August 30 2017 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Howdy everyone -

The chat is open! We'll begin responding 08/30 at 1 pm EDT.

It's still tentative, but here is a list of current reported issues, and where we stand with them. Thanks for your patience while I work with other teams and departments to get things resolved!

Issue Status Latest Update Action taken/Next Steps
Handling times not being added properly  Open No update at this point Waiting for tech team's response
Shipping Cost Cannot Be Calculated Error On Us/int'l Sites For CA Listings Open "This fix is pending."  
Seller Hub shipping reminders on items that have been marked as shipped on eBay.ca Open Ticket Filed Waiting for tech team's response
Guides written on .UK are now missing without a trace Open Update requested 08/29 Waiting for response
Link to relist item from eBay message to seller's private email will not load  Open Requesting update 08/30 if no response All requested info provided to tech
Shipping calculator not factoring regional shipping differences in delivery estimate Open No update at this point Waiting for tech team's response
Sold email formats have changed - test or intentional? Information Requested Update requested 08/26 Waiting for response
Total number of items fluctuates when you hit refresh Open Update requested 08/26 Waiting for response
Seller Dashboard showing 20% instead of 10% Open Update requested 08/26 Waiting for response
Help page for seller non performance is outdated and wrong In Progress Change submitted to proper team Waiting for confirmation of changes
"Too Many Redirects" In Progress Need further input Update impacted threads with tech's requests
Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

@recyclemikey wrote:

hi, several times now since Paypal switched to the new Canadian shipping system, I've been charged with extra fees after the item ships.

I weigh the item in KG, measure it in CM and confirm those measurements & weights when I drop it off at the post office.  Yet a week - 10 days go by and I always seem to get charged an extra $1.50-$4.00 for some reason.

why is that?

This happened to me several times a few months ago.  I would see an additional $2 or $3 charged to my account after the fact.  It has to do with volumetric vs actual weight.

You may have noticed this at the top of your label creation page on PayPal.

PayPal Volumetric.jpg

When you click on the guide, there are detailed instructions on how to calculate the volumetric weight and it is clear that it is up to the purchaser to ensure the correct weight is entered.

Many packages I shipped were the same size and weight -- 28 x 20 x 12 cm weighing .90 kg.  I assumed that PayPal was calculating the proper measure, and I believe they were supposed to; however my additional charges continued.

Then I switched to Snap Ship where they were offering a discount until July 31st.  I entered the measurements noted above and the following showed up on my label summary:

1 Box 

28.0cm x 20.0cm x 12.0cm

0.900 kg

1.35 kg (VE) ?

When I saw the 1.35 kg weight, I clicked on the question mark and saw:

The weight and dimensions of your package are used to calculate the volumetric equivalent.

So I knew that Snap Ship was calculating correctly and I never received any additional charges.

This month I switched to Shippo but I haven't had occasion to ship a parcel with these dimensions.  I'm hopeful they are automatically converting to Volumetric where necessary.

You might want to look at Item 3.4 in this Canada Post link:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGabcmail-e.asp#1378832

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. 

Also regarding UPC approx. 98% of the time I get a red text (after the wheel spinning for a longggggggg time) "You have entered an invalid UPC " Seriously, it's physically in front of me. A more "respectful" msg. may be "Sorry, this UPC # is not in our catalogue" The only option left is "does not apply". Also note, this invalid msg is mainly if the LP was manufactured outside of the USA. ( .ca and it only accepts made in USA ???)

In lieu of above, what effect does this have on my listings?

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

@dustmite007 wrote:

I am still waiting for my Seller Dashboard to show only 10% discount instead of 20%. It is annoying to continually see that.  I have noticed another problem in my Seller Dashboard in the last couple of weeks.  The Monthly Breakdown of sales has not been showing the amount of dollars sold for each month only the transaction amounts.

Another thing that I have noticed in keeping track of the last year is that my sales fluctuate very strangely each month. I will have steady sales for a couple of weeks & then nothing for 1-2 weeks. The page views also are less. It is like my listings are not showing up at all & then all of a sudden they are back. What is causing this every month? As a paying store subscriber I believe the listings should be promoted for the whole month I am paying for not just a couple of weeks.

Hi @2nd-time-around-jewelry - I'm sorry that I don't have an update for you on the discount display on your dashboard. As I hear back I will keep you posted. When it comes to monthly breakdown from your dashboard page it should be splitting number of unique transactions and monthly totals. Will you send me a screenshot so I can do more testing/report it?

When it comes to views - I can tell you that your listings are searchable and visible while they are active. While traffic isn't something that is guaranteed to be consistent from week to week or month to month, I'd encourage you to do some research on other members in the same categories: are they doing anything different when you see your views go down? Item markdowns, new inventory, promoted listings are all examples of things that could draw attention to their items over yours in search, making your views go down.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@kitschnvintage wrote:

Hi I have noticed for the past 3 weeks or so that when I am on ebay Canada I am getting directed to items that are not available for shipping to Canada. The Sellers do not have Canada listed in their ship to options, but they do not have Canada in their excluded locations list either. I think I have noticed it once while searching through a specific category but mostly they come up as ebay's "items you might also be interested in"  at the bottom of my watch list or "items other people looked at "  at the bottom of a specific listing I am looking at. I have to say this is a little annoying because sometimes I am actually interested in the item and I know I have to contact the Seller first to make sure they would be willing to ship to me in Canada and can accept PayPal payments from non-US buyers ... here is one example .... this must/could lead to a lot of buyer and seller frustration

noshipcanada1.PNGnoshipcanada2.PNG

Hi @kitschnvintage - that's an interesting issue to be certain! I'm wondering if it's pulling items that have 'worldwide' shipping selected but no actual shipping service, which kicks back the 'may ship to' messaging. Thanks for the screenshots, I'll do some digging and get an update when I have one. Either way (intentional or accidental) definitely a potentially confusing experience that we could make better by simply eliminating those from cross promotion unless they can generate a specific postage cost to the buyer's location.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

The Groups section of the eBay Community needs some cleaning up. Some groups there were not active since their initial creation in 2013. Some are more like posts asking for help without replies. Others are product reviews. One group is soliciting eBay members to work for them. 

Does anyone ever read them from eBay staff or more important, the forum moderators? 

I know now that most if not all groups are inactive so not a very important issue. 

This is a really good call out @pocomocomputing - I know that I don't spend time in groups (I focus most of my time on Seller Central, M2Ms and the Weekly Chat), and that mods will respond to abuse reports in groups, but I'm not sure they're actively perusing them.

I also know that we're working on new formatting and archiving to hopefully cut down on the clutter. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 25 of 29
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hi, my question is also about the need for product identifiers such as UPC numbers. I have been using "does not apply" when I don't have anything else. Some of my items are new but I really can't call them vintage even though they are pre UPC. Some have only 10 numbers or the UPC numbers are British or European and the form won't accept them so I have to use the "does not apply". These items never seem to sell so I think they are not being seen in search. What is the alternative since we are told that we must have product identifiers. Most if not all, do have MPN numbers which I do add to item specifics but the occasional one has nothing.  We were told that eBay would give us numbers to use instead of the does not apply. Trying to do everything properly but can't if we aren't given the tools to do so. What to do?

Thanks.

Hi @msmaggie060 - it sounds as though you are doing everything you can, thank you for that. If you have European MPNs those should still be being recognized and accepted as long as they are valid numbers there - will you send me a few that you're having difficulties with and I'll also see what I can find out?

Ultimately, if an item does not have a UPC/MPN number please use Does Not Apply. An item won't be penalized for not having it. However, items that have valid product identifiers may end up getting more exposure as it becomes easier for the site to cross-promote them.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@izzame wrote:

Thank you for your reply. 

Also regarding UPC approx. 98% of the time I get a red text (after the wheel spinning for a longggggggg time) "You have entered an invalid UPC " Seriously, it's physically in front of me. A more "respectful" msg. may be "Sorry, this UPC # is not in our catalogue" The only option left is "does not apply". Also note, this invalid msg is mainly if the LP was manufactured outside of the USA. ( .ca and it only accepts made in USA ???)

In lieu of above, what effect does this have on my listings?

If listing an item as 'Does not apply' and there is not a valid UPC, there is not an effect on your listing. If there is a valid UPC that other members are using they are more likely to rank higher in search results than the same item that has 'Does not apply'.

If the listing form is not validating the UPC we recommend using a UPC validator to confirm it is accurate. Happy to review specifics if you'll PM me more detail!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 27 of 29
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining us this week - the chat is now closed.

See you next week!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Hi consignmentsales-ca, 

PayPal is no longer part of eBay; you need to bring this up with them. Or you can reach out to Canada Post to find out why you're being charged afterwards. 

Alternatively, you can use eBay's new label printing plaform, Shippo, which willl also give you discounts on CPC rates. 

@recyclemikey wrote:

hi, several times now since Paypal switched to the new Canadian shipping system, I've been charged with extra fees after the item ships.

I weigh the item in KG, measure it in CM and confirm those measurements & weights when I drop it off at the post office.  Yet a week - 10 days go by and I always seem to get charged an extra $1.50-$4.00 for some reason.

why is that?

and speaking of shipping.. why am I charged a shipping final value fee when I charge actual shipping fees?  Do you want me to add an extra 10-25% on top of the correct rates to cover these costs?  I don't see who is benefiting from that, it's certainly not the buyer.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply