September 2nd 2015 Weekly Session

Hello Canadian eBayers,

September already!? Yup.

Continuing with the new format, I'll leave this thread open for most of the day and come reply to your posts on & off throughout. Here are the bugs reported in the last few sessions which I am still tracking:

• Full shipping FVF charged on combined orders with discounted shipping (dutchman48)
  • SYI form stripping the weight off when switching back to USD on an item that was originally in USD and set up with calculated shipping (block36)
  • SYI preventing relist and Sell Similar if the original listing had a non compliant photo (pierrelebel)
  • Notifications reappearing in the header (pocomocomputing)

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Good morning Raphael.

Over the years I have pointed several "messaging" problems with eBay.  These situations make eBay look like a Mickey Mouse outfit. Why don't you add staffers somewhere to regularly review and edit all messages coming from eBay.

For example, for the last few months, whenever I click on the link to "manage my store" eBay offers me to save $75 on my eBay store fees if I upgrade to the next level.  We are in September and that offer expired in July.

http://pages.ebay.com/promo/2015/0720/DollarOff.html?&_trkparms=%26clkid%3D8713259779792999675

"When is it?

This Promotion will begin on Monday, July 20, 2015, at 00:00:01 PST (12:00AM plus one second), and will end on Sunday, July 26, 2015, at 23:59:59 PT (11:59PM plus 59 seconds), for eBay Stores subscriptions on www.ebay.com or www.ebay.ca (the "Promotion Period")."

You guys can do better.  You guys should do better. You guys must do better.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good morning Raphael.

Over the years I have pointed several "messaging" problems with eBay.  These situations make eBay look like a Mickey Mouse outfit. Why don't you add staffers somewhere to regularly review and edit all messages coming from eBay.

For example, for the last few months, whenever I click on the link to "manage my store" eBay offers me to save $75 on my eBay store fees if I upgrade to the next level.  We are in September and that offer expired in July.

http://pages.ebay.com/promo/2015/0720/DollarOff.html?&_trkparms=%26clkid%3D8713259779792999675

"When is it?

This Promotion will begin on Monday, July 20, 2015, at 00:00:01 PST (12:00AM plus one second), and will end on Sunday, July 26, 2015, at 23:59:59 PT (11:59PM plus 59 seconds), for eBay Stores subscriptions on www.ebay.com or www.ebay.ca (the "Promotion Period")."

You guys can do better.  You guys should do better. You guys must do better.

Hi Pierre,

Can you give me a bit more details, specifically are you referring to the Manage My Store page on eBay.ca, on eBay.com or both?

Likely that this is simply an oversight from the Promo team, but I totally agree it doesn't look great to see expired offers being announced. Thanks for the heads up.

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

Hi Raphael, 

I have a couple of questions today, but I have to dash, so I'll hopefully get them in when I get back in a couple of hours (if this board is still open).  I like this new format, not so rushed for everybody I imagine. 

Cheers! 

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

"are you referring to the Manage My Store page on eBay.ca, on eBay.com or both?"

The promotion was offered on both sites

It does not seem to matter whether I am on eBay.ca or eBay.com.  When I click on the "Seller Manage Store" link (bottom of the store front page) eBay automatically switches me to eBay.com (where the store was first listed over a decade ago)

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"are you referring to the Manage My Store page on eBay.ca, on eBay.com or both?"

The promotion was offered on both sites

It does not seem to matter whether I am on eBay.ca or eBay.com.  When I click on the "Seller Manage Store" link (bottom of the store front page) eBay automatically switches me to eBay.com (where the store was first listed over a decade ago)

Right so the offer shows up on the .com side. This is important because both sites are controlled by different teams. Just to make sure I understand, you are being shown an expired offer on the Manage My Store page on eBay.com. Did I get it right?

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

"Manage My Store page on eBay.com."

That is correct.  eBay sends me to .com even if I log in when the store is on .ca

stores.ebay.ca/Quality-Stamps-at-Fair-Prices

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Manage My Store page on eBay.com."

That is correct.  eBay sends me to .com even if I log in when the store is on .ca

stores.ebay.ca/Quality-Stamps-at-Fair-Prices

I can't see the placement you are referring to when I log into your account. Could you look at this screen shot and tell me if I'm looking at the right place? It's possible that the site isn't showing me the same view as it's showing you because after all, I'm not you, how could I even pretend to be! haha.

If your view is different, would you mind taking a screen capture and send it to me in full size via email? Many thanks!

My_eBay__Manage_My_Store.jpg

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

Morning, I`m wondering what is the best way to send currency to PMG from Canada.

With Ebay only accepting PMG as a grading company we have to send them over the border.

Canada Post does not want currency sent by mail.

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

@featfan58 wrote:

Morning, I`m wondering what is the best way to send currency to PMG from Canada.

With Ebay only accepting PMG as a grading company we have to send them over the border.

Canada Post does not want currency sent by mail.

Hi featfan58,

Unfortunately I don't have a good answer to that question. I've been working to change the policy to include Canadian numismatics grading companies to the list of eBay approved grading companies, but at this time I can't say if/when we can hope to see this materialize.

For now I'm afraid all I can do is advise you to follow Canada Post's guidelines and not send currency via regular mail.

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

I`ve got a bunch of bills on the way thru customs today. Not sure if they are going to Florida or coming back to me.

They were in USA customs for 3 days so it doesn't look good.

They were sent express post international with signature needed at a 3 day guaranteed delivery on August 24th.

What a pain. 

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

The advertising message by eBay will change.  "Take your sales to the next level"

Take Your Sales To The Next Level -- Learn More

May be one of them.  The $75.00 off (ended in July) may be another, etc...

That message comes immediately above "Manage my Store Summary"

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

The advertising message by eBay will change.  "Take your sales to the next level"

Take Your Sales To The Next Level -- Learn More

May be one of them.  The $75.00 off (ended in July) may be another, etc...

That message comes immediately above "Manage my Store Summary"

Thanks PIerre. I've sent this to the US Promo team.

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

Thank you Raphael.

If you can spare a minute or two, could you please take a look at:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/EARTH-TO-EBAY-Any-Web-Programmwers-on-Staff/m-p/311949#U31...

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Thank you Raphael.

If you can spare a minute or two, could you please take a look at:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/EARTH-TO-EBAY-Any-Web-Programmwers-on-Staff/m-p/311949#U31...

I got a good chuckle reading some of the comments on that thread Smiley Very Happy

Looking at this user's My eBay, every item they are bidding on currently show the correct price colour according to whether they are the winning bidder or not. The auction for the item that seemed to show an issue is now finished (with a bright red price).

Unfortunately, I don't have anything to look at here.

Message 15 of 47
latest reply

Good afternoon, Raphael.

There is some oddity with UPCs again. It's been reported by myself and another member this time. 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/UPC-Problem-Again/td-p/312064

and 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Listing-Tools/Product-Identifier-error-UPC-missing-value/td-p/311...

Can you look into what is happening here? What's is wrong with my listing? I don't see anything wrong with it and was never told it was incorrect until Aug. 31. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/THE-LEGO-MOVIE-UNIKITTY-ANGRY-KITTY-LEDLITE-Key-Light-Flashlight-ring-set-of-...

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

Also, my old 'friend' is back.... the one who has been harassing me steadily for the past year. You can check my messages: they are flagged. I am also now being 'followed' by this user and it isn't intending to be flattering. The member in questions has me confused with someone else. (Someone that I don't know, halfway across the company.) I called ebay Customer Support about this over the weekend. What else can I do? The user is telling me he will match 'blow for blow' on ebay whatever this other person is doing to him or....? I'm at a loss. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. It would be ever so nice if people could just behave themselves, wouldn't it? 

Message 17 of 47
latest reply

Finally, a great big Kudo to you for the format change that allows us as members a little more time to seek your assistance. I like the shift to a longer 'board hour' and it works very well for me. Thank you.

Also, the 'free listing' promotions for August and September have been awesome. Much appreciated. Thank you, ebay! 

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

OK, I'm back from grocery shopping in Digby, hopefully not too late to get these questions in. 

My first question is about the current 80-item promo that started yesterday: http://pages.ebay.ca/promo/2015/0901/80Listings.html

One Canadian seller pointed out yesterday -- and correctly I believe -- that if you want to use your normal monthly allotment of free listings for September, you'd have to use up all 80 promo listings in September first.   This is because the listed items get counted first against the promo, then only after the promo listings are exhausted can a seller access their usual allotment of free listings for the month.  This seems to defeat the purpose of having a promo extending over 6 weeks.  

In other words, it seems that the only sellers who can really make any use of this promo in October will be those who have very few items to list (or relist) at all, if you understand what I'm getting at.  That's too bad, because it would have been nice to be able to split those extra free listings up between September and October.  

I'm wondering if this was deliberate, or did no one at eBay stop to think about the practical application of a promo straddling two months?  Maybe next time they can give us a portion one month and a second promo for the remainder starting on the first of the following month?  

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

I thought I'd post this question separately, as it's a completely different subject.  

I want to bring something to your attention that I ran into this week as a buyer on eBay, which was also an unpleasant surprise from my viewpoint as a seller.  

I play classical guitar and was looking for a particular set of replacement strings.  To start with, I entered "classical guitar strings" in the general search box.  This pulled up a not terribly long list of different makes of strings in that category, from various parts of the planet.  I tried to narrow the search (by maker) with the drop-down filter at the top left.  The pop-up box that appeared ("see all choices") did not include "Augustine", which was the type I was after (and which is a favourite amongst guitarists).  This seemed very odd.  I knew there absolutely must be sellers of this brand on eBay, so I did I search on the specific description: "Augustine classical guitar strings" and voilà!  Suddenly there they were, dozens of them.  

I was thinking that had I been an inexperienced eBay buyer, I would simply have assumed that Augustine strings didn't exist at all on eBay and would have gone to, well, ahem, that other site... 

My question on this particular experience is this: why does eBay have a list of brands if a brand that is represented by a substantial number of listings isn't included?  Why have a filter list at all unless all major brands are included?  

I assume (am I right?) that the sellers of the Augustine strings did not fill out the Item Specifics (i.e. brand name), and therefore didn't get into the list.  However, from a buyer's perspective (and eBay's too), it isn't going to sell if it's invisible -- and a buyer is likely to try to narrow his search down using that list.  I would think this neither serves buyers nor eBay well.  

Message 20 of 47
latest reply