Are any other Canadian sellers having problems with new Canada Post rules, no tracking on small pack

Canada Post has lost one package when shipping this way for me, and now I have another asking for a tracking number.  Pretty hard when you only make a few dollars on an item and now you have to ask buyer for $6.00 for shipping for tracking.  They simply will not buy.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Are any other Canadian sellers having problems with new Canada Post rules, no tracking on small

Its not easy for sure. I just don't put any inexpensive items on ebay now. There isn't any money to be made once you factor in shipping costs,, your time, your packaging etc etc. I have lots of garage sales now lol.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Re: Are any other Canadian sellers having problems with new Canada Post rules, no tracking on small

Anonymous
Not applicable

With Canada Post's insane high postage rates, it is becoming more harder to be willing to take risks to sell chepear items in fear that we may get scammers, then we would be out of items and $$$.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@helensware wrote:

Canada Post has lost one package when shipping this way for me, and now I have another asking for a tracking number.  Pretty hard when you only make a few dollars on an item and now you have to ask buyer for $6.00 for shipping for tracking.  They simply will not buy.

You've got an excellent feedback rating; use that to your advantage.  Tell your buyers--more diplomatically than I am--that you wouldn't have the feedback numbers and rating that you do if you were in the habit of stiffing your buyers.

A tracking number may show where an item is, but it doesn't make any difference to whether or not a buyer has his or her item.  Tell your buyer that your items routinely reach their destination with little to no problems and that they should simply contact you if it hasn't arrived in, say, three weeks or whatever timeframe you're comfortable with.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Canada Post is a worldwide laughing stock.  As far as I can tell, they are the most expensive service there is, and one of the least reliable.  More and more vendors on eBay will no longer ship to Canada because of lost parcels.  In the last year alone I have had 3 parts shipments of parts acknowledged by Canada Boarder Service (customs) but lost by Canada Post.

That’s not the worst of it either.  Their rates seem to be intentionally geared to keep folks like us out of business.  For instance, I sell small circuit boards.  They weigh well under 75g.  If it is under 2cm thick when packaged I can send it from Ontario to BC for about $1.50 postage.  No problem there, right?  However, if it’s 2.1cm thick the price goes up to about $15.

Meanwhile, I order a bag of parts from China where they are made.  They cost me $30 for the parts + $2 registered shipping through EMS.   The bag weighs about 400g and is 6cm thick.  Canada Post pick it up from customs in Vancouver, BC and deliver it to me in Ontario, including the tracking updates and signature, all for their paltry share of the $2.  So why does it cost me $15 for the same distance?  Oh, right, because I am a Canadian small businessman.  Can't have that now.

But you never hear the end of their ‘executives’ on the CBC whining about how no one is using their services anymore.   Are they that stupid?  Do they not realize there are thousands of us that would be doing a lot more business and using there services a lot more if the just cut us a reasonable break?  Instead they have guaranteed that almost anyone else in the world can deliver products to Canadian customers cheaper than Canadian businesses can.  How’s that for economic development?

Yeah, Canada Post.  What a joke.  I cannot say enough negative things about them.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have received many packages from US weekly and noticed that all of them has stickers of XpressPost on.

I am puzzled as to why I paid around $7.00 to US sellers and USPS can slap the XpressPost stickers on them and the mail service is faster that way.

Why on earth we have to pay 4-7 times higher ($28.00 and higher) for us to ship by XpressPost to USA?  I wish Canada Post would offer postage rates for around $7.00 and slap XpressPost stickers on packages to USA!!

Canada Post is a joke!!  

I agree that Canada Post is a worldwide laughing stock!  I think Canada Post rates are the most expensive in the whole wide world!!

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Right after they dropped the insurance on small packet, almost every international (non-US) order I sent was claimed non-delivered by the buyer. I now only ship with tracking, so I try to put items in lots instead of small/inexpensive individual items to make it worth it for the buyer. It's frustrating for international especially because of how ridiculous Tracked Packet prices are!
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Actually, you can still track a small package using Canada Post. Unfortunately, Canada Post is now charging extra for the new tracking service for all small packages to the US or International.... Another money grabber.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I have received many packages from US weekly and noticed that all of them has stickers of XpressPost on.

I am puzzled as to why I paid around $7.00 to US sellers and USPS can slap the XpressPost stickers on them and the mail service is faster that way.

Why on earth we have to pay 4-7 times higher ($28.00 and higher) for us to ship by XpressPost to USA?  I wish Canada Post would offer postage rates for around $7.00 and slap XpressPost stickers on packages to USA!!

Sorry to be late to the party on this one, but what you're likely receiving are First Class International packages (American "small packets") that have USPS's eDELCON (electronic delivery confirmation) service on them.  In order for the tracking associated with this service to work properly in Canada, they have to go through the Xpresspost system, although I doubt that they're getting any sort of priority over any other mailing method within Canada.

If you've received any items from the United States shipped by Priority International (international parcel post) you'll have seen that Canada Post also enters those into the Xpresspost system.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Time to explain "self-insurance" once more.

On every single item you sell, you add a few pennies to the asking price as an insurance premium against loss or damage in the mailstream.

You put those pennies into a virtual 'cookie jar'.

When you get a claim of non-delivery, BEFORE Paypal gets involved or BEFORE PP refunds the customer and comes to you for repayment, you pay the claim out of all those virtual pennies in that virtual Cookie Jar.

Exactly the way commercial insurance works. You are betting that the value of claims will be less or no more than the total of the premiums you take in. And as insurance companies are profitable, you know the system works.

Cookie Jar Insurance is the cheapest way not to lose money on claims. 

If you are shipping high value/high fraud items, you may prefer to use shipinsurance, which will insure parcels on a one-off basis. Many posters have expressed satisfaction with their services. It has also been stated that if shipinsurance will not insure to a given country, that eBay sellers should not ship there either. Learn from the experts, eh?

If you are a full-time dealer in collectibles, you may wish to contact Hugh Wood Insurance of Toronto, who specialize in the field. We find their rates and coverage much better than that of larger more generalized companies. They will cover your stock in transit to shows, shoptheft, fire, water, shows, and really understand the difficulties of selling items that don't have an MSRP.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I have had 6 items damaged now in the last 2 months shipping with Canada post,One disappeared in January,Now I have to replace and there goes my $2.00 out the Window.So much for the new rates.Items getting lost and getting damaged this way from one seller!I pack my items very well,and in ten years I have loosed only one item!!Hey whats going on here?!How many others out there are experiencing the same?We need to create awareness on this.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

HELLO FELLOW SELLERS,

THE ONLY TIME I PROVIDE TRACKING NUMBERS ARE CUSTOMERS IN CANADA THAT THE ITEM CANNOT FIT IN AN ENVELOP OR OVER A CERTAIN PRICE POINTS.

I RARELY PROVIDE TRACKING FOR USA CUSTOMERS, DUE TO THE FACT THAT IT IS EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE SHIPPING COST. BUT WHAT I DO TELL MY CUSTOMERS IS THAT "THERE IS A REFERENCE NUMBER THAT I HAVE WHICH CANADA POST CAN USE TO TRACK LOST OR STOLEN PARCELS" THIS REFERENCE NUMBER IS ON EVERY PRINTED SHIPPING LABEL WHEN YOU USE PAYPAL AND CANADA POST PRINTING, I ALWAYS CUT THE LABEL UNDER THE REFERENCE NUMBER NOT ABOVE IT, IT GIVES CUSTOMERS A SENSE OF SATISFACTION TO KNOW THAT THE ITEM WILL BE TRACKED IF ITS LOST.

IF YOU WANT MORE SPECIFICS PLEASE CONTACT ME PERSONALLY.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

IT GIVES CUSTOMERS A SENSE OF SATISFACTION TO KNOW THAT THE ITEM WILL BE TRACKED IF ITS LOST.

Well it would be a false sense since the reference number is not trackable.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

I have had two customers report that they didn't receive there items which cost me over 200.00 The customers would not give me there Post Office phone number so I could check. I believe they receive there items and there money back. First time in 20 years of selling. Since small item tracking come in I think dishonest people know that they will just get there money back because they didn't pay tracking. From now on all items are tracked.?????
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

It only makes sense to add Delivery Confirmation /tracking to high value packages. I'll leave it up to you to decide what is high value.

I routinely ship books valued between $50 and $200 without tracking. (I carry commercial insurance through Hugh Wood International).

On other IDs I only use self-insurance.

But it also depends on your demographic. Readers, philatelists, needleworkers are usually detail minded people who actually read descriptions. If I were selling in other categories (sportscards terrify me) I probably would have a lower tolerance for loss.

A poster above mentioned having three packages damaged in transit. It should be noted that such damage is often the result of inadequate packaging.

Canada Post reminds shippers that in their highly mechanized terminals, a package may drop two feet from one conveyor belt to another (because of the maximum size of the parcels being handled) and then have another parcel weighing 50 lbs drop onto it. If you parcel up your Wedgewood teapot in a layer of newspaper and pack it into a cereal box, the buyer will receive shards.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

I sold an item for $10. Ebay kindly automatically (incorrectly) posted the shipping as $6. When I went to ship the item CPost wants $16.70 with tracking or $3.78 without. For a $10 item $3.78 it is, and just hope the buyer is honest. I also purchased an item which shipped to USA side of the border. I went and picked it up - shipping was $8.70. I got home and the item was not working. CPost return shipping with Tracking - wait for it $20.78. What a ripoff. Also seems like Ebay has changed since the early days. New bidders not paying for items won, why do they bid. Complaining about S&H after purchase. I think with all the web based shopping now Ebay is on the slide. Used to seem like we all helped each other by selling stuff we no longer required for very fair prices and no nonsense shoppers. Just my 2c worth. 

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Just read somewhere that by this fall, Canada Post is adding option for Small Packets/Light Weight packets with option to buy a Bar Code for $2.00 extra so it becomes a tracked piece. So lets say $3.98 plus 2.00 equals $5.98 for 150 grams & less.

Yes, Canada Post is choking itself out eventually, its choking out its entire obligation to provide door to door service which the postal companies in North America stood behind by statute. Door to door service provides that everyone's mail is secure.

Mail boxes in all urban cities will be subject to gangs tampering, stealing every which way they can, just to **bleep** the police off, so that will no doubt increase the police force, which then brought to the city's attention, they will cry we don't have any more $ in our budget to increase the police force which then the Feds will say, too bad you guys figure it out.

It is now anyone's guess how long eBay or on line sales in general will last. The fun has all now been officially stripped which equates to dropping interest all together. Canada Post has officially dropped its interest to protect.

Has anyone seen who is the top kahuna to Canada Post? Yeah, and he's raking in $750,00 a year in pay.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

MY main product sells only on an auction platform and I am getting a lot of no receiving lately, never had a problem before. It seems with the global shipping there is an increase of rip off artists from the US, factor in the $ of CA postal and it is definitely a disaster. I have decreased my selling and wondering how to go forward.

I have loyal customers who pay the price for all of this. Have yet to figure out how to rectify this. I have to agree with most people. eBay and CA Post are taxing and feeing themselves out of a lot of business.
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Sometimes people make a claim because they think that delivery should be faster than it is. Once I have shipped, I always send a message to the buyer confirming that I have shipped and give them an estimated arrival time. For items going out of Canada, I also mention that arrival may take longer if there is a delay in customs. I mention that second part mostly to jog their memory that the item is coming from another country.  This seems to cut down on the number of claims and/or 'where is my item' messages.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Canada post has a very small pool of customers compared to US post, for the second largest country in the world, and on top of that, a federal law that guarantees them a monopoly on letter mail delivery by forcing other couriers to charge 3 times what CPC charges for a given size envelope delivery. Small market plus monopoly = they can set whatever prices they want, but also that they're losing money like crazy even then because they're driving away customers.
Message 20 of 23
latest reply