November 2nd 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. This week, the thread will remain open until tomorrow as usual.

Open issues:

• Incomplete ID History
  • Link to Community located on Feedback page points to eBay.com
  • Some Search pages show watchers, some don't
  • Items missing from combined invoice
  • CA Shopping cart erroneously applying free shipping on multiple orders (under investigation)
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

I have to agree the placement of those listings above the item itself is fairly obnoxious.
Message 21 of 60
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@00nevermind00 wrote:

Hello Raphael,

The revamped US boards are a sorry mess.

Is the same thing going to happen to our boards?

Hi nevermind,

We aren't scheduled for that update yet, but it will come at one point I think. Hopefully all the kinks will have been ironed out by then.

Oh dear! It's not just the bugs (that should have been worked out before going live, but I digress.) This new version is really hard on the eyes. Ebay.ca skipped the previous board "improvement", it would really be great if they could skip this one as well. If you go over to .com and read the comments, no one likes it.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question Raphael.

Message 22 of 60
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi Raphael, and welcome to November...

I have a question about listing on .com, which I'm hoping you may be able to answer.  I noticed recently when using the new "Revise Item" form on .com that there was no box to check off for "apply my promotional shipping rule", as there usually is under each shipping section (unless I'm missing it somewhere).  

If it really is gone from the revision form, does this mean I can no longer specify to which areas of the world I want to apply my promotional shipping?  

I would appreciate any insight you have on this, as I'd like to ensure that the promotional shipping rules I do have in place are applied properly.  Thanks! 

Hi rose-dee,

Can you provide an item number for me to look at? There are a few things that determine what can and can't be revised on a listing, the listing format, how much time is left on the listing, whether there are bids or purchases, etc. The listing tools should all surface the same revision possibilities according to the specified criteria, in other words, it's not the listing tool that determines what can and can't be revised.

Please share a specific item and I'll take a look.

Message 23 of 60
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:
Prior to this, during the Canada Post Fiasco this past summer, we had boosted handling time to 5 days

but going forward think we will up it to 10 days (the next level) even though we ship within one business day.

We have been selecting "economy shipping"  (this is on .com) which is rated at 11 - 23 business days

for expected delivery.

If I can intervene for a moment, be cautious about increasing handling time beyond 5 days.  EBay says that actually anything above 3 will affect search placement, so it's a risky trade-off. 

I want to say also that the situation is different for sellers listing on .com and selling to the U.S. than for sellers listing on .ca.  Like you, I chose to use "economy" domestic when listing on .com in order to get the longer delivery estimate, plus a 2-day handling. That provides up to a 25 day delivery window, which I think should be sufficient for just about any parcel to the U.S.  

Personally I think it's ridiculous to feel forced to extend your handling time beyond 5 days in order to hope you can protect yourself from eBay.  There is also the question of whether an excessively long handling + delivery estimate is going to turn off some buyers, particularly Americans, who are used to seeing delivery estimates domestically that are well under one week. 

So my view is that I really wouldn't raise my handling time if I were you over a single incident.  Contact the buyer and find out what the actual situation was before you do.  It's quite possible the buyer just couldn't remember and/or hit the "No" button by mistake, in which case, given your already lengthy timelines, you might be able to appeal to Customer Service with the buyer's support (you'll have to judge the buyer's reaction when you speak to them).  As you know, eBay doesn't give buyers the option of "Can't recall/Don't know".  In my opinion, this is absolutely wrong -- there needs to be a third option.   

Frankly I think what you've run into is a very unusual circumstance that may happen if a parcel gets delayed through U.S.Customs and/or re-routed for other reasons.  This was not your fault, but I don't think extending your handling time even further is the answer -- it could cost you sales.  

Message 24 of 60
latest reply

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

Since when did ebay decide to slap the "People who viewed this item also viewed" large horizontal gallery of other sellers listings in the middle of our listings between the listing image(s) and description. Now we pay ebay so they can advertise other sellers listings on ours. Anything else in the works to steer potential buyers away from a sellers listings.

Yes, and "large" is the operative word.  It's outrageous actually, the first thing a buyer sees, before they even get to the actual listing.   

It was one thing to put these galleries at the bottoms of listings, but why are we paying for listings when other people's items are being placed up front above our own? 

Message 25 of 60
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:
Hi rose-dee,

Can you provide an item number for me to look at? There are a few things that determine what can and can't be revised on a listing, the listing format, how much time is left on the listing, whether there are bids or purchases, etc. The listing tools should all surface the same revision possibilities according to the specified criteria, in other words, it's not the listing tool that determines what can and can't be revised.

Please share a specific item and I'll take a look.

Thanks Raphael -- the item # is 162266082968, although the same thing occurs with a number of other items I've checked.  

This particular item, along with a number of others, was just uploaded as a brand new listing from Auctiva a couple of days ago, so there are still over 28 days left on the listing cycle (GTC).  Interestingly, on Auctiva (which as you may know is fairly seamlessly integrated with eBay), the "Apply my Promotional Shipping Rule" boxes are included in their listing forms.  However, when I had to access one uploaded listing on eBay to do other revisions I noticed that option was gone.  Normally, using "Revise Your Listing" on .ca, the promo shipping rule boxes are there.  I'm wondering if it even still applies to these listings now. 

Here's a screen shot of what I see when I try to revise one of these recent new listings.  Keep in mind these are .com listings, I'm on .com, using the Seller Hub, so things look different than on .ca (i.e. the listing form has been completely redesigned).  I've marked where the "Apply my Promotional Shipping Rule" box usually appears.  

If you could look into this, I'd be grateful, because I want to know that my U.S. customers will still see and get my free shipping promo. 

2016-Nov3-ReviseItem.jpg

Message 26 of 60
latest reply

Wow -- I just noticed something in the screenshot I uploaded above -- eBay.com has now changed the "Economy" shipping delivery estimate to "1 to 10 days"!  It used to be, I believe, 10 to 23 days, and was the safest choice for Canadians shipping to the U.S.  

Do you know why this was done?  Does eBay have any idea how seriously this will impact Canadians listing on .com selling to the U.S.?  I'm absolutely aghast.  I think I just felt my blood pressure bounce.  This is going to be the end of many of us.  

This may well be the answer the earlier poster's ("gwrocen's")dilemma  about suddenly getting a defect for an ordinary delivery to the U.S. when that seller already has a 5-day handling time set. 

Message 27 of 60
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

Why do we get the defect for "late delivery"?

Take a look at my post above.  I think this is your answer.  We who list and sell on .com had one small insurance policy to avoid late delivery defects -- using Economy shipping to get the extra-long delivery timeline.  Now that is apparently gone too.  I think we may be doomed.  I feel sick. 

Message 28 of 60
latest reply

Since the new selling page started a few days ago I cannot upload any photos's. I have been selling since 2000 and never had a any trouble til now. Nothing will load . I have seen on the community pages that I am not the only one that cannot list anymore because we cannot get pics to load. 

Check my one auction I have up. I used a Sell a similar item form But cannot change the photos'. Thought they were deleted but then couldn't put the new ones up. I am selling a lemon slip but have  different pics up. Cannot change them So cannot list anything else til it is fixed.

Message 29 of 60
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Wow -- I just noticed something in the screenshot I uploaded above -- eBay.com has now changed the "Economy" shipping delivery estimate to "1 to 10 days"!  It used to be, I believe, 10 to 23 days, and was the safest choice for Canadians shipping to the U.S.  

Do you know why this was done?  Does eBay have any idea how seriously this will impact Canadians listing on .com selling to the U.S.?  I'm absolutely aghast.  I think I just felt my blood pressure bounce.  This is going to be the end of many of us.  

This may well be the answer the earlier poster's ("gwrocen's")dilemma  about suddenly getting a defect for an ordinary delivery to the U.S. when that seller already has a 5-day handling time set. 

Use services from "Outside the US" when listing on .com and selecting a domestic service. If you don`t the handling time is from a US address. Think of everything the opposite when listing on .com. Instead of domestic being from canada on .ca.

All this hassle because... well you know why...

Message 30 of 60
latest reply

So, the full horror is revealed -- see screenshot below.  It appears that "Standard" shipping has now been broken out based on USPS domestic service parameters, and "Economy" has been shortened and lumped in with miscellaneous services.  

Clearly, this is going to mean a high percentage of risk for Canadian sellers shipping by non-tracked services to the U.S.  

Raphael, I don't even recall seeing any announcement of these changes -- and they are both substantial and devastating for Canadian sellers.  There should have at the very least been some warning to Canadian sellers.  

