October 29th 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers,

Welcome to our weekly chat! Please start posting at your convenience, we will join you at 1 pm Eastern as usual. See you then!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I've had 2 consecutive shipments arrive with external packaging in good condition except that they had been opened and re-sealed by the Global Shipping Program. When I opened the packaging I found my orders to be damaged/broken product. I'm not impressed and I'm also out over 100 USD.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Would it be possible to have the seller ID included in the search when doing an advanced search?

For example, I would like to be able to search in Music / Records and exclude items I'm not at all interested in. So for example I can now exclude "Bollywood" and "Mauriat" items. I would like to be able to do something like:

-Bollywood -Mauriat -"seller#1_who_repeatedly_lists_the_same_things_I_have_no_interest_in", etc

I've tried this and it doesn't work, unless I'm doing it incorrectly.

I have plenty of saved searches (probably the maximum allowed) for items I am interested in but I like to browse for items that are potentially interesting and the less "noise" I have to deal with the better. 

In this way you can have as many free listing promos as you wish, sellers can list as much as they want as often as they want and I don't have to look at a lot of the same things being listed over and over and over every week. I really don't need to see the same hundreds of items from certain sellers that I've seen numerous times already. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@canarookie wrote:

I've had 2 consecutive shipments arrive with external packaging in good condition except that they had been opened and re-sealed by the Global Shipping Program. When I opened the packaging I found my orders to be damaged/broken product. I'm not impressed and I'm also out over 100 USD.

Hi canarookie,

If you received damaged item via the Global Shipping Program, you should treat this as receiving an item that was not as described. Please go to the eBay Resolution Centre and open a claim for that reason.

Filing claims via the Resolution Centre is the way to report to eBay that a problem occurred with the transaction, regardless of what caused the issue or who is responsible. By choosing the appropriate reason for your report, eBay will be able to connect the dots and take action accordingly. In some cases, depending on which protection program under which your transaction falls, you may be asked to go to PayPal to open a claim.

In cases where it can be determined that damaged was caused in transit after the GSP team handled the package, the seller remains protected from damage to their Seller Performance.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@bozonet wrote:

Would it be possible to have the seller ID included in the search when doing an advanced search?

For example, I would like to be able to search in Music / Records and exclude items I'm not at all interested in. So for example I can now exclude "Bollywood" and "Mauriat" items. I would like to be able to do something like:

-Bollywood -Mauriat -"seller#1_who_repeatedly_lists_the_same_things_I_have_no_interest_in", etc

I've tried this and it doesn't work, unless I'm doing it incorrectly.

I have plenty of saved searches (probably the maximum allowed) for items I am interested in but I like to browse for items that are potentially interesting and the less "noise" I have to deal with the better. 

In this way you can have as many free listing promos as you wish, sellers can list as much as they want as often as they want and I don't have to look at a lot of the same things being listed over and over and over every week. I really don't need to see the same hundreds of items from certain sellers that I've seen numerous times already. 

Hi bozonet,

Advanced Search allows you to search for items from a specific seller, but it doesn't let you exclude all items from a specific seller. You'll just have to find the right balance between using clever search terms as you already do and navigate around items that don't interest you in search results.

If you gave me an actual search query example along with what items/sellers you would like to filter out in the results, I'd be able to better advise you.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

In cases where it can be determined that damaged was caused in transit after the GSP team handled the package, the seller remains protected from damage to their Seller Performance.

What happens if it is determined that the damage was caused during the US leg of the trip (from the seller to the Kentucky hub)? Does the buyer get refunded his/her entire payment, including the GSP portion? This was never clearly explained.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:
What happens if it is determined that the damage was caused during the US leg of the trip (from the seller to the Kentucky hub)? Does the buyer get refunded his/her entire payment, including the GSP portion? This was never clearly explained.

Hi 00nevermind00,

In any case where a buyer receives an item not as described, GSP or not, the buyer should get full compensation as prescribed by the protection program under which they are covered. The only thing that may not be covered in the case of a GSP purchase (or any import for that matter) would be the brokerage and/or duty, which the Canadian government can reimburse via a CBSA program that covers cross-border returns.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

On October 28  I get an email indicating that I can enroll  for Extended Holiday Returns

I did not enroll

My return policy is ... No returns.

Then today  I get another email 

stating.....

Good news for you: Your extended holiday returns will earn you a bonus 5% final value fee discount!  I’m writing to thank you for acting quickly to add extended holiday returns to your listings.

I DID NOT enroll.....

I do not want to see my return policy changed without my permission....

What is going on?

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

On October 28  I get an email indicating that I can enroll  for Extended Holiday Returns

I did not enroll

My return policy is ... No returns.

Then today  I get another email 

stating.....

Good news for you: Your extended holiday returns will earn you a bonus 5% final value fee discount!  I’m writing to thank you for acting quickly to add extended holiday returns to your listings.

I DID NOT enroll.....

I do not want to see my return policy changed without my permission....

What is going on?

Hi cumos55,

Don't worry no one is changing your returns policy without your permission. That would be illegal.

Since we don't have the same resources in Canada as we do in larger markets like the US, we sometimes have to generalize some of our messaging and send everyone the same communication. In this particular case, what was meant by "thank you for acting quickly to add extended holiday returns" was "we thank those of you who did act quickly..." We will try to be more clear in the future, and sorry for any confusion.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

The only thing that may not be covered in the case of a GSP purchase (or any import for that matter) would be the brokerage and/or duty, which the Canadian government can reimburse via a CBSA program that covers cross-border returns.

I don't see how this would be possible Raphael. A GSP item is received without any form of customs documentation so the buyer would have nothing to substantiate a claim with the CBSA.

This point needs to be clarified. The confusion only increases the feeling that buyers may not be made whole (including a refund of all GSP charges) in case the item arrives damaged at the hub.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:
I don't see how this would be possible Raphael. A GSP item is received without any form of customs documentation so the buyer would have nothing to substantiate a claim with the CBSA.

This point needs to be clarified. The confusion only increases the feeling that buyers may not be made whole (including a refund of all GSP charges) in case the item arrives damaged at the hub.

I doubt that an item that arrives at the hub clearly damaged would get shipped through.

When I asked this question to the GSP team last year (what happens to refunds on GSP items), here is what they responded:

GSP Team wrote:

Any additional international shipping and import charges should be refunded automatically to the buyer when the Seller cancels the transaction after PB determines the items cannot be exported due to overweight or any import/export restrictions. If for any reason the Buyer does not get their money back in these circumstances they should contact eBay Customer Service to process the refund.

The same should apply for item not as described claims, until the applicable protection program says otherwise.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I am posting this for rose-dee since she does not seem to be available to do this.

She is having a problem with a new listing and new store category appearing and disappearing in her store.

Topic is here:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/What-s-this-new-wrinkle-Any-other-sellers-seeing-this/m-p...

To sum up the issue, rose-dee created a new listing

171505774045 Elegant 1912 Edwardian Dress in Fine Lavender Wool ~Wearable Sz Reproduction

In store category CUSTOM COUTURE SHOP. I believe this is a new store category in the store.

The listing appears and disappears in her store and in search apparently (read the topic).

One thing I found that appears to be consistently not working is that the store category appears in the eBay store categories but in her listings, the eBay store category is not appearing in her store categories column on the left. Somehow the store category has not been updated in the listing.

There may be other issues with appearing and disappearing but I thought I would point out the issue with the store category not showing in the her listings.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@00nevermind00 wrote:

I doubt that an item that arrives at the hub clearly damaged would get shipped through.

When I asked this question to the GSP team last year (what happens to refunds on GSP items), here is what they responded:

@GSP Team wrote:

Any additional international shipping and import charges should be refunded automatically to the buyer when the Seller cancels the transaction after PB determines the items cannot be exported due to overweight or any import/export restrictions. If for any reason the Buyer does not get their money back in these circumstances they should contact eBay Customer Service to process the refund.

The same should apply for item not as described claims, until the applicable protection program says otherwise.

Thanks Raphael. There really is a big need for a simple and clear explanation of how the GSP works. Not that lawyer-speak Terms & Conditions page, which only the bravest of the braves will read all the way through.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

I am posting this for rose-dee since she does not seem to be available to do this.

She is having a problem with a new listing and new store category appearing and disappearing in her store.

Topic is here:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/What-s-this-new-wrinkle-Any-other-sellers-seeing-this/m-p...

To sum up the issue, rose-dee created a new listing

171505774045 Elegant 1912 Edwardian Dress in Fine Lavender Wool ~Wearable Sz Reproduction

In store category CUSTOM COUTURE SHOP. I believe this is a new store category in the store.

The listing appears and disappears in her store and in search apparently (read the topic).

One thing I found that appears to be consistently not working is that the store category appears in the eBay store categories but in her listings, the eBay store category is not appearing in her store categories column on the left. Somehow the store category has not been updated in the listing.

There may be other issues with appearing and disappearing but I thought I would point out the issue with the store category not showing in the her listings.

Hi pocomocomputing,

I just went to rose-dee's store and I'm unable to reproduce any of the issues mentioned in that thread. All search queries gave me that listing and all her store inventory count showed the correct number any which way I sorted it.

If problems show again, she can email me for faster response than the discussion boards.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:
Thanks Raphael. There really is a big need for a simple and clear explanation of how the GSP works. Not that lawyer-speak Terms & Conditions page, which only the bravest of the braves will read all the way through.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

No worries 🙂 For what it's worth, the soon-to-be-launched eBay Money Back Guarantee should really simplify this kind of questions.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

This concludes this week's chat. Thanks for visiting, we will see you next week!

Message 16 of 16
latest reply