November 9th 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. This week, the thread will remain open until tomorrow as usual.

Open issues:

• "Apply my Combined Shipping Discounts" option unavailable on Revise
  • Incomplete ID History
  • Link to Community located on Feedback page points to eBay.com
  • Some Search pages show watchers, some don't
  • Items missing from combined invoice
  • CA Shopping cart erroneously applying free shipping on multiple orders (under investigation)
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@gwrocen wrote:

Even when you have TWO IDENTICAL ITEMS  listed in two separate auctions with identical shipping
there is a difference in estimated delivery to the same location in the USA.
Look at:
Item 152302063131 – 17-24 business days.
Item 152302065755 – 12-19 business days.

It appears that sellers may be getting ........late shipment defects through no fault of their own
because of this discrepancy.
The majority of sellers are doing their level best to ship in a timely manner.  
They do this to inspire confidence in their buyers and to maintain their business.
However this will work only if this data is displayed and applied accurately as intended by the seller.

Thanks.
gwrocen

Your item with 17-24 days has a 5 day handling time. The other one has 10 days hence the difference in the eta.

Thanks for the reply.

This still is not clear.

Here it appears to be that delivery time with 5 day handling it is 17-24 days

and with 10 days handling it is 12 - 19 days. 

So with shorter handling you get a longer delivery time???

In actual fact, in the above two auctions we had selected "Shipping from out side the USA 11-23 BUSINESS days" delivery.

Then what should the delivery time be with 5 day handling or with 10 day handling

since neither one seems to incorporate the 11 - 23 business days???

Shouldn't they both be 11-23 business days PLUS the 5 or 10 day handling??

Thanks.

Message 21 of 80
latest reply

Hi Raphael, I send most of my packages from the US so don’t come across this very often, but is there a way to make a label shipping an item from Canada to Canada with a small packet. No matter which way I try to print a label it wants to charge me around $10 but the post office only charges 2.08. I gave up and just bought stamps and throw it in the box but if there was a way to do it online, it would give a tracking no

Message 22 of 80
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Finally, Best Offer. Has something changed? At some point this week the text that used to warn a buyer that the Best Offer they were submitting couldn't include talk about postage has vanished. Now buyers are making offers for postage terms and, natualrl,y expecting those to be met. Did the policy abrou Best Offer and shipping change? If so, should seller be told ahead of time that was the case, or was this merely a glitch? This buyer wants to know what to do about the fact his postage upgrade request was not honoured by the seller and he has a valid point since nowhere on the screen did he see the 'no shipping offers' warning that most sellers still think is there. https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Offer-accepted-but-terms-not-met/m-p/356314#M31539

Thank you advance,

Maureen 

I'm not aware of any changes made to Best Offer, but I have reached out to the owner for comments. I'll update as usual.

Message 23 of 80
latest reply

There is a dscrepancy with SYI form showing 11-23 days for economy shipping from outside usa but the same listings show 7-14 days to the USA from canada.  But the 14 business days is still more then adequate

Message 24 of 80
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

There is a dscrepancy with SYI form showing 11-23 days for economy shipping from outside usa but the same listings show 7-14 days to the USA from canada.  But the 14 business days is still more then adequate

Re 14 business days being more than adequate - Not necessarily.

Apparently It wasn't adequate with the transaction that got us a defect. 

And that one showed 10-17 business days for delivery.

There should be no discrepancy. 

If 11-23 business days is a choice that is given, and that is what we select, then that's what it should be.

Simple as that!

Message 25 of 80
latest reply

How was it mailed?  If its non tracked the buyer could mark it late regardless of what it says.  3 weeks should be enough time to get there

Message 26 of 80
latest reply

Sorry I wrote that backwards. The 17-24 days has 10 day handling, the other one has 5.

I was just trying to explain why those 2,are different, not that they are showing the time correctly. I agree that something is not working correctly. 

Raphael - the standard shipping from outside of the US shows  in the syi form as 5 -10 business days.  That number doesn't include handling time as it doesn't change with a different handling time so since i have 1 day handling, shouldn't it show the buyer 6 + business days instead of 5 as it shows on my listings now?   

Message 27 of 80
latest reply

Were all Canadian sellers invited to the latest seller promotion? If so, is that Canada based or Canada registered?

Message 28 of 80
latest reply

I have to agree that if the form gives a time span, that's what should be shown to the buyer, not a totally different number.  

I dont use the economy choice because it sounds too long and is probably more for overseas countries shipping to the US.  Ideally, I would like something showing  5-12bus days for standard and 8-18 for economy.  

Message 29 of 80
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:
Raphael,

Further to Delivery time...........................
And this is really odd.   This is one of our listings on .ca where Canada Post
is the default for shipping.
For this listing (#152237094242)
if you search delivery to the USA (to Florida or Georgia for example) ,
it states:
Delivery:  Estimated Delivery within 6-11 business days

But if you want delivery anywhere within Canada it is:
Delivery: Estimated Delivery within 2- 16 business days

Why the shorter time frame allowance for shipping to the USA
when the item has to go through customs, travel further, etc.?
Doesn’t make sense.

There are two reasons why you're seeing this. First, and most importantly, estimated delivery dates (EDDs) are far more accurate for the Canada-USA corridor than they are domestically in Canada. For Canadian domestic EDDs, all of Canada is treated as one zone, meaning that no matter where the item is shipping from and where the buyer is located, the site will show the same range of dates. Given the size of our country, and because the systems on which domestic EDDs rely isn't smart enough to dynamically fetch estimated transit times as it does shipping rates, we end up with catch-all date ranges that are meant to cover both shipping to the same city as shipping from Halifax to Vancouver. Perfecting the systems that drive our domestic EDDs is something we've been asking for for the past 7-8 years but haven't been able to get on the Shipping roadmap due to limited resources.

Second, and this is related to what I've written above, the Canada-USA shipping corridor has more accurate EDDs based on actual shipping and delivery data (instead of what the carriers say is their delivery standard). This was work that was done for US buyers only, a few years ago and the EDD work we've been asking for Canadian domestic EDDs includes that same EDD refinement work.

@gwrocen wrote:
Even when you have TWO IDENTICAL ITEMS  listed in two separate auctions with identical shipping
there is a difference in estimated delivery to the same location in the USA.
Look at:
Item 152302063131 – 17-24 business days.
Item 152302065755 – 12-19 business days.

It appears that sellers may be getting ........late shipment defects through no fault of their own
because of this discrepancy.
The majority of sellers are doing their level best to ship in a timely manner.  
They do this to inspire confidence in their buyers and to maintain their business.
However this will work only if this data is displayed and applied accurately as intended by the seller.

Thanks.
gwrocen 

The discrepancy between these two items is caused by your stated handling time. On the first one you have 10 days handling stated, and on the second one you have 10 days handling.

Note that on the listing page, buyers see your stated handling time added to the "native" EDDs that come with the shipping service you select. 

Message 30 of 80
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I hope you're having a good afternoon Raphael (despite the debacle last night in the U.S., which I watched with a combination of disbelief and horror until 4:00 a.m.).  I have a couple of questions: 

1)  You were going to check into why the option of "Apply my Promotional Shipping Rules" appears not to be available on the new Revise Your Item form (actually I think it's absent from the new SYI form as well).  See my question last week on this.  Is there any update?  If not, could you please put this on your issues list? 

2)  Do you know whether it's still necessary to specific select Australia, Germany, France, etc. as a "custom" destination when setting shipping parameters on listings, in order for the listing's shipping rates to be visible on those eBay sites?  I noticed recently (using the new .com Seller Hub/Revise Your Item form) that the warning about having to specify these countries is now gone.  

To put it another way, if I now choose "Worldwide", will shipping rates be visible for eBay sites/countries like Australia?  I tested a couple of listings and this now seems to be the case.  I've always broken out my shipping to destinations other than Canada and the U.S. into the two groups (specified and Worldwide) in order to ensure my shipping is shown to Australians, but I'd like to know if this is still necessary. 

3)  I was wondering about the effect of C.E.T.A. (the new Canada-EU trade agreement) on Canadian eBay sellers as well -- that is, until last night.  Now I'm more concerned about what effect a repeal of NAFTA will have on us once Trump has his way.  (I know, still a hypothetical, and not really a question I expect you to answer anyway.  We may all have to deal with it soon enough). 

Hi rose-dee

1) I'm still waiting for news on this. It's possible that this particular feature is unavailable on Revise for GTC listings (this type of listing sometimes has slightly different rules). Either way I aded it to my list for good measure.

2) If all you're using is a generic shipping service, meaning not USPS or FedEx branded, then only one worldwide shipping service should work for all eBay sites, keeping in mind that your listings will only show up in the international expansion that shows up at the bottom of search results. The only exceptions to that is the Canada site (items listed on eBay.com show up in standard search on eBay.ca as long as there is shipping to Canada specified) and eBay UK, if you purchase International Visibility.

3) Please see my comment on that in response to Maureen earlier.

Message 31 of 80
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@gwrocen wrote:

Naturally International Delivery will end up being “Late Delivery”
if the seller’s criteria of 11-23 business days plus 3 day handling is sabotaged.
This is a No Win situation for a seller.
Other sellers have seen this as well.
Would appreciate it if you could give us some idea
why delivery data is being altered and displayed on the listing with a shorter time period.

I'd like to chime in on this subject as well.  It's very worrying, and made even more serious because most sellers won't even be aware it's happening until they start getting unexplained defects.  

I'm actually still not even convinced that changes at the settings end didn't also occur (i.e. 11-23 day "Out of U.S." economy delivery option being changed to the shorter, U.S. domestic economy).  I am certain some things have recently been changed in the .com list of shipping options -- the list is now longer, and differently ordered than previously.  Is it completely impossible that the "new" system on .com could default to the shorter, U.S. "economy" option during a revision?  

I hope you can assure us that eBay will be giving these two issues priority investigation.  They need to be looked into urgently.  A lot of sellers are going to get unfairly and unknowingly caught with defects for late deliveries in the meantime.  

To summarize what I've told gwrocen on this subject, the Economy from outside the US shipping service seems to count as 7-14 business days instead of the 11-23 shown at the time you create your listing. I'm investigating that with the Shipping team. The discrepancy between listings that gwrocen reported is due to different handling times.

Once again, and I really need to make this clear, there is no such thing as shipping defaults. All new listings start with blank fields for shipping services and never have I seen, in my own use of eBay and by testing on your items directly, the site arbitrarily changing shipping services. You have suggested that Auctiva might have caused this change for you, this makes sense and I advise you to get in touch with them to test on their side.

Message 32 of 80
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:
In actual fact, in the above two auctions we had selected "Shipping from out side the USA 11-23 BUSINESS days" delivery.

Then what should the delivery time be with 5 day handling or with 10 day handling

since neither one seems to incorporate the 11 - 23 business days???

Shouldn't they both be 11-23 business days PLUS the 5 or 10 day handling??

Thanks.

Like I said earlier, it looks like the system counts the shipping service you selected as being 7-14 days instead of the 11-23 that is shown to sellers when they select it. I am working with the Shipping team to figure out why that is.

Message 33 of 80
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

A major problem with Tracked Packet Intertnational calculations has been discovered where the Calculated Shipping tool says an item can ship via Tracked Packet when, in fact, it is too big to do so. Buyers are being shown Tracked Packet on listings where the dimensions (not weight) of the package exceed the allowed limit. Those same buyers are being allowed to purchase Tracked Packet as a postage option where Tracked Packet cannot actually be used to send the item. I have emailed you about this also. What went wrong with the tool and when will it be fixed? 

Thanks for flagging this. Can you share an item number that allows Tracked Packet International to be selected even though the dimensions are too big? Thanks!

Certainly. This information is also contained in the email I sent you. It was item 232086199530 . The buyer was offered and chose Tracked Packet as their postage and it doesn't exist on an item of this size meaning I was forced to upgrade to XPRESSPOST at a significant additional cost which came from my own funds. I'm looking for this to be fixed too. 

Thank you. I'll send this over to Shipping for investigation.

Message 34 of 80
latest reply

@snoopwiz wrote:

Hello Raphael,

Updates on a more equitable shipping supply coupon program for Canadian sellers (with stores) as of yet?

Thank you.

Hi snoopwiz,

For now, what we were able to do was offer cheaper shipping supplies bundles so that sellers who get the $35 coupon with a Basic Store can buy something without having to pay anything out of pocket. We've gotten a very good response and are now working to create even more lower priced bundles.

Meanwhile, we are still working on a fully Canadian solution but cannot announce anything more on that yet.

Message 35 of 80
latest reply

@bunbar wrote:

Hi Raphael, I send most of my packages from the US so don’t come across this very often, but is there a way to make a label shipping an item from Canada to Canada with a small packet. No matter which way I try to print a label it wants to charge me around $10 but the post office only charges 2.08. I gave up and just bought stamps and throw it in the box but if there was a way to do it online, it would give a tracking no

Hi bunbar,

Small Packet is sold on the PayPal labels platform as far as I know, but it doesn't include tracking. Whatever you buy at the Canada post counter for $2.08 also doesn't include tracking. The cheapest tracked shipping service that Canada Post offers for parcels is Expedited, I think, and $10 domestically seems low. In my experience Expedited will run $12-$15 depending on the size + weight as well as where it's going.

Message 36 of 80
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Sorry I wrote that backwards. The 17-24 days has 10 day handling, the other one has 5.

I was just trying to explain why those 2,are different, not that they are showing the time correctly. I agree that something is not working correctly. 

Raphael - the standard shipping from outside of the US shows  in the syi form as 5 -10 business days.  That number doesn't include handling time as it doesn't change with a different handling time so since i have 1 day handling, shouldn't it show the buyer 6 + business days instead of 5 as it shows on my listings now?   

Hi pjcdn,

If a service has 5-10 days natively and you specify 2 days handling, the listing should show 7-12 business days.

Message 37 of 80
latest reply

@lotsa.luck wrote:

Were all Canadian sellers invited to the latest seller promotion? If so, is that Canada based or Canada registered?

Hi lotsa.luck,

I'm not sure who was and wasn't invited to the promo, usually if it's by invitation it means that not everyone was invited. When everyone is invited, it's not necessary to activate the promo, it works automatically.

When it comes to determining whether a seller is Canadian, we use their registered address, not the site on which they list.

Message 38 of 80
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

@gwrocen wrote:

Naturally International Delivery will end up being “Late Delivery”
if the seller’s criteria of 11-23 business days plus 3 day handling is sabotaged.
This is a No Win situation for a seller.
Other sellers have seen this as well.
Would appreciate it if you could give us some idea
why delivery data is being altered and displayed on the listing with a shorter time period.

I'd like to chime in on this subject as well.  It's very worrying, and made even more serious because most sellers won't even be aware it's happening until they start getting unexplained defects.  

I'm actually still not even convinced that changes at the settings end didn't also occur (i.e. 11-23 day "Out of U.S." economy delivery option being changed to the shorter, U.S. domestic economy).  I am certain some things have recently been changed in the .com list of shipping options -- the list is now longer, and differently ordered than previously.  Is it completely impossible that the "new" system on .com could default to the shorter, U.S. "economy" option during a revision?  

I hope you can assure us that eBay will be giving these two issues priority investigation.  They need to be looked into urgently.  A lot of sellers are going to get unfairly and unknowingly caught with defects for late deliveries in the meantime.  

To summarize what I've told gwrocen on this subject, the Economy from outside the US shipping service seems to count as 7-14 business days instead of the 11-23 shown at the time you create your listing. I'm investigating that with the Shipping team. The discrepancy between listings that gwrocen reported is due to different handling times.

Once again, and I really need to make this clear, there is no such thing as shipping defaults. All new listings start with blank fields for shipping services and never have I seen, in my own use of eBay and by testing on your items directly, the site arbitrarily changing shipping services. You have suggested that Auctiva might have caused this change for you, this makes sense and I advise you to get in touch with them to test on their side.

Hi Raphael, this is a subject I was going to mention about as well. Just wanted to say that I list always using turbo lister and so I don't think this is an Auctiva problem. I have noticed this change recently and I usually ship by lettermail using the Economy Shipping from Outside the USA with one day handling. I have always seen the days showing as 8 to 24 (on the buyers end) and just recently noticed the change.

Thank you for looking into this for us. 

Message 39 of 80
latest reply

I haven't found a way to do it online for less than $10 unless I'm sending it out of Canada (to  the US or overseas)

Message 40 of 80
latest reply