October 26th 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. This week, the thread will remain open until tomorrow as usual.

Open issues:

• Incomplete ID History
  • Link to Community located on Feedback page points to eBay.com
  • Some Search pages show watchers, some don't
  • Items missing from combined invoice
  • Followers list not displaying properly
  • CA Shopping cart erroneously applying free shipping on multiple orders (under investigation)
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

@pjcdn2005 wrote:
IPR, the shopping cart and the Request Total bug are not connected at all.1The thing to keep in mind is that IPR and the shopping cart essentially do the same thing: they both allocate ownership of a transaction only after payment is made. In other words, IPR never kicks in when a buyer uses the shopping cart to make a purchase, because the shopping cart works by immediate payment only

Regarding the bolded part...

IPR is related in some way to the request total in the cart.  I didn't realize it before but I was doing some experimenting and if a seller specifies ipr in their listings on either site, the request total link in the cart is grayed out. I assume this is on purpose since requesting a total is the same thing as paying in that the buyer now "owns" the item and since ipr was specified they can't own in until it is paid for.  Is that. the way it supposed to work?    So basically if you are going to use ipr you should have all discounts already set up...correct?

Also, is it true that if a buyer specifies local pick up the automatic ipr that eBay sets up on .com will not be in effect for those listings?

Hi pjcdn,

This is correct. Although the Request Total bug isn't related to IPR or the shopping cart, there are certain situations (limitations) when a buyer won't be able to request a total:

• The seller has set up a discount profile.
  • The items are on sale.
  • The seller doesn't accept combined payments.
  • The item has immediate payment required.
  • There is only one item in the cart.
  • The item(s) already have free shipping.

The local pick up part I' am not sure about, however. I'll have to do some digging around.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:

i also wanted to ask about the shipping estimates..it clearly states business days in the shipping estimate.. but when i ship on a Friday, anywhere, it does not start moving until Monday morning, so there is 2 days lost to Canada post not working on the weekends, but on the estimated time for delivery those 2 days are not added to the delivery estimate??

Hi esclyons,

pjcdn ha already provided a great answer to your question. To explain further, here is the way shipping days are counted:

The clock starts on the day the payment is recorded + your specified handling time. For example, if you sell something on Oct 27 and the buyer pays on the 28th and you have specified 1 day handling time, day 0 for shipping is Oct 31st, the 29th and 30th being a weekend. Note that I called Oct 31st "day 0" and not "day 1." What I mean by that is, the day you put a parcel in the mail, or rather, the day Canada Post accepts your parcel, is day 0, and then we count from there, excluding weekends. So to continue with the above example, say your shipping service has a 1-7 business day estimated delivery (that's what Expedited Parcel has for domestic shipments), this becomes 2-8 business days with your 1 day handling, putting the estimated delivery dates on Nov 2-8. This is for domestic shipments, for international (especially overseas) you also have to factor in time zones.

If you have real life examples where the EDDs (estimated delivery dates) don't add up to my breakdown above, please let me know.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

I'll have someone from the Dashboard team investigate. Please be careful with words like misinformation. This is likely a bug, nothing more. We don't intentionally serve erroneous information to our members.

Inaccurate information caused by a bug is still misinformation.

I made no claim that this was a deliberate action by eBay.

Also, I see that I was Top rated for the USA with 94 US transactions during the last evaluation (which is under the 100 mark). Are the evaluation standards changing?

-..-

Thanks Dennis.

I have relayed your report to the owner of the Seller Dashboard, I should get news by tomorrow at latest. I'll update accordingly.

I figured this one out. Being at 94 triggered the warning email, saying I had a grace period to get back to 100+. So under standard, but still Top Rated.

The missing numbers are still a worry though.

-..-

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

I have never seen the banner messages you refer to, so I cannot comment on them. Having combined discount shipping rules in place is definitely a good idea, and doesn't require to know in advance what will be the order size and destination to work. 

The issues with Request Total can definitely cause buyers to walk away, and we are working to resolve them. 

Thank you so much for your quick reply on the checkout/IPR/cart questions.  I'm glad eBay is taking the "Request Total" issue seriously. 

This seems like such a complex subject.  I am certain that 'pj' is correct that having IPR stipulated in a listing (i.e. not auto-IPR) will result in the "Request Total" button being inaccessible.  Some of us have experimented with this recently, and found that to be the case.  That is, unless it's a bug that's occurring for some other reason.  

If you have the time to do the same test(s), I'd be interested to know what you see.  For example, revise 3 of your listings to IPR that have shipping quotes on them, then have someone use another ID to put those 3 items into the cart and try to access "Request Total".  This is what we've been doing, and where we've been getting the "grayed out" Request Total button.  I don't know whether the same effect will occur on .ca as on .com, or with mixed-site listings, as I haven't tried those tests.  

I was also interested in the local pick-up question that 'pj' brought up.  I would hope, as a seller, that if I offered local pick-up, my buyer wouldn't be faced with IPR. 

I think I really need more assistance with setting up automated discounts, if these are the only way to avoid the problem with "Request Total" not being accessible.  For example, if a buyer purchases 3 patterns from me, with 3 different weights and physical dimensions, setting up a rule to reduce shipping by, say, 10% for each additional item, or perhaps free shipping for a third item, won't necessarily represent reality.  In some cases, it is in fact cheaper to ship 2 items together, in others the shipping can actually be higher if, for instance, 2 patterns go over the 2.0cm Canada Post limit for Light Packet USA (or Canada Post oversize lettermail). 

Or -- another example -- if a buyer purchases a dress and other item(s) from me, I can usually easily squeeze several small items into a box with one large item.  In that case, everything but the shipping for the dress would be free.  How can that be set up as an automated rule if the result must depend on the size, weight, and dimensions of the item and the box containing it?  What am I missing?

Can you provide any suggestions or examples?  My main concern is that I don't want my buyers to abandon their orders because they know they should be able to get a combined discount, but can't directly request it.  

As I outlined in my response to pjcdn, there are things that make Request Total unavailable, but the bug is that the feature is unavailable when it should be available. That's what we are working on.

For help with your discount rules setup, happy to do that but the discussion forums aren't the best venue as we will need a deeper discussion so I can better understand your needs and better advise you. Let's do that by email.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

I'll have someone from the Dashboard team investigate. Please be careful with words like misinformation. This is likely a bug, nothing more. We don't intentionally serve erroneous information to our members.

Inaccurate information caused by a bug is still misinformation.

I made no claim that this was a deliberate action by eBay.

Also, I see that I was Top rated for the USA with 94 US transactions during the last evaluation (which is under the 100 mark). Are the evaluation standards changing?

-..-

Thanks Dennis.

I have relayed your report to the owner of the Seller Dashboard, I should get news by tomorrow at latest. I'll update accordingly.

I figured this one out. Being at 94 triggered the warning email, saying I had a grace period to get back to 100+. So under standard, but still Top Rated.

The missing numbers are still a worry though.

-..-

Hi Dennis,

this makes sense and for the missing numbers I'm still waiting for the dashboard owner to get back to me. Even if I get the response after I close today's chat, I'll come back here and post my findings as soon as I have them. 

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

This concludes our session for this week. Thanks for joining and see you next time!

Message 26 of 26
latest reply