November 2nd 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. This week, the thread will remain open until tomorrow as usual.

Open issues:

• Incomplete ID History
  • Link to Community located on Feedback page points to eBay.com
  • Some Search pages show watchers, some don't
  • Items missing from combined invoice
  • CA Shopping cart erroneously applying free shipping on multiple orders (under investigation)
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

I would like an answer to why I cannot load photo's. Have been hanging on here for half and hour or more for an answer. Is ebay aware of this?

Message 41 of 60
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
That is a Bulk Edit option, correct?

If you're referring to the shipping option change, the answer is yes and no, but mostly no.  It can't be done using BEAR (at least not on the new version on .com) unless a seller is using the same shipping cost for all the items being revised.  

I tried it, and discovered that in order to change the shipping service on all listings at once, I would have to enter one single shipping amount for all chosen listings (shipping service and shipping cost aren't broken out separately).  

Since my items have various shipping costs to the U.S. that are dependent on weight, shape and size, it's not possible to edit them all at once.  I suppose if I lumped them into 10 or 12 groups of similar weight/shape/size, I could do a few at a time using BEAR, but then I risk getting some of the shipping amounts wrong.  So it's going to be a manual job for me, one by one. 

Message 42 of 60
latest reply

Bulk edit individual listings, I think, is the way I would approach this.
Message 43 of 60
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:
In your case, it appears that because there was no tracking and that the shipment seems to have arrived past the date that was estimated on the listing, the buyer said no to the question as to whether the item arrived by the specified date.   

Could that not possibly have actually had something to do with the fact that the domestic shipping choices on Canadian sellers' .com listings have been changed, and that "Economy" has now been defaulted to 1-10 days?  Please see my posts above.  

I am mostly upset that no one at eBay thought us Canadians worthy of a heads-up on what for us is a very serious alteration of our selling parameters.  

Most of us know that getting Light or Small Packet to the USA can take more than 10 days, and would not want to show a 1-10 day time frame in our listings given a choice in the matter. 

Message 44 of 60
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Hello. I had a question from last week that was overlooked. I'll repost. 

Re: October 26th 2016 Weekly Session
in reply to raphael@ebay.com

As you know, sellers love to discuss Best Match. We were reminded of the ebay User Agreement which states:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html

• We strive to create a marketplace where buyers find what they are looking for. Therefore, the appearance or placement of listings in search and browse results will depend on a variety of factors, including, but not limited to: 

• buyer's location, search query, browsing site, and history;

• item's location, listing format, price and shipping cost, terms of service, end time, history, and relevance to the user query; 

• seller's history, including listing practices, Detailed Seller Ratings, eBay policy compliance, Feedback, and defect rate; and

• number of listings matching the buyer's query.  

• To drive a positive user experience, a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the buyer.  

• Some advanced listing upgrades will only be visible on certain Services.

• eBay's Duplicate Listing Policy may also affect whether your listing appears in search results.

Can you please explain what the statment 'to drive a positive user experience, a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the buyer' really means?

Thank you,

Maureen

p.s. The 'Followers list issues' are over as far as I can discern. Mine own at least display the proper number and actual users. 

'To drive a positive user experience, a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the buyer' 

This is classic eBay doublespeak. They can't really say "Because our search process is a piece of **bleep** users may not actually see items you are selling" they make having fewer choices a "positive user experience". 

What is even funnier is the line "We strive to create a marketplace where buyers find what they are looking for.". Every change they've made to the search process recently has made it more difficult to find what I'm looking for. 

Message 45 of 60
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Yes, that might be somewhat faster, but I'm not sure the entire long (new) list of U.S. domestic services is yet accessible on BEAR.  I'm going to have to check it again.  They've been changing a whole lot on .com recently, can't leave well enough alone.   

Message 46 of 60
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@00nevermind00 wrote:

Hello Raphael,

The revamped US boards are a sorry mess.

Is the same thing going to happen to our boards?

Hi nevermind,

We aren't scheduled for that update yet, but it will come at one point I think. Hopefully all the kinks will have been ironed out by then.

