November 9th 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. This week, the thread will remain open until tomorrow as usual.

Open issues:

• "Apply my Combined Shipping Discounts" option unavailable on Revise
  • Incomplete ID History
  • Link to Community located on Feedback page points to eBay.com
  • Some Search pages show watchers, some don't
  • Items missing from combined invoice
  • CA Shopping cart erroneously applying free shipping on multiple orders (under investigation)
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

@bunbar wrote:

Thanks that's what I thought, but I thought I'd ask You can't even do it through the post office online and I asked at the post office but they had no idea

Yes, 'toby' is right, there is no equivalent service to Light Packet (USA or international) in Canada for which you can print a label, either via Paypal, or at the post office.  As far as I know, there never has been.  

Basically, Light Packet parcel service outside Canada is handled as Oversize Lettermail within Canada, and there are no labels available for that anywhere.  Which explains why the post office people were confused when you asked.  All you can do is use postage stamps, or have the P.O. run off one of their machine stamps if you pay directly. 

Once you go over the Oversize Lettermail limits within Canada, you're looking at parcel rates, which are much higher.  There is often a huge jump in price once the size increases beyond the 38x27x2.0cm allowed by Oversize Lettermail, even for items of the same weight.  Something equivalent to Small Packets USA (at similar prices) would, I agree, be extremely helpful for shipping within Canada.  Personally this is why I can't sell my largest (thickest) patterns within Canada without heavily subsidizing my buyers' shipping costs.  

Message 61 of 80
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Raphael, do you have an update on the issue with the Shipping Tool malfunction with Tracked Packet? I use Tracked Packet for all international parcels, I cannot afford to lose $100 on postage with all large items sold.

Hi Maureen,

No update yet. I'll follow up with you directly asap.

Message 62 of 80
latest reply

Raphael, this is a question that has been gnawing at me for some time now.  Is there any significant advantage, in terms of placement, visibility, preference or priority of listings, in having a "new format" store as opposed to the classic format? 

I noticed during the recent "Buy Canadian" promotion that owners of the "new format" stores were getting uneven precedence in search results over sellers who had the old format stores but actually higher seller ratings, more listings, and more recent sales. 

Message 63 of 80
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@gwrocen wrote:
Hello Raphael,

This is in regard to “shipping and handling” time which we spoke about last week.
We got a “late delivery” defect that we felt was through no fault of ours.

Other sellers have seen this as well.
Would appreciate it if you could give us some idea
why delivery data is being altered and displayed on the listing with a shorter time period.

Thanks.
gwrocen 

Hi gwrocen,

Thanks for all the additional info. This is something I need to put in front of the shipping team. I'll update this post as soon as I get news from them.

UPDATE:

It appears that Economy Shipping from Outside the US (11 to 23 business days) only counts as 7-14 business days. Whatever you see on your listings is that + your handling time. I have someone on the Shipping team looking into why the discrepancy between what you see when you create the listing and what shows up on the listing.

UPDATE 2:

We have verified that the issue only appears when looking at the item on eBay.ca. The EDDs are accurately reflecting the 11 to 23 business days + your handling time when viewed on eBay.com. This is a bit of a silver lining as most US buyers will look at your items from eBay.com and not eBay.ca, where the EDDs are unreasonable. Also, we have verified that buyers see the correct date when asked whether the item arrived on time (23 days + your handling time), So the issue is only on eBay.ca and only on the item page and only when looking at shipping to the US.

HI Raphael,

Thanks for the updates.

This explains the problem.

We have one suggestion.  Rather than asking the buyers if the item arrived on time,

why aren't they asked if the seller mailed the item within their handling time.

They can check the cancellation date on the package.

This is basically, as has been stated many times, because once the parcel/package/letter

has been put in the mail, delivery time is out of the control of the seller. 

Thanks again for all your help on this.

gwrocen 

Thanks for the suggestion, I will share it with the Standards team.

Message 64 of 80
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Raphael, this is a question that has been gnawing at me for some time now.  Is there any significant advantage, in terms of placement, visibility, preference or priority of listings, in having a "new format" store as opposed to the classic format? 

I noticed during the recent "Buy Canadian" promotion that owners of the "new format" stores were getting uneven precedence in search results over sellers who had the old format stores but actually higher seller ratings, more listings, and more recent sales. 

The kind of store, or whether you have a store, isn't a factor in Best Match ranking.

Message 65 of 80
latest reply

Rose-dee, will you return to that original thread with Raphael's answer, or shall I?
Message 66 of 80
latest reply

It's not a letter but a small package, usually with lapel pins

Message 67 of 80
latest reply

I'm glad I don't sell very much in Canada since most of my packages are small. Crossing the border saves about $5 a package and makes the weekly hour drive totally worth it especially when I can print the labels for the small packages from here.. I send all my buyers an email as soon as I sell an item explaining the delay, and have had only one or two negative feedbacks since I started doing this. I used to get a lot of them when I sent them from here. 

