Sometimes eBay Listens to Us!

wenrath
Community Member

Many of you will recall that when these "Next Generation Community" forums were implemented in the spring, there were a lot of complaints about features. It took months, but at least two of them have finally been fixed:

1) The asinine duplication of the first post in a thread is gone.

2) The hover feature is back! If you let your mouse pointer rest on a topic heading without clicking it, you see the first sentence or two of the first post. That helps you decide whether to click to read the rest.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

These changes have been in the USA for a week or two.

The balloon popup to preview a topic is nice but it only shows the first paragraph. So when it is a short first paragraph like "Hi", not much is previewed.  Better than before.

Spell checker is poor because the dictionary is restricted but I use iespell, an Internet Explorer addon.

Copy and paste seems to be working better too. Before it would very strange things. It still seems to add in extra blank lines between paragraphs when doing copy/paste from Word.

I wonder if italics font works now.  It seems like it was broken for the past weeks.

TEST Italics.

I will have to see this post to see if the Italics worked. Preview works.

Another thing that happens is the Post / Preview / Cancel buttons randomly disappear for me in the past. The spot where the button is supposed to be is still hyperlinked so I can click on the sport and still get the function.

I would really like a 15 minute edit window on a post to correct typos that are missed in preview and seen as soon as you post.

The time out for posting is sometimes a pain if you type a longer response.  But I learned to do a CTRL A all then CTRL C copy of the post before previewing of posting so I do not lose my post.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Good, italics worked.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

wenrath
Community Member

These changes have been in the USA for a week or two.

So actually eBay listened to the American complaints first, even though we have had the new format boards longer....

The time out for posting....   

I didn't know about that! It probably explains most of my lost posts. I thought the program just randomly quit, but a timeout makes sense.  I too have learned to copy before previewing so I don't lose stuff.

My Post/Preview/Cancel buttons are still only half present on my Windows computer. The top half is showing. They are cut off in a horizontal line through the middle of the words.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

wenrath
Community Member

And just when you think the line spacing problem has been solved, it reappears again as in my last post! 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

it*s-not-me
Community Member

Your Heading:  "Sometimes ebay Listens to Us" is misleading.

So, eBay "sometimes" listens to us when it's related to a chat board which means nothing at all to them.

Even then it takes them moths to respond to some piddly requests.

EBay does NOT listen to us.

They work very hard and spend a lot of money trying to create the illusion that they are listening.......

What is really happening is that they are frantically searching for the proper heading on their sheet so that they can read the best suited blurb off to us.

They could not care less what you or I have to say.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I will disagree with you. My experience with eBay Canada employees Kalvin and Vincenzo is that they do respond to some issues in these forums. 

Whether they read the forums or eBay members send them issues directly by eBay, these two do listen and help within their ability. They are limited by what they can do but when they can, they do fix some things in real time, not months.

For example, when eBay.com started showing delivery times estimates for shipping to Canada that were very long for Canadian sellers listing on eBay, they corrected them within a few days.

The recent Canada Post flat rate boxes being discontinued without notice on eBay's part was corrected once they were made aware of it.

I complained once about the eBay Sell Your Item form not saving templates in Can $$ when I chose Can $$ and it was fixed in a month.

I have more examples of things I pointed out to eBay Canada and they were fixed but cannot remember them right now.

So when possible, they do listen to eBay members.  They need to be made aware of the issues to do something about them.

On major issues like the ones you experienced recently, their policy takes over and nothing can be done.

But a blanket eBay does not listen to its members does not care less is just false.

I personally have been pleasantly surprised at how my small voice has been listened to by eBay Canada. To the point where I will report issues I find and follow up on them. Sometimes they are fixed and sometimes they are not. But at least there is the hope of a response and change.

PS You have been very negative for a while on these forums. I understand why but going on and on about eBay so much serves no real purpose. I just tune you out now and speed read your posts to see if there is any valuable content. No criticism intended but most of your posts content is being ignored by me and possibly others. Something to think about.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

it*s-not-me
Community Member

I personally have been pleasantly surprised at how my small voice has been listened to by eBay Canada.

PS You have been very negative for a while on these forums. I understand why but going on and on about eBay so much serves no real purpose. I just tune you out now and speed read your posts to see if there is any valuable content. No criticism intended but most of your posts content is being ignored by me and possibly others. Something to think about.

Poco......... that's nice that eBay has listened to you....... 🙂 and thank you for pointing that out.

You are correct, and I agree that some Canadian eBay employees do respond to specific Canadian technical issues.

That's Good!

However........ I have never ......... ever....... been listened to when it really matters.

I've called CS often enough now to know that they are  clearly reading off of a piece of paper and are only listenitng to me long enough to find the correct response.

Try it and if you think they are actually listening to you:

Think Again!

Yes, by all means ignore my posts if they do not interest you.

However. clearly someone is reading them (805 times anyway).

In the middle of my rants I've posted some good information which many Canadians are not aware of.........

Yes...... I have been very negative lately but I have good cause for that.

Something for you to think about..... :).

I already have.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

it*s-not-me
Community Member

I will disagree with you. My experience with eBay Canada employees Kalvin and Vincenzo is that they do respond to some issues in these forums.

............. . Something to think about.

Poco......  I did actualy give your post a little more thought.....

I'm not sure, but perhaps Klavin and Vincenzo would fix some of the problems for Canadian sellers etc. that I've been ranting about.............

but it's not within their power to do so......... I don't know.............. but that's possible too.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply