Hi the Royal Canadian Mint in recent history, provided banks with bags of coin

Hi the Royal Canadian Mint in recent history, (1960s or 70s), provided banks with bags of coin, rather than shipping rolls and boxes to banks as is the contemporary practice. Does anyone know what year(s) this practice desisted to the contempory protocol. When collectors state that their coins are mint rolls, this could not have been true prior to a certain year. I have machine rolled BU coins from the 1960s, however their seems to be a descrepency as to them being mint rolls or not. aIs there a definitive history out there.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Hi the Royal Canadian Mint in recent history, provided banks with bags of coin

@donskopyk2009 wrote:

Hi the Royal Canadian Mint in recent history, (1960s or 70s), provided banks with bags of coin, rather than shipping rolls and boxes to banks as is the contemporary practice. Does anyone know what year(s) this practice desisted to the contempory protocol. When collectors state that their coins are mint rolls, this could not have been true prior to a certain year. I have machine rolled BU coins from the 1960s, however their seems to be a descrepency as to them being mint rolls or not. Is there a definitive history out there.

For what it's worth...

A check with Colonial Acres shows "original" rolls dating from 1965 (although whether original refers to the Canadian Mint or to a bank package is unclear). Anything dated earlier does not use the term "original".

They also have a sealed $60 Royal Mint bag of loose cents listed from the 1960's.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Re: Hi the Royal Canadian Mint in recent history, provided banks with bags of coin

Just received an email from the Royal Canadian Mint, they said the practice of switching from bagged coins to rolls and boxes changed in the mid 1980s. So mint rolls did not exist before then. This means bu rolls must be bank rolls or other machine rolls before then. Regards d

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I believe that is also where the term bag marks came from...coins banging against each other. Thanks for the info...I never would have guessed 1980's.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply