June 22nd 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. As it is now common, the thread will remain open for the next 24 hours or so, to help those who couldn't make it during the day.

Open issues:

• Errors when uploading more than one tracking number at a time (repeated, erroneous numbers saved)

Updates:

• Printer friendly Order Details page missing items - Resolved - fix to roll out soon.
  • Odd missing gallery picture in search results - There was a general bug fix that was supposed to address this. Will now remove it from the list, if anyone still has that happen to their listings please let me know.
  • FVF on shipping charged on international sales even when there was free domestic shipping - Resolved
  • Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 90
latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

Good morning.

Does management at eBay-Canada offers an official suggestion to Canadian sellers considering the potential postal strike scheduled for ten days from now?

Message 2 of 90
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good morning.

Does management at eBay-Canada offers an official suggestion to Canadian sellers considering the potential postal strike scheduled for ten days from now?

Hello Pierre,

We do, and we posted a first announcement on this topic yesterday: http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/06/21/7803/

Since we will have solid protection against defects caused by the postal disruption, we recommend for sellers to continue running their business as usual.

Message 3 of 90
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good morning.

Hello Pierre,

We do, and we posted a first announcement on this topic yesterday: http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/06/21/7803/

Since we will have solid protection against defects caused by the postal disruption, we recommend for sellers to continue running their business as usual.

Does this include items sent Canada Lettermail and US / International Light Packet where there is no tracking available? Or does this only included items that include tracking?

Message 4 of 90
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.

Personally I will ignore the recommendation from eBay-Canada and close my eBay store (and hide all fixed price listings) on Friday morning June 24th to prevent any potential problems.

I frankly do not care about the so-called "protection" eBay may give Canadian sellers against "defaults".  It is meaningless to me. 

My number one priority has always been and will continue to be: service to my customers.  To accept money from buyers knowing there is a substantial risk of delay in delivering their purchases is not what I do. 

It does not make business sense to me.  It is just wrong.

Message 5 of 90
latest reply

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good morning.

Hello Pierre,

Does this include items sent Canada Lettermail and US / International Light Packet where there is no tracking available? Or does this only included items that include tracking?

We will protect all sellers impacted by the postal disruption, regardless of whether they used tracking or whether they were shipping from Canada or into Canada.

Message 6 of 90
latest reply

Message 7 of 90
latest reply

Good Morning, Raphael,

Further to our exchange of emails last week I still did not get a phone call from eBay regarding MIGRATION table.

You offered me to ask Mat Ste-Marie to call me and I would like to use this offer - I am really struggling with MIGRATION tool and did not figure out the smart use of it. 

Thank you.

Message 8 of 90
latest reply

We are in the process of switching all of our listings to .com and listing in US dollars.  We were wondering if we could open up a new account and also sell in canadian dollars under the new username but make it so those canadian listings ONLY appear on ebay.ca and not .com? (we know we can exclude US buyers but we don't want to flood the system with a bunch of the same listings however we want to add a canadian price point (cheaper than exchange) for our canadian buyers.

Thanks

Message 9 of 90
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

There have been several threads over the last week about purchases missing on eBay (still visible on PayPal).

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Site-Issues/ebay-purchase-historys-got-alzheimers/m-p/341214#U341214

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Item-Missing-from-Purchase-History/m-p/341032#U341032

-..-

Hi ypdc_dennis,

This is fixed or in progress of being fixed. It was caused by a batch process that copies older over to archive tables and which had fallen behind a bit, causing some items to not be visible. That process has been catching up since mid week last week, pretty sure it's caught up now or close to being caught up. Any items still missing should reappear shortly.

Message 10 of 90
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

Personally I will ignore the recommendation from eBay-Canada and close my eBay store (and hide all fixed price listings) on Friday morning June 24th to prevent any potential problems.

I frankly do not care about the so-called "protection" eBay may give Canadian sellers against "defaults".  It is meaningless to me. 

My number one priority has always been and will continue to be: service to my customers.  To accept money from buyers knowing there is a substantial risk of delay in delivering their purchases is not what I do. 

It does not make business sense to me.  It is just wrong.

Obviously it is up to each seller to decide what they prefer to do in response to the Canada Post disruption. However shutting down operations may not be the only solution, for example, a seller might opt to add prominent messaging in their listing descriptions to alert buyers of the Canada Post disruptions. eBay will also implement measures to help with that, something we will announce shortly.

If buyers know and understand what is going on as they enter a transaction, it's unlikely that they would consider shipment delays as bad service from the seller or from eBay.

Message 11 of 90
latest reply

@block36 wrote:

Good Morning, Raphael,

Further to our exchange of emails last week I still did not get a phone call from eBay regarding MIGRATION table.

You offered me to ask Mat Ste-Marie to call me and I would like to use this offer - I am really struggling with MIGRATION tool and did not figure out the smart use of it. 

Thank you.

Hello block36,

Perfect, I'll reach out to Mat and ask him to get in touch with you.

Message 12 of 90
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good morning.

Hello Pierre,

We will protect all sellers impacted by the postal disruption, regardless of whether they used tracking or whether they were shipping from Canada or into Canada.

I asked before and got no answer.

What about any claims opened against sellers in Canada or by buyers in Canada?

WHAT IS EBAY'S POSITION AND WHAT WILL EBAY AND CS DO IN THOSE CASES?

Message 13 of 90
latest reply

tch_ca
Community Member

Let's continue with the answered questions from last week.

1. As you know (or at least you should) Selling Manager Pro is a free tool available for use with the two top store subscriptions. Since Ebay Canada is now forcing sellers who wish to continue to use mixed currency to list their items on multiple sites, will Ebay be waving the $15.95 fee required to paid for the us of Selling Manager Pro on Ebay.com, even for sellers who have a Canadian store subscription?

2. As a result of laughable development efforts to produce a working migration tool that subsequently caused duplicates, sold listings being relisted along with other problems that resulted in countless of hours of manual intervention required by sellers to relist and/or cleanup their listings which subsequently resulted in defects for some.  Will Ebay Canada be removing all defects since the announcement of the tool and the migration?

3. Will Ms. Stairs be taking personal responsibility and  formally apologizing to Canadian sellers for the blunders associated with this migration?

Message 14 of 90
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good morning.

Hello Pierre,

dutchman, I did answer you last week, and I have answered this again week already. Again: we will protect all sellers against defects (including INR claims) caused by the postal disruption. What this means is, if a seller gets a defect as a result of the postal disruption, we will either descore (make it not count) it or remove it.

Message 15 of 90
latest reply

tch_ca
Community Member

And a followup on last week's response.

----

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

Raphael,

1. Statistical data that claims that listing in CDN is now more advantageous for Canadian sellers than in USD. I'm looking for details and how and when the study was done. What data was used, what products were used, etc.

The study ran for the year 2015 and looked at all items sold my all Canadian sellers, to any buyers anywhere in the world, across all categories. We then cut that data in many different ways to see where there were variations and found that with a few exceptions, CAD is better pretty much in every case.

This is a little bit a shady response. Can you provide specific data details of they study?. If one actually occurred, the data should be readily available. Things like,  length of data sample, how many samples of each currency, destinations, products, avg price, how was the data "cut", etc....I think it would make the "community" much more comfortable about the decision. Otherwise is just noise to justify the decision...

Message 16 of 90
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good morning.

Hello Pierre,

dutchman, I did answer you last week, and I have answered this again week already. Again: we will protect all sellers against defects (including INR claims) caused by the postal disruption. What this means is, if a seller gets a defect as a result of the postal disruption, we will either descore (make it not count) it or remove it.

PLEASE READ THE QUESTION!

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT DEFECTS, I AM TALKING ABOUT CLAIMS. I SEND AN ITEM OUT AND THERE IS A STRIKE. BUYER OPENS AN INR CLAIM, WILL EBAY TELL BUYER TO WAIT AND FOR HOW LONG?

I BUY AN ITEM AND THERE IS A STRIKE. I OPEN AN INR CLAIM AGAINST THE SELLER. WHAT EXACTLY WILL EBAY DO?

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT DEFECTS, I AM TALKING ABOUT CLAIMS AND THE CS BOTS THAT PAY THEM

WHAT ABOUT RETURNS FOR ITEM ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBED THAT CAN'T BE RETURNED IN TIME DUE TO THE STRIKE.

I WANT SOME SPECIFIC ANSWERS, NO WISHY WASHY EBAY WILL DEAL WITH IT OR LOOK AFTER IT. THAT MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

WILL EBAY PAY CLAIMS OR NOT? IF NOT, HOW LONG WILL IT BE ON HOLD?

EXCUSE THE CAPS AND BOLD, BUT I AM A LITTLE TIRED OF ALL THE WISHY WASHY NO ANSWERS ON THESE CHATS.

I ASK A SPECIFIC QUESTION, AND I WANT A SPECIFIC ANSWER

Message 17 of 90
latest reply

Hi tch_ca

@tch_ca wrote:

Let's continue with the answered questions from last week.

1. As you know (or at least you should) Selling Manager Pro is a free tool available for use with the two top store subscriptions. Since Ebay Canada is now forcing sellers who wish to continue to use mixed currency to list their items on multiple sites, will Ebay be waving the $15.95 fee required to paid for the us of Selling Manager Pro on Ebay.com, even for sellers who have a Canadian store subscription? 

The only thing you get in Selling Manager Pro compared to Selling Manager are marketing and reporting features. It's overkill to have Selling Manager Pro on both sites. Any seller with a store subscription on eBay.ca who chooses to list on both sites and really need the Selling Manager features on eBay.com as well should just use the free Selling Manager subscription on eBay.com. Alternatively, if the Pro features are really necessary on the .com side, you can consider moving your store subscription to eBay.com. However I can='t see a scenario where that would be desirable.

@tch_ca wrote:

2. As a result of laughable development efforts to produce a working migration tool that subsequently caused duplicates, sold listings being relisted along with other problems that resulted in countless of hours of manual intervention required by sellers to relist and/or cleanup their listings which subsequently resulted in defects for some.  Will Ebay Canada be removing all defects since the announcement of the tool and the migration? 

At this time there are no plans to put a defect removal campaign in place. We did enhance the tool with sorting capability between Sold and Unsold several weeks ago, sellers have been able to avoid the issue you mentioned for a while now. With that said, we try to be as fair as we can with such things, so if you have received defects caused by how the tool worked early on, please reach me directly and I'll see what I can do.

@tch_ca wrote:

3. Will Ms. Stairs be taking personal responsibility and  formally apologizing to Canadian sellers for the blunders associated with this migration? 

While I can understand the frustration with us asking many sellers to make significant changes to their listings, I don't think any apology is required for taking steps to ensure long term health for our marketplace. 

Message 18 of 90
latest reply

@tch_ca wrote:

And a followup on last week's response.

----

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

Raphael,

1. Statistical data that claims that listing in CDN is now more advantageous for Canadian sellers than in USD. I'm looking for details and how and when the study was done. What data was used, what products were used, etc.

The study ran for the year 2015 and looked at all items sold my all Canadian sellers, to any buyers anywhere in the world, across all categories. We then cut that data in many different ways to see where there were variations and found that with a few exceptions, CAD is better pretty much in every case.

This is a little bit a shady response. Can you provide specific data details of they study?. If one actually occurred, the data should be readily available. Things like,  length of data sample, how many samples of each currency, destinations, products, avg price, how was the data "cut", etc....I think it would make the "community" much more comfortable about the decision. Otherwise is just noise to justify the decision... 

Sorry you thought my response was shady. It isn't. Our finer data points are confidential, so I can't share our results with as much granularity as you're asking for.

As for how we can justify the decision, logically, we wouldn't be making this decision if we weren't aptly convinced that it was better for the marketplace. Without a healthy Canadian business, our jobs are at risk.

Message 19 of 90
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good morning.

Hello Pierre,

PLEASE READ THE QUESTION!

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT DEFECTS, I AM TALKING ABOUT CLAIMS. I SEND AN ITEM OUT AND THERE IS A STRIKE. BUYER OPENS AN INR CLAIM, WILL EBAY TELL BUYER TO WAIT AND FOR HOW LONG?

I BUY AN ITEM AND THERE IS A STRIKE. I OPEN AN INR CLAIM AGAINST THE SELLER. WHAT EXACTLY WILL EBAY DO?

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT DEFECTS, I AM TALKING ABOUT CLAIMS AND THE CS BOTS THAT PAY THEM

WHAT ABOUT RETURNS FOR ITEM ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBED THAT CAN'T BE RETURNED IN TIME DUE TO THE STRIKE.

I WANT SOME SPECIFIC ANSWERS, NO WISHY WASHY EBAY WILL DEAL WITH IT OR LOOK AFTER IT. THAT MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

WILL EBAY PAY CLAIMS OR NOT? IF NOT, HOW LONG WILL IT BE ON HOLD?

EXCUSE THE CAPS AND BOLD, BUT I AM A LITTLE TIRED OF ALL THE WISHY WASHY NO ANSWERS ON THESE CHATS.

I ASK A SPECIFIC QUESTION, AND I WANT A SPECIFIC ANSWER

Sorry that you aren't satisfied with my previous answer but that is all I can say for now. I can't explain in detail how we will protect against the specific cases you are describing because it's not fully signed off on yet, but yes we will have provisions for INR claims, whether it is proactive or reactive.

One last thing, I'm sorry that you're frustrated but I will no longer respond to posts like this going forward. This is borderline abusive. Keep it civil, please.

Message 20 of 90
latest reply