The New eBay Community Boards

Hi Everyone -

We created this forum as a central place to discuss changes, suggestions, concerns, etc... about the new Community. We're excited about the upcoming changes and think you'll like them too!

Thanks

Kalvin

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Good morning Kalvin

"...created this forum as a central place to discuss changes, suggestions, concerns..."

My concern is always the same.

"We're excited about the upcoming changes "

Do not take it personally but that is my concern! 😞
You guys always get excited about changes. Change this, change that, change everything that can be changed, whether a change is needed of not, whether a change is desirable or not.

Some of us prefer the "same old, same old".
Message 2 of 78
latest reply

"Some of us prefer the "same old, same old".

I agree with Pierre

I have been on the boards for 10 years and
I am not impressed with these changes

I do not see any reason why they need to be changed

weavers
Message 3 of 78
latest reply

I used to be a regular poster on the US and sometimes on the Canadian Answer Centre but quit after the last big change. I took time out of my day to volunteer to help others and was rated on how helpful I was. Just didn't sit right with me.

How are these new changes going to affect those answer centre forums?
Message 4 of 78
latest reply

valve37
Community Member
Great stuff! I like the direction bringing us into the 21st century.

"Integration with social networking sites such as Facebook, and Twitter (coming later in 2011)."

............. and the video feature.
"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 5 of 78
latest reply

Thanks for your feedback guys. I definitely understand your concerns, especially with the rate of change on eBay over the last couple of years.

The reasons I, personally, am excited about these changes are the following:

1. The new interface to post is a true WYSIWYG interface that will make it easier for members who aren't familiar with HTML to post.

2. The new product gives us a more current and scalable platform.

3. Answer Centre - We're changing the categories to make it easier for members to understand the appropriate category to post into (and thereby find the right information more quickly). I also like the functionality for members to indicate whether or not the answer solved their issue. The important distinction here is that it isn't them rating the person who posted the answer, it's them indicating whether or not it solved their issue (which validates the answer for other members who search the Centre for the same issue).

4. Groups - This is a new feature for us and I think it will add a lot to the Community overall. It allows members who share common interests and passions to create their own groups with like-minded individuals and create mini-communities of their own.

I'll be totally candid- overall you're definitely going to see some changes. The look & feel of the new community is lighter and cleaner. The interface to post changes slightly and because of the WYSIWYG interface it makes changes to the way you post images, and we're also consolidating and removing some forums/categories (as noted). So... it's a change, and it'll take some adjusting, but I truly believe it's the right thing for us to do in order to support the Community.

Kalvin

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 6 of 78
latest reply

I registered on ebay in 2003. A couple of months later I stumbled onto the Canada Board and have been there ever since. Many friendships have been made and some of us have met others in person.

Some would come from the "threaded boards" to the Canada Board which is a chat board and say they didn't like the format. I think I can speak for most if not all of us that post there that we prefer that format and that is why we are there and not here although I do visit here at times. I think I can speak for most, if not all on the Canada Board that we, OK I don't like to discuss age, let's just say we are far removed from being teenagers.

On behalf of myself, I don't own an ipod, a blackberry, a GPS and a lot of other items. I am not on Facebook, Twitter or any of those other social sites. I like to keep it simple. I came, found the Canada Board, liked it, made friends and it is there that I have stayed.

Yes, we usually "chat" there, but do at times get asked questions and try to help out as much as we can.

I could see the writing on the wall when the Australia and Germany chat boards were removed. Then came the demise of the UK chat board.

If you think you're going to change our pattern of posting, possible, but not likely, the same as the people from the threaded boards don't want to post on the chat boards.

We or I have already put things in place to pick up our bags and move to the International Trading Board. Another chat board, but a US one. That is for as long as that one lasts.
Message 7 of 78
latest reply

From what I saw on eBay UK, the forum seems to be better. I do find the current forums functional and easy to follow. Such an important category such the Payment and Shipping chat room format is hideous and totally useless for information. That will not be missed except for content.

