Selling on Ebay

I'm wondering if you sell on ebay and you put on your page FREE shipping which basiclly means SNAIL  MAIL as USA postal service seems to take forever to deliver a envelope from canada to the USA destination. and you warn the  Buyer that FREE shipping does not guarantee a delivery date. And  that there is no REFUNDS or EXCHNGES before buying an item.

Then the user should not be allowed to leave SELLER negative feedback or put in a DISPUTE for a refund if it's clearly shows on site that no REFUNDS. I have no issues with Canada postal service at all it just seems to be with USA postal service. They want an item dirt cheap on Ebay but they don't want to pay to have the item sent with a tracking number as it can be expensive. So my point is if they choose SNAIL MAIL then they should not be able to leave  FEEDBACK  on delivery status sellers have no control over the postal system. And if we put expensive shipping we would not sell any thing.

COMMENTS WELCOME !!!! LOL

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Selling on Ebay

Hi,

I think that many sellers would like to agree with you on that, it would be nice if you state in your listing that you do not give refunds that you would be able to uphold that.

Unfortunately, if you accept PayPal (and we all have to) you do give refunds, because PayPal says so. Which makes it a moot point to state no refunds in a listing.

Honestly, I can't believe that e-bay hasn't made it mandatory to state that returns and refunds are accepted in all listings, they would clear up alot of confusion for both buyers and sellers.

I hear you on the mail issue, we ship by Canada Post lettermail, we add a couple of days onto the shipping time that they estimate when we tell our customers when to expect their item. It usually turns out to be fairly accurate. From time to time we use the small or light packet service, always airmail, it's pretty quick too.

Too bad that we just can't compete with the Americans when it comes to the prices we have to charge for shipping.

Good luck in your sales!

Heather

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

"They want an item dirt cheap on Ebay but they don't want to pay to have the item sent with a tracking number as it can be expensive."

Take a few minutes and contemplate the situation from a potential American buyer's perspective.  The bulk of the market is in the USA, we all know that.

Why would an American buyer purchase a product from you in Canada instead of buying it from a seller in the USA?  Do you offer a better product?  A similar product at a better price? Better or competitive shipping charge?

To sell by mail competitively and successfully, a Canadian seller MUST find positive answers to those questions, regardless of the type of products you sell.

Why would an American buyer buy from you?

Think about it.

Good Luck.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

I'm wondering if you sell on ebay and you put on your page FREE shipping which basiclly means SNAIL  MAIL as USA postal service seems to take forever to deliver a envelope from canada to the USA destination.

If you mean the postal system, offering Free Shipping really means you are transferring the cost of shipping to the asking price of the item.  And so are your US competitors.

You can use any service you like. LetterPost and LightPacket are cheap and fast Air Mail services. It is useful to put the blue Air Mail sticker on the package.

Air Mail Small Packet is more expensive, insured up to $100 and pretty fast. Again the blue sticker.

Expedited is Surface but is Delivery Confirmed and insured up to $100.

I find it useful to put "normally 9 business days for delivery " in my Refunds and Checkout boxes as a PYA.

Most parcels arrives sooner than that.

and you warn the  Buyer that FREE shipping does not guarantee a delivery date.

Negative remarks like that will turn off buyers.

And  that there is no REFUNDS or EXCHNGES before buying an item.

If you take Paypal you give refunds. Apparently PP and eBay have decided that No Returns means you will not accept returns and are now allowing unhappy buyers to keep the unacceptable item and get a refund anyway.

So this statement, in addition to being negative and a turn-off, will lose you both money and items.

Then the user should not be allowed to leave SELLER negative feedback or put in a DISPUTE for a refund if it's clearly shows on site that no REFUNDS.

Read your Paypal agreement. And for that matter, your merchant credit card agreement. And your eBay agreement.

While the customer is not always right, the customer should be able to expect a decent product for his money. Refunds and returns are a normal part of doing business.

I actually agree that the Shipping Time rating is all too often misunderstood to be Delivery Time by buyers, and would like it to be removed or at least not counted.

I understand that if you promise OneDay Shipping time that you get some sort of break on DSRs, but I am not clear on just what it is.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

sunnycat2011
Community Member

Any one who knows ebay charged final Value fee on shipping? is it fair?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

No FREE shipping does not mean the shipping  charges are included in the price i sell it for an example is.

I sell a Decal for $ 5.99 free shipping means

$ 5.99 - .47 cents to Ebay right off the bat  .41 cents to  pay pal right off the bat thats $5.11 cost  $ 2.06 cents postage $ 5.06- $ 206 = $ 3.00 plus $ 1.00 for a 9x13 bubble envelope = $ 3.00 - $ 1.00 = $ 2.00  on an item that originally sold for $ 5.99.

a

And the $ 2.00 profit does not count on shipping labels being printed out as well as a full sheet of directions explaining how to apply said decal. When this is taken into account  $ 1.00 profit.

After all the money grabbers it's like makin 76 cents for the item profit then the buyer F@#$# it up and wants another one free shipping at my cost means no profit at all actually cost me money, Then there is no proof it was shipped to the buyer so REFUND is only way to go cause know one is gonna pay $ 8.95 shipping for a $ 5.99 sticker. So they except SNAIL MAIL instead. Then they should not be able to ding the seller on Feedback cause the USA postal service is sooooo slow.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

abigmug
Community Member

I use lettermail for both United States and Canada.  The speed is pretty good - I can count on getting my stuff there within two weeks.  However, when I switch to small/light packet, I usually use airmail, as it means that I can grab them quickly.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply