind has blanked out.

Hi pjcdn2005,

Can you give me a specific seller ID or some item numbers which you've observed to have this problem?

Thanks!

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

In the last session we were asked to comment on the new U.S. boards.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the new format. Every time I go to a new thread I have to scroll past the top part of the page which is basically wasted with white space.

Also, when I look at the list of threads, it is confusing to see who started the topic. It is easy to think that the person who last posted is the one that started the topic.

It would be very nice if there was an ignore poster feature on the boards such as the one they had on the previous boards before lithium.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

I have to run but will email you about it later.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@greenmangoes wrote:

Trust me when I say there is no one better positioned than us, your loyal eBay Canada employees, to know & understand the importance of fixing the US shopping cart to accept Canadian items. However, as I mentioned in previous weekly chats, the US shopping cart is designed and maintained for the US market first and foremost, and unfortunately, Canadian items represent a very small percentage of the eBay.com inventory. This is why getting prioritized requires work. 

Ok... Good to know that we are not being ignored.  Please keep working at this for us 🙂

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Hi there!

Why is our monthly limit decreasing in value? Last month it was up to 5 items or $400, this month is up to 5 items and $300.

We haven't sell anything since July. We don't have any recent history of bad transactions. How can we increase our selling limit if there is a constant non-explained decrease in it? How can we sell anything when we can't list larger # of items and when we can expect that our items are not easily visible to buyers?

Our story that preceded to selling limit is following:

We sold during last Christmas Season 3 items. Two of them went to Russia, one went to Ukraine. We sent them with Canada post small surface package, because customers requested the cheapest way possible. We had receipts that clearly showed a) Russian and Ukraine post codes, b) date of shipping and c) place which we shipped from, but not tracking numbers, only because small packet doesn't have a tracking #. If buyers wanted one, shipping price would be significantly higher and they didn't want to pay unnecessary expense.
It appears that buyer from Russia, who bought 2 items, knew how to cheat! That person acted dishonestly and unfairly from the beginning! First, buyer requested surface-small package and then before even 3 weeks ended (which is ridiculous, everybody knows that through the Christmas Season shipping takes forever, especially surface!!!) opened 2 cases for 2 non-received items against us! The buyer clearly knew the importance of tracking # and constantly kept asking us for the tracking #, pretended it didn't know about it's own request for the surface small package,....Of course, we didn't have a tracking #.
When the buyer from Ukraine saw how naive we were it took advantage of us as well! Our explanation that it is Christmas, packages take time, that their counters were at the beginning of the war, that they asked for surface shipping and small package, did not help! We let the cases closed by it's self giving more time for the items to arrive, and we pleaded for understanding, but e-bay took that against us. We now had 3 cases closed to our disadvantage!
E-bay gave money back to those people, plus awarded them with free shipping that we paid for it and punished us! We now have limit of selling.

Please, advice us what  to do and how to solve this.

Thank you!

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

In the last session we were asked to comment on the new U.S. boards.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the new format. Every time I go to a new thread I have to scroll past the top part of the page which is basically wasted with white space.

Also, when I look at the list of threads, it is confusing to see who started the topic. It is easy to think that the person who last posted is the one that started the topic.

It would be very nice if there was an ignore poster feature on the boards such as the one they had on the previous boards before lithium.

Hi pjcdn2005,

Thanks for the feedback. At this time CA and CAFR won't be getting the new discussion boards and will be keeping the current format.

Thanks,

Ryanne

Message 20 of 22
latest reply