Message 68 of 80
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@gwrocen wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@gwrocen wrote:
Hello Raphael,

This is in regard to “shipping and handling” time which we spoke about last week.
We got a “late delivery” defect that we felt was through no fault of ours.

Other sellers have seen this as well.
Would appreciate it if you could give us some idea
why delivery data is being altered and displayed on the listing with a shorter time period.

Thanks.
gwrocen 

Hi gwrocen,

Thanks for all the additional info. This is something I need to put in front of the shipping team. I'll update this post as soon as I get news from them.

UPDATE:

It appears that Economy Shipping from Outside the US (11 to 23 business days) only counts as 7-14 business days. Whatever you see on your listings is that + your handling time. I have someone on the Shipping team looking into why the discrepancy between what you see when you create the listing and what shows up on the listing.

UPDATE 2:

We have verified that the issue only appears when looking at the item on eBay.ca. The EDDs are accurately reflecting the 11 to 23 business days + your handling time when viewed on eBay.com. This is a bit of a silver lining as most US buyers will look at your items from eBay.com and not eBay.ca, where the EDDs are unreasonable. Also, we have verified that buyers see the correct date when asked whether the item arrived on time (23 days + your handling time), So the issue is only on eBay.ca and only on the item page and only when looking at shipping to the US.

HI Raphael,

Thanks for the updates.

This explains the problem.

We have one suggestion.  Rather than asking the buyers if the item arrived on time,

why aren't they asked if the seller mailed the item within their handling time.

They can check the cancellation date on the package.

This is basically, as has been stated many times, because once the parcel/package/letter

has been put in the mail, delivery time is out of the control of the seller. 

Thanks again for all your help on this.

gwrocen 

Thanks for the suggestion, I will share it with the Standards team.

Rapael, I don't see the correct eta on the .com site.  For example, item 152293833034 is economy from outside of the US with 5 days handling.  The time shown on ca is 12-19 bus days and should be 11+5 bus days.  On ,com it shows arrival as nov 30-dec 9. Assuming that Monday is day 0, the 30th would be 12 business days, not 11+ 5 bus days

Message 69 of 80
latest reply

Soor, ignore my day 0 comment. I think that the 30th would be 13 bus days but still not 11+5

Message 70 of 80
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

... ignore my day 0 comment. I think that the 30th would be 13 bus days but still not 11+5

Did you include the American Thanksgiving holiday in your calculating?

Message 71 of 80
latest reply

I ship always expedited or tracked packet USA i already have few and is because buyers marked something different.Go figure
Message 72 of 80
latest reply

If you gain your acceptance scan within your stated handling time on a tracked item, the buyer is unable to mark it differently.
Message 73 of 80
latest reply

Hello Raphael,

I am happy to announce that ebay has credited my account the amount charged to my CC, and also very happy that they have reset the time period for the store, so it now goes for 180 days from now. All I can say, is WOW, and Thank you.

Plus, ebay has offered a feature for free for the same duration, again I thank you.

The timing of the offers could not be any better, now it's time to take advantage, and start listing the many items I could not list before.

Message 74 of 80
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Rose-dee, will you return to that original thread with Raphael's answer, or shall I?

I don't think it matters now.  If Raphael says it isn't a factor, then I believe him -- he should know.  Perhaps some other parameter (unknown and unverifiable, at least from my standpoint) was skewing the results I saw.

Raphael's answer is really all I need.  I'll stick with my old format for the time being.  

Message 75 of 80
latest reply

Then I'll update the thread. Other people find these things after the fact; there's no sense in leaving readers of the future with the wrong impression.
Message 76 of 80
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

... ignore my day 0 comment. I think that the 30th would be 13 bus days but still not 11+5

No I forgot about that which means that with the nov 11 and thanksgiving holidays, the eta  on .com is 12- 19 days, which is exactly what it says on .ca  even though with the 5 day handling it should be 16-28 days. 

Message 77 of 80
latest reply

@amcdc79 wrote:

Hello Raphael,

I am happy to announce that ebay has credited my account the amount charged to my CC, and also very happy that they have reset the time period for the store, so it now goes for 180 days from now. All I can say, is WOW, and Thank you.

Plus, ebay has offered a feature for free for the same duration, again I thank you.

The timing of the offers could not be any better, now it's time to take advantage, and start listing the many items I could not list before.

Hi amcdc79,

Sorry I was unable to let you know before this happened. I can't take all the credit though, it was a trusted colleague who reads our weekly sessions who saw your post and was able to rectify without me having to do anything other than reply to you. Now go and sell things! 🙂

Message 78 of 80
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

No I forgot about that which means that with the nov 11 and thanksgiving holidays, the eta  on .com is 12- 19 days, which is exactly what it says on .ca  even though with the 5 day handling it should be 16-28 days. 

I'm working with the shipping team on this but it looks like it's going to take more than a day to figure out. I'll addd it to my list and we can talk about it more next week.

Message 79 of 80
latest reply

This concludes our (extended) session for this week. Thanks all for joining and see you next time!

Message 80 of 80
latest reply