Oh dear! It's not just the bugs (that should have been worked out before going live, but I digress.) This new version is really hard on the eyes. Ebay.ca skipped the previous board "improvement", it would really be great if they could skip this one as well. If you go over to .com and read the comments, no one likes it.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question Raphael.

If the new version of the discussion boards is hard on the eyes it may have been designed by the same ID10T that came up with the latest version of the "Searches you follow" page. And if no one on .com likes the new version eBay management will consider it a complete success and roll it out everywhere ASAP. 

Message 47 of 60
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Yes, that might be somewhat faster, but I'm not sure the entire long (new) list of U.S. domestic services is yet accessible on BEAR.  I'm going to have to check it again.  They've been changing a whole lot on .com recently, can't leave well enough alone.   

A follow-up -- I've just tested, and all of the new shipping options are available on BEAR, so it is possible to bulk edit listings one by one from within that programme in order to change the (new) default of 1-10 days Economy to the 11-23 Economy service listed under "Economy Services from Outside US". 

For those Canadian sellers altering their .com listings in this way, note that you do have to scroll down below the immediately visible section of the pop-up window to find this. 

I'll be revising all my listings immediately, as I'm seeing so far that they've all been corrupted with this shorter default time frame. 

Message 48 of 60
latest reply

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

Since when did ebay decide to slap the "People who viewed this item also viewed" large horizontal gallery of other sellers listings in the middle of our listings between the listing image(s) and description. Now we pay ebay so they can advertise other sellers listings on ours. Anything else in the works to steer potential buyers away from a sellers listings.

Hi there merritt-motorcycle-salvage,

These are things that help buyers buy items, and also somewhat of an industry standard nowadays. If eBay didn't put things like this in front of buyers, we would ultimately lose to competitors who do. Also, it's probably obvious that whatever we do to help keep buyers on eBay also helps our sellers. Remember it works both ways, if your listing shows items that buyers who visited your page also viewed, then your items are also on other sellers' item pages.

Message 49 of 60
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:
Hi rose-dee,

Can you provide an item number for me to look at? There are a few things that determine what can and can't be revised on a listing, the listing format, how much time is left on the listing, whether there are bids or purchases, etc. The listing tools should all surface the same revision possibilities according to the specified criteria, in other words, it's not the listing tool that determines what can and can't be revised.

Please share a specific item and I'll take a look.

Thanks Raphael -- the item # is 162266082968, although the same thing occurs with a number of other items I've checked.  

This particular item, along with a number of others, was just uploaded as a brand new listing from Auctiva a couple of days ago, so there are still over 28 days left on the listing cycle (GTC).  Interestingly, on Auctiva (which as you may know is fairly seamlessly integrated with eBay), the "Apply my Promotional Shipping Rule" boxes are included in their listing forms.  However, when I had to access one uploaded listing on eBay to do other revisions I noticed that option was gone.  Normally, using "Revise Your Listing" on .ca, the promo shipping rule boxes are there.  I'm wondering if it even still applies to these listings now. 

Here's a screen shot of what I see when I try to revise one of these recent new listings.  Keep in mind these are .com listings, I'm on .com, using the Seller Hub, so things look different than on .ca (i.e. the listing form has been completely redesigned).  I've marked where the "Apply my Promotional Shipping Rule" box usually appears.  

If you could look into this, I'd be grateful, because I want to know that my U.S. customers will still see and get my free shipping promo. 

2016-Nov3-ReviseItem.jpg

Thanks for the details. I'll look into it.

Message 50 of 60
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Since when did ebay decide to slap the "People who viewed this item also viewed" large horizontal gallery of other sellers listings in the middle of our listings between the listing image(s) and description. Now we pay ebay so they can advertise other sellers listings on ours. Anything else in the works to steer potential buyers away from a sellers listings.

Hi there merritt-motorcycle-salvage,

These are things that help buyers buy items, and also somewhat of an industry standard nowadays. If eBay didn't put things like this in front of buyers, we would ultimately lose to competitors who do. Also, it's probably obvious that whatever we do to help keep buyers on eBay also helps our sellers. Remember it works both ways, if your listing shows items that buyers who visited your page also viewed, then your items are also on other sellers' item pages.

That`s funny haha.

Message 51 of 60
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Wow -- I just noticed something in the screenshot I uploaded above -- eBay.com has now changed the "Economy" shipping delivery estimate to "1 to 10 days"!  It used to be, I believe, 10 to 23 days, and was the safest choice for Canadians shipping to the U.S.  

Do you know why this was done?  Does eBay have any idea how seriously this will impact Canadians listing on .com selling to the U.S.?  I'm absolutely aghast.  I think I just felt my blood pressure bounce.  This is going to be the end of many of us.  

This may well be the answer the earlier poster's ("gwrocen's")dilemma  about suddenly getting a defect for an ordinary delivery to the U.S. when that seller already has a 5-day handling time set. 

The Economy service you are referring to is a US domestic shipping service. It is totally adequate for US-based inventory, but not adequate for most Canadian sellers. Also this isn't a change, it has been this way for a long time.

You should choose one of the "from outside of the US" services when listing on eBay.com.

Message 52 of 60
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@gwrocen wrote:

Why do we get the defect for "late delivery"?

Take a look at my post above.  I think this is your answer.  We who list and sell on .com had one small insurance policy to avoid late delivery defects -- using Economy shipping to get the extra-long delivery timeline.  Now that is apparently gone too.  I think we may be doomed.  I feel sick. 

Just to make sure we set things straight, this is wrong, we didn't change the US Economy estimated delivery dates, you simply picked the wrong one.

Message 53 of 60
latest reply

@brenda281 wrote:

Since the new selling page started a few days ago I cannot upload any photos's. I have been selling since 2000 and never had a any trouble til now. Nothing will load . I have seen on the community pages that I am not the only one that cannot list anymore because we cannot get pics to load. 

Check my one auction I have up. I used a Sell a similar item form But cannot change the photos'. Thought they were deleted but then couldn't put the new ones up. I am selling a lemon slip but have  different pics up. Cannot change them So cannot list anything else til it is fixed.

Hello brenda281,

Can you tell me more? What site are you listing on? What was the item number you tried to Sell Similar from? Are you certain that your photos meet eBay's requirements? Happy to take a look once I have more details. Thanks!

Message 54 of 60
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

So, the full horror is revealed -- see screenshot below.  It appears that "Standard" shipping has now been broken out based on USPS domestic service parameters, and "Economy" has been shortened and lumped in with miscellaneous services.  

Clearly, this is going to mean a high percentage of risk for Canadian sellers shipping by non-tracked services to the U.S.  

Raphael, I don't even recall seeing any announcement of these changes -- and they are both substantial and devastating for Canadian sellers.  There should have at the very least been some warning to Canadian sellers.  

Now any Canadian seller like me, with a reasonable but extended 2 or 3 day handling time, using Light/Small Packet USA, is going to be on a very, very tight clock of 12 or 13 days, or else get defect after defect for late delivery.  And that 12 or 13 days will include time getting through U.S. Customs.  

I know you have come to the realization that you are using the wrong economy shipping later in the thread, but I do need to rectify for posterity: there weren't any changes made to US domestic economy shipping, nothing was announced because there were no changes, there is a more appropriate "Economy shipping from outside of the US" service that you should use as a Canadian seller with inventory shipping from outside of the US.

@rose-dee wrote:

Can you please confirm whether extending a seller's handling time beyond 3 days will have any effect on search placement, visibility, etc.?   Of course, even if that is not the case, we have no guarantee that our U.S. customers won't be turned off anyway when they look at our ridiculously long handling-plus-delivery estimates in our listings.  

Yes, a longer handling time may harm your search ranking, however I can't confirm what the threshold is.

Message 55 of 60
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Use services from "Outside the US" when listing on .com and selecting a domestic service. If you don`t the handling time is from a US address. Think of everything the opposite when listing on .com. Instead of domestic being from canada on .ca.

_____________________________________________________________________________________ 

Well yes, I already do use "domestic" for the U.S. when listing on .com.  But they have just changed the SYI/Revise Item form in the last short while, and it appears all the delivery estimates have been shortened, especially for "Economy", which used to be the safety valve for us Canadians.  

I'm waiting for Raphael to clarify all of this.  Personally I'm hoping I'm wrong about the new timelines.  

Confirming you are wrong about the new timelines 🙂

You simply chose the wrong shipping service. As a Canadian seller, unless your inventory is shipping from inside the US, you should use the "from outside the US" shipping services.

Message 56 of 60
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Out of curiosity, I just checked a few other listings of mine, some that are brand new, and others that are older.  When I choose "Revise Listing", the form that comes up defaults to the shorter "Economy" shipping (i.e. 1 to 10 day delivery).  

See screenshot below -- this is what I see on every one of these listings when I go to revise.  I know for certain that the "Economy" I chose when I listed these had a 10-23 day delivery timeline.  I specifically chose it over domestic U.S. "Standard" shipping for that reason. 

Now the problem is that when looking at one of my listings on .com, I can't tell what the actual delivery estimate is that my U.S. buyers are seeing.  It simply says: "Varies for item from an international location", or words to that effect.  I have no idea which "Economy" timeline now actually applies. 

So, Raphael, please advise (urgently) -- I presume all of us who are listing on .com now need to revise our listings to ensure we have manually chosen the longer (10-23 day) "Economy" shipping option if we want it, otherwise the shorter one will apply if we've previously selected "Economy"?   

What a mess, yet another time-waster. 

2016-Nov3-Screenshot4.jpg

This is new information. Thanks for reporting! That is concerning and I have alerted the Shipping team in urgency. Sorry I didn't pick up on the issue sooner in the thread.

EDIT: Upon investigating more closely, it appears that your listing always had the US domestic "Economy Shipping (1-10 business days)". Look at your item's shipping tab (172232597160). It clearly shows that option, which is why that's the one that shows up when you revise the listing.

Banners_and_Alerts_and_Sewing_Pattern_for_Classic_1912_Edwardian_Lingerie_Blouse__Dual_Sz-Med_amp_Large___eBay.jpg

Now look at item 162063621257. I updated that one with the proper "from outside the US" shipping service, and it shows the appropriate shipping service:

Banners_and_Alerts_and_Dual_Size_Lrg_XLrg__Sewing_Pattern_for_1912_Edwardian_Lingerie_Blouse___Elegant____eBay.jpg

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm dismissing your issue, I'm not, but from what I can see, it doesn't look like anything is broken. When I revise your listing that had the correct Economy shipping from outside the US, the selling form comes up with the correct shipping service.

Message 57 of 60
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:
In your case, it appears that because there was no tracking and that the shipment seems to have arrived past the date that was estimated on the listing, the buyer said no to the question as to whether the item arrived by the specified date.   

Could that not possibly have actually had something to do with the fact that the domestic shipping choices on Canadian sellers' .com listings have been changed, and that "Economy" has now been defaulted to 1-10 days?  Please see my posts above.  

I am mostly upset that no one at eBay thought us Canadians worthy of a heads-up on what for us is a very serious alteration of our selling parameters.  

Most of us know that getting Light or Small Packet to the USA can take more than 10 days, and would not want to show a 1-10 day time frame in our listings given a choice in the matter. 

No, it couldn't be that. None of gwrocen's listings use that Economy service.

Message 58 of 60
latest reply

@brenda281 wrote:

I would like an answer to why I cannot load photo's. Have been hanging on here for half and hour or more for an answer. Is ebay aware of this?

Hi again Brenda,

I'm sorry I wasn't able to get to your post within that half hour. Just so you know what to expect, I'm not usually on the discussions forums full time, but during the time that I keep weekly session threads open, I come regularly. Usually that's from Wednesday morning to Thursday afternoon, on and off. I wish I could stay on the forum and respond quicker, but unfortunately I can't. Thanks for understanding.

I'm going to close this thread now, so if you'd like to continue discussing your photos issue, please reach me via email at raphael@ebay.com with the details I asked for. Thanks!

Message 59 of 60
latest reply

This concludes our session for this week. Thanks for joining and see you next time!

Message 60 of 60
latest reply