May 24th 2017 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Howdy everyone -

Based on feedback from last week's chat we're amending our process on the weekly chat.

Opening this up now until tomorrow. Hopefully that gives you more time to get your questions posted!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

@forester_studios wrote:

Hi - I am very concerned about no longer being able to print shipping labels online.  Paypal worked great for years. Now it is useless.  It says to enter the account info for Canada post.  When I enter my Ventureone number I get an error message saying they are unable to process my request and to try again later.  When I went to my local Post office today and used my Ventureone card it worked with no problem at all. 

I only use Paypal to print online labels so I hope the new Shippo service will accept paypal or I will be forced to spend hours every month filling in customs forms by hand instead of simply printing them out online.  I am very concerned about this and would appreciate some real info on the online label situation.  Thanks.

Hi forester_studios,

Very good questions in your comments, especially in the wake of our announcement to move to Shippo and the troubles with the PayPal platform over the past couple of days.

First of all, let me try to reassure you that we know that label printing is extremely important to our sellers.  As such, we have no intention of giving any reduction in the quality and features of the tools we provide for this task.  

Our partnership with Shippo is an indication that we are investing in our label printing capabilities.  While Shippo is a much newer player in the labels space, they do have an incredibly robust platform and quick to respond since label printing is their primary business.  We worked with Shippo to ensure that they are providing a similar experience (at bare minimum) to the offering PayPal provides to eBay sellers today.  Shippo also provides some incredible functionality that doesn't exist on the PayPal solution today.  

To answer your specific questions on features:

• Yes, Shippo will accept PayPal to pay for your eBay shipping labels.  
  • Yes, sellers will receive the eBay-negotiated rates and services that exist on PayPal today
  • Yes, you will have access to pre-printed customs manifests
  • Yes, shipping labels will be pre-populated with buyer and seller information (address, phone number, etc.) and weights / dimensions (when they are included on the listing flow) to simplify to label creation process
  • More details about functionality can be found in the Summer Seller Release

Regarding PayPal, there is a known bug with the PayPal label printing flow at the moment, and we are actively working with PayPal to get it fixed.  They believe they have identified the problems and we hope to have the system back to normal in the next day or so.  Timing is still being firmed up, but I will post updates in the main threads and on the Announcement Board when I have more specific details.

I hope this helps answer your questions.  With the transition to Shippo we intend to continually improve the label printing experience for our sellers.

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@esclyons wrote:

i was wondering if ebay.ca is any closer to having more affordable shipping supplies in the store for us Canadian sellers to use our store coupons on?  we were promised there would be more items for use to choose from, and that the price would be a little closer inline with reality, as opposed to 3 times the price.. thanks.

Hi esclyons. 

Thanks for your question. 

The prices can be high on the branded shipping supplies relative to unbranded supplies that you can buy locally, and where shipping cost of the shipping supplies is ultimately less of a factor. No doubt. 

But, on the other hand, if you've got a coupon in hand, that can change the economics quite a bit. 🙂

The team added a few more bundles for Canada a while back, but nothing recently. I'd love to hear more about what types of bundles folks would like to see the most.

What are the most useful supplies to you?

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

It was in the autumn of 2008 that I ended my store on eBay.com  and opened a store on eBay.ca

Ended all of my listings on eBay.com and transferred everything to eBay Canada.

If my subscription was still on eBay.com... then how is a part of my fees being billed in Canadian dollars.

The subscription fee for my store is in Canadian dollars  $299.95.... I am paying about $220 US in fees for my store....

My store is registered on eBay Canada.....

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vintagenorth wrote:

What esclyons said! Still haven't been able to use any of my store shipping coupons, I use mainly #1 and #3 bubble envelopes, never boxes.

Thanks vintagenorth. Noted. 

Since you ship mostly in envelopes, I'm wondering whether stickers might also appeal to you? That could work kind of like the tape, where you can maybe get some envelopes with our logo preprinted on them bundled with some stickers that can be affixed to any envelope? Don't think we have a product like that right now, but a seller suggested it to me once and I thought it was an interesting idea. 

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Tyler, I had brought this up last year to Raphael where some listings would show the amount of watchers on the search page and others wouldn't and I wanted to know why.  I list on both .com and .ca and none of my watchers show up on either site.

watchers.jpgmy watchers.jpg

Hi musicyouneed,

Thanks for bringing this up. It seems it's not limited to just you, which suggests it must be a config thing.

We'll look into this and I'll provide more updates/clatification on this soon. 

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

If my store was registered on eBay.com ... then how can I have listings in Canadian dollars on eBay.com?

My original registration in 2002 was on eBay.com

Then I moved everything over to eBay Canada.in the fall of 2008

I sell books... and I moved to eBay Canada... moved everything over, because of the cap in the shipping of books on eBay.com.

Now then... Why is a part of my fees... my store subscription, still being billed in US dollars?

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining us - the weekly chat is now closed.

We'll be back next week, and will open a thread Tuesday afternoon/evening for you to post your questions throughout the night.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 27 of 30
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

If my store was registered on eBay.com ... then how can I have listings in Canadian dollars on eBay.com?

My original registration in 2002 was on eBay.com

Then I moved everything over to eBay Canada.in the fall of 2008

I sell books... and I moved to eBay Canada... moved everything over, because of the cap in the shipping of books on eBay.com.

Now then... Why is a part of my fees... my store subscription, still being billed in US dollars?

Thanks for the clarification - if your registration site changed your billing currency and fees would be charged in CAD. If the store subscription originated on eBay.com and was auto-renewed it's possible that it never made the switch along with the rest of your account. I'll message you in a moment for more info so we can get this looked into. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 28 of 30
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

Howdy back,

When is eBay.ca going to be removing the pointless advertising (active content) from the site so users can enjoy a trouble free surfing experience without the site constantly slowing down and freezing up? 

Hi silverpinups,

Advertising is a key revenue stream for eBay and it's not going away. They shouldn't slow down the site much, so if your browse freezes or you experience slowness, it could be a browser issue. Let's get some details:

- Are you running ad blocker on your browser?

- Which browser and operating system are you using?

- Do you see the slowness across all your browsers?

Feel free to directly respond to me and I'll look into this. 

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

Hello,

We are located in Canada and have an alternate shipping address

at a location in the USA on the USA /Canada border

where we can have parcels sent by Sellers who ship ONLY to the USA.

However, we find that, because we are in Canada, we are BLOCKED from EVEN VIEWING

auctions listed by Sellers who SHIP ONLY TO THE USA.

Why is that? 

There are many Canadians who have arranged for a shipping address in the USA

and yet are not able to VIEW auctions listed by USA  sellers who ship ONLY to the USA.

Would appreciate a good reason for this. 

Buyers should not be blocked from viewing auctions. 

eBay does not know who has arranged for an alternate shipping address.

There are many Asian/European buyers who use USA shipping companies

located at various places in California or Florida to name a couple of states. 

Are they blocked from viewing auctions from Sellers who ship only to the USA?

How about sellers who ship to Canada ONLY.  Are buyers blocked from viewing their auctions

if they are in another country and have a mailing address in Canada?

Seems to us this would result in a loss of sales for many sellers.

Hi gwrocen,

Assuming you're on eBay.ca, and unable to view US-only items: The reason why US items that don't ship to Canada are not visible on eBay.ca is because it creates a bad user experience to show items that Canadians cannot buy. The Best Match algorithm in search, which is designed to serve majority of users who only have one shipping address, will surface items that are most relevant to you based on several factors including your location. 

If you want to see all US items, in search results, sort resutls by "Distance: nearest first". Then you'll see the "Shipping to " appear just under the dropdown. You can insert your alternate address in the US and view all items that ship to that address.

Message 30 of 30
latest reply