October 12th 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. This week, the thread will remain open until tomorrow as usual.

Open issues:

• Link to Community located on Feedback page points to eBay.com
  • Some Search pages show watchers, some don't
  • Items missing from combined invoice
  • Followers list not displaying properly
  • CA Shopping cart erroneously applying free shipping on multiple orders (under investigation)
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

For merritt-motorcycle-salvage:

I revisited the issue you raised last week with category errors with the drafts you created via the migration tool. This isn't a tool issue. It has to do with category mapping differences between eBay.ca and eBay.com. Because eBay.com has the Motors site (which technically is a separate site), the categories for that vertical are mapped differently. What you need to do is change the drafts to the correct eBay.com category. This can be done in the bulk editor.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Good morning, Raphael! 

This is probably not a big deal but it is one that caused me concern nonetheless. Overnight one night on the weekend, after I updated to a new version of the ebay iPhone App, I had a whole slew of Recently Viewed items appear in the recently-cleared (by me) recently-viewed folder that were not anything that I had ever looked at in my whole, entire life on ebay.

What would cause something such as this to occur? And, more importantly, whose Recently Viewed items were these and what were they doing in my folder? I promise you that no one using our computers, routers, or I.P. Address was shopping for antique German clocks by auction that night. Or ever. I'm don't stand opposed to antique clocks in general, I just don't happen to need any at this point in time. (Pun intended.)

Apparently, I am not the only use to whom this has happened. 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Weird-glitch-last-night-on-the-ebay-mobile-app/m-p/353733#...

Any insight you could share about this phenomena would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Maureen 

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

The issues with these Lithium forums is still going on. On the main page with all the forums, it shows topics unread with a count of 1, 2 or more and when the forum topics are read, nothing is unread. I mark all topics read and later they show the same unread topic and all is read.

The issue of not being sent to the first unread post in a topic which I reported last week seems to be fixed on its own.

This morning, I was reading post 47 of 46 in a topic. See below.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/EBAY-STORE-SUBSCRIBERS-YOUR-Q4-SHIPPING-SUPPLIES-COUPON/m...

The forums need maintenance.

I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, FireFox 49.0.1

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Bonjour Raphael, 

I'd like to follow up on a subject I raised a couple of weeks ago that has many of us very concerned.  It is with respect to the security messages appearing on eBay pages viewed via Google Chrome. 

While I understand that there may be no actual security or site safety issue, and that only Google/Chrome is involved (at the moment), my real concern is how buyers will perceive these messages.  Not everyone is technically knowledgeable enough to appreciate the nuances when a message appears indicating a site or page is not secure.  As eBay knows -- or, heaven help us, should know by now -- Google will begin posting even more serious-looking site security messages come January 2017.  Time is running short to manage this perception fiasco proactively. 

My question is this: what is eBay doing -- right now -- to address this situation and how quickly will it be resolved?  

Whether it means negotiating with Google to remove those icons and messages on its site, or complying with Google's new parameters, makes no difference to us as sellers.  What does make a difference is that buyers are likely being scared away by these security warnings.   

With all the hacking going on in the world at the moment, these are not the kind of optics we sellers want to project to our buyers.  

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

I had some forum issues as well. I'll return later with a link to that thread from last week/weekend unless someone would like to indulge me by finding it in my absence.
Message 6 of 31
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
I had some forum issues as well. I'll return later with a link to that thread from last week/weekend unless someone would like to indulge me by finding it in my absence.

Super weird Forum Notification behaviours with my Email Subscription to New Posts on Threads

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Site-Issues/Super-weird-Forum-Notification-behaviours-with-my-Email/m-p/...

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

My guess is it won't be corrected until 2017 ---- see under the Fall 2016 Seller Updates ---- and there have been other browser users posting about security issues on the forums .... 

Active content no longer allowed on item description pages after June 2017

Active content is used by many sellers today to provide interactivity, animation or video via JavaScript, Flash, plug-ins, and form actions in listings. As we mentioned last spring, active content can negatively impact the user experience by inhibiting mobile purchasing, creating longer load times, and increasing security vulnerabilities.

In light of these potential impacts we will phase out all active content on item pages beginning June 2017. After that time, listings that include active content may no longer render as expected, and buyer experience may be impaired.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

**Security when uploading Tracking Numbers.**

This is of concern to us.

When we are uploading tracking numbers, we keep getting the message: 

"The information you have entered on this page will be sent over an insecure connection

and could be read by a third party.

Are you sure you want to send this information?

Then it asks you to "Continue" or "Cancel".

It pops up in the middle of the page.

Has been happening on eBay.com.

We use Firefox for our browser.

Is the eBay site secure?  What can be the result of disregarding this warning?

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

For merritt-motorcycle-salvage:

I revisited the issue you raised last week with category errors with the drafts you created via the migration tool. This isn't a tool issue. It has to do with category mapping differences between eBay.ca and eBay.com. Because eBay.com has the Motors site (which technically is a separate site), the categories for that vertical are mapped differently. What you need to do is change the drafts to the correct eBay.com category. This can be done in the bulk editor.

The categories change to ebay motors automatically and it physically shows the change in the bulk editor, it doesn`t matter if they are changed even if they are the correct or incorrect ones. Trust me I tried to troubleshoot so I could point it out. Item condition and return policy does not carry over either. Regardless they can`t be configured in the bulk editor either. But that's my problem and I need to find a work around just like everything else that I pay anchor fee every month for and final value fees etc..... I will continue to pay ebay for something that is broken.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Hello Raphael,

While browsing eBay yesterday I stumbled upon a GSP item. Normally I bypass all GSP items but this seller had a mix of GSP and non-GSP stuff and I wanted a look at this one.

Check out the screen shot I took:

GSP.jpg

We all know that the tax-free cut-off is the same paltry $20 it has been since 1985. So how can there be zero import charges on an item worth over $100? This is not the first time I've seen this. I checked the item on eBay.com and it was the same thing over there. Are they hiding the import tax in the shipping charge? What is going on here? Buyers will think that eBay is trying to pull a fast one and that the tax/duties/whatever-else will pop up as soon as they hit the Bid or Buy button.

Thank you for your time.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Does this Seller offer shipping anywhere else in the world? I noticed on an item I am following the CANADA  destination shows 0.00 for import charges but when I changed the shipping to DENMARK (out of their ship to list) the import charges came up no problem ... sorry I don'y know how to do screen shots ....

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that there are different tax rates throughout our great country so maybe GSP can't figure out what province one is in to apply the correct import tax rate ... so we get 0.00 instead and a big surprise with the invoice ? 

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

With respect to Active Contents.

We can now view our listings on eBay.com....  and determine what the removal of Active Content will do to our listings.

For me it is the Scrolling Gallery on Auctiva produced listings.... Once the scrolling gallery is removed  using the test option on eBay.com, it is as if the scrolling gallery was never placed in a listing.

No problems  for me....

I will eventually have Auctiva remove the scrolling gallery from listings that have it....

If you Active Content in listings.... do the test....on eBay.com 

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Good evening. Another minor point. Why does the link to Community on the ebay.ca feedback page lead to the ebay.com Community Discussion Boards? 

Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 8.39.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-12 at 8.45.37 PM.png

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

Hi Raphael,

I believe that the shipping promo codes have been sent out for this quarter? I haven't seen one....again.

Should it be coming by email or....?

Thanks

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Buyer bought an item. I sent an invoice. The buyer emailed that they'd changed their mind about buying.

So I cancelled the purchase.

My Sold section currently shows: "eBay note: We're just waiting for the buyer to confirm they received a refund for this order."

Why am I seeing this message when no payment was ever made?

-..-

And why are they allowed 10 days to respond when an unpaid-item case can be wrapped up in 8 days (wait 4, file, wait 4). This encourages me as a seller open an unpaid-item case rather than allow a cancellation request.

-..-

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Yes, this is also a source of eternal frustration to me.
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

@themodernowl wrote:

My guess is it won't be corrected until 2017 ---- see under the Fall 2016 Seller Updates ---- and there have been other browser users posting about security issues on the forums .... 

Active content no longer allowed on item description pages after June 2017

Active content is used by many sellers today to provide interactivity, animation or video via JavaScript, Flash, plug-ins, and form actions in listings. As we mentioned last spring, active content can negatively impact the user experience by inhibiting mobile purchasing, creating longer load times, and increasing security vulnerabilities.

In light of these potential impacts we will phase out all active content on item pages beginning June 2017. After that time, listings that include active content may no longer render as expected, and buyer experience may be impaired.

I'm not sure active content has anything to do with the concern about recent Google Chrome messages warning about non-secure pages.  This is a Google initiative happening across the internet, not just on eBay, and includes sites with no active content at all.

Raphael -- are the two subjects connected in some way?   My understanding from what you said previously was that these Google security warnings are irrelevant from a purely technical standpoint because log-in to eBay's site is secure.  My concern as a seller is the appearance that there is a problem when buyers navigate to a page within eBay.  

As far as active content goes, I use Auctiva which has always been very well integrated with eBay.  I presume they will retire their active content features come 2017.  In the meantime, as 'cumos'  pointed out, sellers can see what their listings will look like without the active content by using the eBay viewing tool. 

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Good morning, Raphael! 

This is probably not a big deal but it is one that caused me concern nonetheless. Overnight one night on the weekend, after I updated to a new version of the ebay iPhone App, I had a whole slew of Recently Viewed items appear in the recently-cleared (by me) recently-viewed folder that were not anything that I had ever looked at in my whole, entire life on ebay.

What would cause something such as this to occur? And, more importantly, whose Recently Viewed items were these and what were they doing in my folder? I promise you that no one using our computers, routers, or I.P. Address was shopping for antique German clocks by auction that night. Or ever. I'm don't stand opposed to antique clocks in general, I just don't happen to need any at this point in time. (Pun intended.)

Apparently, I am not the only use to whom this has happened. 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Weird-glitch-last-night-on-the-ebay-mobile-app/m-p/353733#...

Any insight you could share about this phenomena would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Maureen 

Hi Maureen,

This sounds like a serious case of crossing wires! I have reported the issue to the Mobile team, I haven't got a response yet but once I do we will log it in, or add your case details to any existing ticket. Thanks for the report!

Message 20 of 31
latest reply