Now any Canadian seller like me, with a reasonable but extended 2 or 3 day handling time, using Light/Small Packet USA, is going to be on a very, very tight clock of 12 or 13 days, or else get defect after defect for late delivery.  And that 12 or 13 days will include time getting through U.S. Customs.  

Can you please confirm whether extending a seller's handling time beyond 3 days will have any effect on search placement, visibility, etc.?   Of course, even if that is not the case, we have no guarantee that our U.S. customers won't be turned off anyway when they look at our ridiculously long handling-plus-delivery estimates in our listings.  

This is just the worst possible news.  I'm ready to give up on eBay. Smiley Sad

2016-Nov3-US ship times.jpg

Message 31 of 60
latest reply

Use services from "Outside the US" when listing on .com and selecting a domestic service. If you don`t the handling time is from a US address. Think of everything the opposite when listing on .com. Instead of domestic being from canada on .ca.

_____________________________________________________________________________________ 

Well yes, I already do use "domestic" for the U.S. when listing on .com.  But they have just changed the SYI/Revise Item form in the last short while, and it appears all the delivery estimates have been shortened, especially for "Economy", which used to be the safety valve for us Canadians.  

I'm waiting for Raphael to clarify all of this.  Personally I'm hoping I'm wrong about the new timelines.  

Message 32 of 60
latest reply

OK, a million thanks, I think you may have just saved me from a stroke.  

Is this what you're referring to (see screenshot below)?  They have completely changed the SYI form on .com, and put the shipping services in different places.  I wish someone had had the courtesy to tell us... 

I think a lot of Canadian sellers listing on .com are going to see that "Economy Shipping" up top with the 1-10 day estimate and come to the same conclusion I did.  And then choose it and get defects.  

Incidentally -- Raphael -- I notice that all my current listings have picked up my old "Economy Shipping" (which had the 10-23 timeline) and used the "new" Economy Shipping with the 1-10 day timeline in the listing.  I am going to have to change them all manually.  

Someone should tell other Canadian sellers! 

2016-Nov3-Screenshot3.jpg

Message 33 of 60
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

i don't know if you have another id or not but it look like most or all of your items on this one are not new so you won't need UPC for them.

I'm concerned about this too as I have new items that I received without any tags or UPC info.  Most of those items aren't super popular or have been discontinued so they are unlikely to be in a product catalogue and I have no way of finding the UPC for them.  

Raphael,  does eBay want us to generate our own UPC codes for items when we don't have that information even though they do have a code somewhere?  I don't nderstand the point of doing that or even generating one for a handmade product. It may get be handy for the sellers own inventory but how does it benefit seller or buyer on eBay?

Hi pjcdn,

I'm waiting for news from the Structured Data team. I'll update my posts on here when I have more to relay.

Message 34 of 60
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

OK, a million thanks, I think you may have just saved me from a stroke.  

Is this what you're referring to (see screenshot below)?  They have completely changed the SYI form on .com, and put the shipping services in different places.  I wish someone had had the courtesy to tell us... 

I think a lot of Canadian sellers listing on .com are going to see that "Economy Shipping" up top with the 1-10 day estimate and come to the same conclusion I did.  And then choose it and get defects.  

Incidentally -- Raphael -- I notice that all my current listings have picked up my old "Economy Shipping" (which had the 10-23 timeline) and used the "new" Economy Shipping with the 1-10 day timeline in the listing.  I am going to have to change them all manually.  

Someone should tell other Canadian sellers! 

2016-Nov3-Screenshot3.jpg

You got it 😉

Message 35 of 60
latest reply

That is a Bulk Edit option, correct?
Message 36 of 60
latest reply

Out of curiosity, I just checked a few other listings of mine, some that are brand new, and others that are older.  When I choose "Revise Listing", the form that comes up defaults to the shorter "Economy" shipping (i.e. 1 to 10 day delivery).  

See screenshot below -- this is what I see on every one of these listings when I go to revise.  I know for certain that the "Economy" I chose when I listed these had a 10-23 day delivery timeline.  I specifically chose it over domestic U.S. "Standard" shipping for that reason. 

Now the problem is that when looking at one of my listings on .com, I can't tell what the actual delivery estimate is that my U.S. buyers are seeing.  It simply says: "Varies for item from an international location", or words to that effect.  I have no idea which "Economy" timeline now actually applies. 

So, Raphael, please advise (urgently) -- I presume all of us who are listing on .com now need to revise our listings to ensure we have manually chosen the longer (10-23 day) "Economy" shipping option if we want it, otherwise the shorter one will apply if we've previously selected "Economy"?   

What a mess, yet another time-waster. 

2016-Nov3-Screenshot4.jpg

Message 37 of 60
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

Hello Raphael,

We just noticed that we received a late shipment defect - first one ever in 18 years on eBay.

We were paid for a purchase on August 21 and mailed it on August 22.

In our view it is now up to the Post Office to do its job.

On Sept. 26 or there abouts, the recipient left feedback for a satisfactory purchase.

However, he also left a "late delivery" defect for us.

Why do we get the defect for "late delivery"?

Why does the POST OFFICE not receive the defect - after all they are the ones who did the delivering???

Unfortunately this buyer chose not to pay for a tracking number for his parcel even though he was given the option to do so.

Somehow this does not seem right.

Why does eBay choose to give us a defect without giving us a chance to respond or defend our record?

Thanks.

gwrocen

Hi gwrocen,

Sorry that you got a late shipment defect.

Here is how we measure whether a shipment was on time:

1. First we look for an acceptance scan. An acceptance scan occurs when a tracked shipment is inducted into the postal stream, usually at the time it is picked up by or dropped off at the post office. If the acceptance scan is recorded within the seller's stated handling time, the shipment is considered to be on time no matter what happens after that.
  2. If there was no acceptance scan recorded, we look for a delivery confirmation tracking event. If the delivery scan occurs before the latest estimated delivery date as shown on the listing, the shipment is considered to be on time no matter what happens after that.
  3. If there was no on-time acceptance scan or on-time delivery scan recorded, we ask the buyer to tell us whether the shipment arrived before a specified date, that date being the longer estimated delivery date for the shipping service chosen by the buyer.

In your case, it appears that because there was no tracking and that the shipment seems to have arrived past the date that was estimated on the listing, the buyer said no to the question as to whether the item arrived by the specified date. 

We know that untracked shipping sometimes gets delayed, and that as a result, sellers will sometimes get defects for reasons out of their control. That's why we don't hold sellers to a target of 100% on-time shipments. Also, whether the late shipment was the seller's fault or the post's doesn't usually matter to the buyer. An item either arrives on time or it arrives late, and our data clearly shows that late shipments, in today's e-commerce industry, is one of the biggest drivers of buyer churn.

With all that said, the Standards team is constantly working to improve the programs in place, and some of the next things they will focus on are untracked shipments and cross-border trade. Stay tuned for announcements about that in the future.

Message 38 of 60
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

@esclyons wrote:

because without tracking EBAY does not believe you sent it when you said you did..

And they believe the recipient (buyer)????

Without giving us (seller) a chance to respond??

It works both ways. - if they won't/can't believe the seller,

(with no tracking), how can they believe the buyer?? 

Buyers rarely know that they are giving a seller a defect when they say no to the question about whether their item arrived on time. This is how we can get reasonably objecting answers from them.

Message 39 of 60
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Hello. I had a question from last week that was overlooked. I'll repost. 

Re: October 26th 2016 Weekly Session
in reply to raphael@ebay.com

As you know, sellers love to discuss Best Match. We were reminded of the ebay User Agreement which states:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html

• We strive to create a marketplace where buyers find what they are looking for. Therefore, the appearance or placement of listings in search and browse results will depend on a variety of factors, including, but not limited to: 

• buyer's location, search query, browsing site, and history;

• item's location, listing format, price and shipping cost, terms of service, end time, history, and relevance to the user query; 

• seller's history, including listing practices, Detailed Seller Ratings, eBay policy compliance, Feedback, and defect rate; and

• number of listings matching the buyer's query.  

• To drive a positive user experience, a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the buyer.  

• Some advanced listing upgrades will only be visible on certain Services.

• eBay's Duplicate Listing Policy may also affect whether your listing appears in search results.

Can you please explain what the statment 'to drive a positive user experience, a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the buyer' really means?

Thank you,

Maureen

p.s. The 'Followers list issues' are over as far as I can discern. Mine own at least display the proper number and actual users.  

Hi Maureen,

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you. It took me a couple of days to get that one figured out.

The sentence you highlighted aims to let sellers know that under Best Match, we cannot guarantee that a seller’s listings will appear in a certain order in search results, because it depends on too many variables that are evaluated in real time, and which can also change from time to time.

Message 40 of 60
latest reply