Speaking of content, from what I understand, the old forums die on May 2 and all information in them will be lost. That is too bad. Some useful information in there but at the same time, it is impossible to find easily even to save some if I want. What about some of the pinned threads on seller changes where a lot of questions were asked and answered. With changes coming in July, are you going to summarize them again in a new pinned thread?.

Will search be better in the new forums?
Will we be able to edit posts to correct them after a typo is seen?

I am using forums on other sites and there are many advantages on them over eBay. So I think the change will be good if similar features are implemented.
Message 8 of 78
latest reply

Hmm, two different opinions on the chat room format. Interesting. I posted after and my post was not to attack the other. Please note that.

I too am older and not into iphone, Facebook, etc. I find the social sites too intrusive.
Message 9 of 78
latest reply

I meant to say I posted after the other post while it was being written and posted so I did not read it. Again, it was not to attack the post.
Message 10 of 78
latest reply

S'ok pocomocomputing, I understand LOL. However, I beg to disagree with your opinion. I just find it's different people with different tastes. Makes for a more interesting population. Something that assimilation doesn't.
Message 11 of 78
latest reply

The important distinction here is that it isn't them rating the person who posted the answer, it's them indicating whether or not it solved their issue

That is how its supposed to be used, yes. I've found, however, in reality, that this is often not the case. Pre-ratings - the answer centres were always self policing. That is to say, the rare wrong or incorrect information was always dispelled quickly without the need of a ratings system. Its unnecessary and redundant in my opinion. And on a personal level I find it insulting to rate volunteers. I just don't like it and never have and won't participate.

We'll see how the rest of the changes shake out.
Message 12 of 78
latest reply

Hi Poco -

Thanks for your input. The vast majority of content will actually be migrated over to the new system, with the exception being some of that in the older chat format. All the pinned threads and such will be migrated over for sure.

For search, there are changes that will improve that functionality. Search will be more robust where as previously, when you search for a particular keyword, it would only render results for either Discussion Boards, or Answer Centre because the two areas where separated. In the new system, the components are tied which means that search results will render relevant information from all the components: Discussion Boards, Answer Centre, Groups and Videos.

In terms of being able to edit posts, once the post has been submitted you will not be able to edit it. However, the new WYSIWYG interface has a more user-friendly spell check that should help with typos and the "Preview" feature will also still be available for you to review posts prior to posting them.

Thanks!

Kalvin

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 13 of 78
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
I've noticed that all posts in the answer boards older than one year have been deleted.Will it be policy from now on to only keep posts for one year?
Message 14 of 78
latest reply

ma-ple-leaf
Community Member

I like to chat I too will be on the IT Board.

Message 15 of 78
latest reply

tigerfire26
Community Member
Just to Say "High & Goodby to all my Friends on Ebay.

CA CE.CE Pierrie. ETC.

Regards. Eric

Tigerfire 26.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 78
latest reply

I've noticed that all posts in the answer boards older than one year have been deleted.Will it be policy from now on to only keep posts for one year?

Hi Scifan57 -

The Answer Centre settings currently archive posts after one year of inactivity. That same setting will continue to apply once they upgrade has occurred.

Thanks!

Kalvin
~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 17 of 78
latest reply

I do not notice the "powered by Live World" message on the new boards. Does this mean Live World (appointed by eBay in May 2001) is no longer monitoring these boards?

As we know from their annual report, Live World has the tools giving them the abiity to motinor up to 1,000 posts/hour/moderator (that is almost one post every three and half seconds).

If LiveWorld is no longer monitoring, who is?

Message 18 of 78
latest reply

Hi Pierre -

LiveWorld still powers and moderates the boards, there have been no changes in that regard.

Thanks!

Kalvin

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 19 of 78
latest reply

Thank you Kalvin.

I do not see avatars today.

Is the problem at my end?

Message 20 of 78