June 14 2017 Weekly Session - Moving to June 15

qottie
Community Member

Hello everyone,

Opening up the thread for our Weekly Chat Session for June 14, 2017.  Note that we will be moving our response time to 3 pm ET tomorrow (June 15 2017). This thread will be open until tomorrow, so please post any questions or subjects for which you would like eBay support.

Many of you have requested an ongoing list of open and resolved items, so we will try to keep a running list going when we open these weekly chats.  Here is the current version - more detailed responses can be found in last week's chat thread.

Open issues:

• Browse pages and Search pages showing different results for same category
  • Some Search pages show watchers, some don't
  • Items missing from combined invoice - we need more details to investigate.  Can the original reporter please let us know the status
  • Search results page shows shipping costs inconsistent with what's on the item pages - We are working with the Shipping team to figure out the issue and a solution. 
  • Shipping Calculator returning erroneous rates
  • Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinations - still no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Adding Economy International Shipping - requested here
  • Handling times not being added properly - requested here
  • Link to Community located on Feedback page points to eBay.com - bug report filed on our end

Updates:

• Review Economy Intl Shipping EDDs for Canadian items listed on eBay.com - Resolved
  • "Apply my Combined Shipping Discounts" option unavailable on Revise - Resolved
  • Incomplete ID History - Resolved
  • Request Total unavailable - Resolved 
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - Resolved

Speak to you tomorrow!

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

@dutchman48 wrote:

Off the US boards:

With regards to returns, I have been reading of late that for a US seller that ships internationally, and cannot provide a return shipping label to a buyer out of the US,  ebay is saying to send "cash" via PayPal.

This is sort of unbelievable.  Suppose the buyer simply keeps the cash and does not return the item? Is there any recouse for the seller should this happen? 

Thank you  in advance. 

Sending money is only one option; the seller can also provide a prepaid label for the buyer to use.  It is up to the seller to select the option that will work best for them. We don't offer protection for the situation you describe and would recommend providing a label if you are concerned.

What is the situation on the .ca boards since we are separate as personally, I find this absolutely absurd.

@dutchman48,

I can give you a high-level answer.  Shipping internationally is a tough one, since for the national carriers (Canada Post, USPS), they don't have operations outside of their own country.  Hence, sending a return shipping label is pointless, since there is no way to induct the package from the buyer location.

So, in general there are several ways to handle this.  Many sellers do ask buyers to ship the item back and then pay them back for the shipping, which I believe is the quote from above. There are also situations where sellers buy shipping for the buyer from a foreign carrier (ie. on the USPS site, stamps.com, etc.) to enable the buyer to send the item back.  There are also other methods to remedy this situation, but in general it is on a case-by-case basis and based on communication between the buyer and seller.

One thing we are really excited about is that, with the new Shippo platform, sellers can add accounts from carriers other than just domestic carriers, and then use Shippo to buy return postage.  This should make it easier for sellers to manage international returns.

Message 41 of 46
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@musicyouneed wrote:

Also last week you said that using advanced search I could search to see what listings on listed on .com and what on .ca.  I tried to do that and on both sites this is what I got.  It doesn't allow me to search that way.

advanced search.jpg

Hmm. That looks like selling manager to me. But it appears you can no longer do this in eBay's general advanced search either. 

What may help you is that you can now tell by currency. If you have a listing in CAD, then it was created on eBay.ca, and if you have a listing in USD, then it was creataed on eBay.com. We haven't permitted live listings to be created in USD for quite some time now, and all the old GTC listings created in USD on eBay.ca have sold, expired, or been ended. 

Message 42 of 46
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

As some of my questions point out, Ebay is very willing to bend over and benefit the seller but when it comes time to benefit the seller, they do nothing except say that is not in policy.

It is OK to manipulate policy for the benefit of the seller, but not for the buyer.

It's a marketplace. We have to manage issues between sellers and buyers as best we can. I hear you that you feel it's one-sided. But it isn't.

Message 43 of 46
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Also from the US boards in regards to address changes:

Just to triple clarify this .........

On the chat on May 10th  it was said if we refund a buyer WITHOUT cancelling the transaction that we will earn a defect.

So, if a buyer wants to change their address, we have to actually cancel the sale stating there is problem with the buyer's address, wait for them to agree to it, and  then relist.  In the meantime, some sellers limits can be hit and they may not be able to relist .

Seems easier to just send the item that came with the original payment and leave the buyer on the hook.

Hi  - If you issue a refund without a cancellation or a return happening, a defect would apply. That said, if your buyer needs to change their address and they notify you through the eBay messaging system, you are protected through Seller Protection if you change to the address requested. Just make sure that the communication happens through our system. slight smile

Does Ebay.ca also use this unwritten policy, and if so, why is it not put into written policy?

Do all of the other countries also have this policy as a claim from another Ebay site will fall under their jurisdiction.

Also, and please don't reply that you don't know Paypal's policy, will they also honor this type of change as of course, they don't have access to emails and have different policies.

If you do the address change, and Paypal says no way  and finds for the buyer, you are SOL. What will Ebay do, if anything

This type of issue needs to be clarified between the 2 and Ebay needs to quit handing out defects in these situation where the seller has done nothing wrong and is only protecting himself or herself in Ebay's unwritten interpretation of unwritten policies.

@dutchman48 - If a buyer sends you a request to change their address and they notify you through eBay Messages, you are protected through Seller Protection if you change to the address requested. As this is considered an uncommon situation when compared to the overall number of transactions on the site, the handling of this one-off scenario was not written into public facing Help pages.

This would apply to any transaction that qualified for coverage with eBay Money Back Guarantee.

I cannot answer questions about PayPal claims process, however I do know that they do not have access to eBay messages.

If a buyer chooses to open a dispute with PayPal rather than eBay, there are not protections that we provide.

If a buyer requests a change of address via eBay messages and you do not feel comfortable completing that sale, you can definitely consider cancelling the transaction with the 'Buyer requested or issue with the buyer's address', which would not impact your account performance. If you do ship to the requested new address and the buyer opens an INR on eBay and it scans as delivered we would protect you without impact to your account.

If you have a specific case you'd like me to look at and address please feel free to PM. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 44 of 46
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Does Ebay.ca, since we are separate, also have the unwritten policy that allows a blocked buyer to circumvent the block by using a different ID is allowed if there is supposedly no intent to harm the seller?

If so, what good are the blocks?

If there is an issue after the fact, will Ebay cover the seller.

@dutchman48 - a buyer circumventing your blocks by creating another id is against policy. http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/unwelcome-buying.html.

There is not an unwritten policy that allows exceptions to this that I am aware of. Again, if you have specifics you'd like me to look at please send them via PM. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 45 of 46
latest reply

@dustmite007 wrote:

I have been having trouble lately with buyers from the US paying for multiple items. I have sent them a combined shipping invoice. And they are not able to pay. It does not take them to the PayPal link. This is very frustrating for the seller & buyer.

Hi @2nd-time-around-jewelry,

I just looked into your account, and I noticed that you have your Combined Shipping rules set to work for US$ listings.  I think that this may be your issue, since the rule only applies to US$ listings, not C$ listings which is the currency you list in.  

To be clear, if you list an item on eBay.ca, your listings will always be in C$ since we removed the ability to list in US$.  Even if the buyer is looking at that same listing on eBay.com where it shows the item price in US$ (that is a calculated estimate to help buyers with the price conversion) it is still a C$ listing.

To fix this:

- go to My eBay > Site Preferences > Shipping Preferences, and click Show

- beside "Offer combined payments and shipping" click "Edit"

- Under "Currency" click "edit"

- In the overlay that comes up, go to the "Currency" step, and make sure that you choose "Apply the discount rules for the items listed with:" and select C$.

Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 4.46.59 PM.png

Hopefully this helps.  Let me know if you have any more issues.

Message 46 of 46
latest reply