May 24th 2017 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Howdy everyone -

Based on feedback from last week's chat we're amending our process on the weekly chat.

Opening this up now until tomorrow. Hopefully that gives you more time to get your questions posted!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Thank you. I have a question about the Product Catalogue and sellers' photos.

Where are sellers in Canada allowed to opt-out so that I may I make it absolutely clear that I don't consent to my photos being used in the Product Catalogue? 

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Thank you so much! I really, really hope someone here can help me with my situation. Here's some details about what happened (and you can read my eBay messages if you want to have more insight):

Got a message from a buyer on May 21st asking to send an offer on one of my items. Said his "old" computer would not let him send an offer. It was soon followed by another message from another user ID asking if I can hold the item for him until May 22 because he will have the money then. Then he buys anyway at full price. I know they are the same person because the name of the buyer matches the user ID of the first one. Anyway, I write to him thanking him for his purchase and telling him I would only ship Tuesday as today is a holiday.

May 22, got 2 messages from the buyer asking for a cancellation, because of a "family emergency". I was upset but did not say a word and sent the cancellation request and refund. After that, I decided to check my site preferences to see if the first ID was blocked for a specific reason. And I discovered that BOTH were for too many UID and/or no PP accounts. How did he manage to buy anyway, I have no idea!! Both were added to my BBL immediately after that!

Then he has the nerves to create another ID and buy the item AGAIN. Not long after he purchased the item, he asked for a cancellation AGAIN. I already refunded him and cancelled, but I'm now living in constant fear he will continue his stupid game. If I am not mistaken, multiple purchases by a Blocked Buyer followed by multiple cancellations are considered as malicious yes? Is there a way to stop this buyer? Thank you.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Hi Tyler, I had brought this up last year to Raphael where some listings would show the amount of watchers on the search page and others wouldn't and I wanted to know why.  I list on both .com and .ca and none of my watchers show up on either site.

watchers.jpgmy watchers.jpg

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

I also have to agree with MJ on this one.  Most of my time doing a listing is taking photographs, choosing the best ones and cropping them.  Listing the item is a breeze, it is the picture taking that takes most of my time.  I do not wish to have other sellers be lazy and utilize my hard work.  I liked the fact that ebay still watermarks on .ca, but even with that, I have caught one seller still using my pictures.  

My philosophy is do your own hard work and don't piggy back on mine.  

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Howdy back,

When is eBay.ca going to be removing the pointless advertising (active content) from the site so users can enjoy a trouble free surfing experience without the site constantly slowing down and freezing up? 

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Hi - I am very concerned about no longer being able to print shipping labels online.  Paypal worked great for years. Now it is useless.  It says to enter the account info for Canada post.  When I enter my Ventureone number I get an error message saying they are unable to process my request and to try again later.  When I went to my local Post office today and used my Ventureone card it worked with no problem at all. 

I only use Paypal to print online labels so I hope the new Shippo service will accept paypal or I will be forced to spend hours every month filling in customs forms by hand instead of simply printing them out online.  I am very concerned about this and would appreciate some real info on the online label situation.  Thanks.

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Hello,

We are located in Canada and have an alternate shipping address

at a location in the USA on the USA /Canada border

where we can have parcels sent by Sellers who ship ONLY to the USA.

However, we find that, because we are in Canada, we are BLOCKED from EVEN VIEWING

auctions listed by Sellers who SHIP ONLY TO THE USA.

Why is that? 

There are many Canadians who have arranged for a shipping address in the USA

and yet are not able to VIEW auctions listed by USA  sellers who ship ONLY to the USA.

Would appreciate a good reason for this. 

Buyers should not be blocked from viewing auctions. 

eBay does not know who has arranged for an alternate shipping address.

There are many Asian/European buyers who use USA shipping companies

located at various places in California or Florida to name a couple of states. 

Are they blocked from viewing auctions from Sellers who ship only to the USA?

How about sellers who ship to Canada ONLY.  Are buyers blocked from viewing their auctions

if they are in another country and have a mailing address in Canada?

Seems to us this would result in a loss of sales for many sellers.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Hi I have a question about ebay user names / id ~ I created a second (selling) account but the sign up flow did not allow me to choose my own user name ~ instead ebay used my first name last name and stuck a 0 at the end ~ to me this is not acceptable, I am not comfortable with having my name visible in that manner (and the ebay help pages "recommend" that you do not use your real name as an id so I'm surprised someone in ebay-land thinks that by sticking a 0 at the end it solves the problem).

I did change the user name ebay created to one of my own choice but of course if you click on id history my previous name shows up.  I did call customer service to report this as a problem 2 months ago and the rep told me they would forward it to the techie people but I don't think it has been "fixed" as I see new users on the boards with a first/last name-0  still.  Is there any way  for myself at least to get my user id history updated to **** to hide my name on my other account? Thanks.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Can we have updates on all these issues that were outstanding at the December chat when Raphael left?

Hello everyone,

Welcome to my last Canadian weekly chat! It's a bit bitter sweet for me, as I really loved helping you all as much as possible.

Obviously I won't be able to close all the items below before I move to my new role, but know that I have passed the list to a colleague who will keep track of these and hopefully see them all resolved. You may not get a successor on the boards right away, but that time will come for sure, as more Canadian employees will come chat with you very soon.

Open issues:

• Review Economy Intl Shipping EDDs for Canadian items listed on eBay.com
  • Browse pages and Search pages showing different results for same category
  • "Apply my Combined Shipping Discounts" option unavailable on Revise
  • Incomplete ID History
  • Some Search pages show watchers, some don't
  • Items missing from combined invoice
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Link to Community located on Feedback page points to eBay.com - Global issue. There is a team on this and a fix is coming late 2016 or early 2017.
  • Search results page shows shipping costs inconsistent with what's on the item pages - Shipping team working to fix
  • Shipping Calculator returning erroneous rates - Report sent to Pitney Bowes and Canada Post for investigation
  • Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinations - still no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

Rodney

Your comment from last week and my question:

Unfortunately, it does appear your name is on a very short list of "others to be subjected to further shafting in the future". So I'd recommend that you personally brace yourself

Is this why I have not had a sale since then?

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

i was wondering if ebay.ca is any closer to having more affordable shipping supplies in the store for us Canadian sellers to use our store coupons on?  we were promised there would be more items for use to choose from, and that the price would be a little closer inline with reality, as opposed to 3 times the price.. thanks.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

What esclyons said! Still haven't been able to use any of my store shipping coupons, I use mainly #1 and #3 bubble envelopes, never boxes.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

All listings were changed from US to Canadian dollars over a 30 day period, May 15 to June 15 2016.

Also moved up to Anchor store at the beginning of May 2016.... The new store fee was $299.95

Changed my Billing Currency from US to Canadian dollars on about May 18, 2016.

My billing for FVF and selling fees were in Canadian dollars.

However, the fee for my store  was billed in US dollars,  and after one year  this is still being billed in US dollars.

I have called eBay many times...... Their comment...  I am so very patient abut this problem.

But... there has been no change.....One full year of NO change

Paypal charges $8 to $10 each time, every month I exchange $300 Canadian dollars to US dollars 

Why am I being billed my store subscription cost in US dollars.... One year of billing in US dollars has cost me about $100 Canadian dollars.?

I have given up calling eBay about this problem....  Nothing has changed.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

Thank you so much! I really, really hope someone here can help me with my situation. Here's some details about what happened (and you can read my eBay messages if you want to have more insight):

Got a message from a buyer on May 21st asking to send an offer on one of my items. Said his "old" computer would not let him send an offer. It was soon followed by another message from another user ID asking if I can hold the item for him until May 22 because he will have the money then. Then he buys anyway at full price. I know they are the same person because the name of the buyer matches the user ID of the first one. Anyway, I write to him thanking him for his purchase and telling him I would only ship Tuesday as today is a holiday.

May 22, got 2 messages from the buyer asking for a cancellation, because of a "family emergency". I was upset but did not say a word and sent the cancellation request and refund. After that, I decided to check my site preferences to see if the first ID was blocked for a specific reason. And I discovered that BOTH were for too many UID and/or no PP accounts. How did he manage to buy anyway, I have no idea!! Both were added to my BBL immediately after that!

Then he has the nerves to create another ID and buy the item AGAIN. Not long after he purchased the item, he asked for a cancellation AGAIN. I already refunded him and cancelled, but I'm now living in constant fear he will continue his stupid game. If I am not mistaken, multiple purchases by a Blocked Buyer followed by multiple cancellations are considered as malicious yes? Is there a way to stop this buyer? Thank you.

Hey @lady.stark - if you've added a member to your blocked list they should not be creating new ids to circumvent your block (http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/unwelcome-buying.html).  While we cannot absolutely prevent this from happening again, we do have consequences for buyers who do this repeatedly. I'd encourage you to reach out to Customer Support and let them know exactly what you've encountered. They can do research from their end and take appropriate action on the member's accounts. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 30
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Thank you. I have a question about the Product Catalogue and sellers' photos.

Where are sellers in Canada allowed to opt-out so that I may I make it absolutely clear that I don't consent to my photos being used in the Product Catalogue? 

Hi mjwl2006.

I know you've been concerned about this. Scott and I have been digging in to get some answers. Here's what we found out. 

First, there is no way for Canadian eBay sellers to opt out of the photo policy. US sellers were able to do this for some time, but the opt out option is no longer available there either. 

As background, all of this has to do with building out our product catalogues to cover more and more of our inventory, including items that may be being listed for the first time, or has never had a stock photo associated with it. Building out those catalogues enables eBay to build better browse path shopping experiences that help attract buyers to eBay and help build eBay's search ranking on popular search engines. So this is all about building better shopper experiences and attracting more shoppers to the site by having a more productized inventory.

The most important application of new stock photos is to help sellers to visually match the item they are listing with existing catalogue entries. So if you are the first person ever on eBay to list a carbon fibre cheese straightener, the next person to list one, would see your photo and identify that they are listing the same thing. This enables eBay to put together compelling product-based shopping experiences to help attract and retain more buyers. 

A couple things to note:

1. If you are listing in categories where we already have catalogue coverage, like media, or electronics for example,  and your listing your item against an item in the catalogue, then your photo will not be re-used or applied to the catalogue because we've already got a stock image. So if you list against an existing product with a good stock photo, your photo will not be used to create a new stock photo. 

2. If someone lists a used item on eBay today, they can't use the stock photo for their listing. This will still be the case in the future. So if someone lists a used item, they can't use your photo.   

I know this is not the answer you were looking for. But at least if you do list in categories that are already heavily productized, the chances of your photos ever being used as a stock photo are low. 

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

@kitschnvintage wrote:

Hi I have a question about ebay user names / id ~ I created a second (selling) account but the sign up flow did not allow me to choose my own user name ~ instead ebay used my first name last name and stuck a 0 at the end ~ to me this is not acceptable, I am not comfortable with having my name visible in that manner (and the ebay help pages "recommend" that you do not use your real name as an id so I'm surprised someone in ebay-land thinks that by sticking a 0 at the end it solves the problem).

I did change the user name ebay created to one of my own choice but of course if you click on id history my previous name shows up.  I did call customer service to report this as a problem 2 months ago and the rep told me they would forward it to the techie people but I don't think it has been "fixed" as I see new users on the boards with a first/last name-0  still.  Is there any way  for myself at least to get my user id history updated to **** to hide my name on my other account? Thanks.

You're right to be concerned @kitschnvintage, I would be as well. I don't have a way currently to edit your user history, but I will get this reported to the right folks and keep you updated.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 30
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

Can we have updates on all these issues that were outstanding at the December chat when Raphael left?

Hello everyone,

Welcome to my last Canadian weekly chat! It's a bit bitter sweet for me, as I really loved helping you all as much as possible.

Obviously I won't be able to close all the items below before I move to my new role, but know that I have passed the list to a colleague who will keep track of these and hopefully see them all resolved. You may not get a successor on the boards right away, but that time will come for sure, as more Canadian employees will come chat with you very soon.

Open issues:

• Review Economy Intl Shipping EDDs for Canadian items listed on eBay.com
  • Browse pages and Search pages showing different results for same category
  • "Apply my Combined Shipping Discounts" option unavailable on Revise
  • Incomplete ID History
  • Some Search pages show watchers, some don't
  • Items missing from combined invoice
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Link to Community located on Feedback page points to eBay.com - Global issue. There is a team on this and a fix is coming late 2016 or early 2017.
  • Search results page shows shipping costs inconsistent with what's on the item pages - Shipping team working to fix
  • Shipping Calculator returning erroneous rates - Report sent to Pitney Bowes and Canada Post for investigation
  • Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinations - still no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Thanks for keeping us honest on that, dutchman48.

These ones should all now be fixed:

• Search results page shows shipping costs inconsistent with what's on the item pages
  • Shipping Calculator returning erroneous rates
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers

I'm not certain of the others on the list. I'll see what I can find out and we'll post back to the thread. 

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

Rodney

Your comment from last week and my question:

Unfortunately, it does appear your name is on a very short list of "others to be subjected to further shafting in the future". So I'd recommend that you personally brace yourself

Is this why I have not had a sale since then?

Hi Dutchman48.

Sorry to hear your week has been weak. No, there is no relationship between your selling performance and the joke I made on the boards last week. You list in one of our more competitive categories, so it could be increased competition, or just a lul in demand for collectible currency. 

Hope things pick up for you soon. 

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

All listings were changed from US to Canadian dollars over a 30 day period, May 15 to June 15 2016.

Also moved up to Anchor store at the beginning of May 2016.... The new store fee was $299.95

Changed my Billing Currency from US to Canadian dollars on about May 18, 2016.

My billing for FVF and selling fees were in Canadian dollars.

However, the fee for my store  was billed in US dollars,  and after one year  this is still being billed in US dollars.

I have called eBay many times...... Their comment...  I am so very patient abut this problem.

But... there has been no change.....One full year of NO change

Paypal charges $8 to $10 each time, every month I exchange $300 Canadian dollars to US dollars 

Why am I being billed my store subscription cost in US dollars.... One year of billing in US dollars has cost me about $100 Canadian dollars.?

I have given up calling eBay about this problem....  Nothing has changed.

How frustrating! The most common reason for this is because your store subscription was opened on .com, so you are billed in USD. The billing charge follows the subscription site, so would be unaffected by your billing currency change.

The simplest fix for this is to end your store subscription on .com, log out, head to .CA and then open a store subscription from there.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 20 of 30
latest reply