New to Ebay Motors

Hello everyone,

My name is Jimmy Ruptash, from Canada Québec and I just started my new ebay account in order to sell vehicles online. My dream started when I was working in a Volkswagen dealership as a salesman and was reading on how people managed their internet sales (over in the US) when I came across the biggest used car online dealer in the US who sold only on EBAY 

So after reading a lot and developing a business plan, I left Volkswagen, took my savings and got myself a floor plan with a Lot and started to sales cars. In my first two months at the moment I have 15 sales which I find not too bad for a start up. All those sales were people who called me because they saw my listings on trader or kijiji or facebook. So now i'm thinking since all the leads are from internet, maybe people would be interested in completely buying online, skipping the whole 1990 car dealership experience.

Before investing I wanted to have your thoughts on my concept. First off all my listings would be as transparent and described as possible. I would do an 150 points inspection to the vehicle and list all the things that came up during the inspection. You would have the tire and brake wear, all defects on the car photographed such as dents or scratches. Listings would have 50 pictures of the car to clearly have all the angles and interior. Once the vehicle sold, the vehicle will be paid either with cash or cheque upon delivery, or I can offer financing. Keeping in mind that I want to be transparent as possible with my customers, I would also add a 7 days or 500 km return policy so if the vehicle is not as describe or is not how they wanted, I would take it back no questions ask. 

Customer service is very important to me and I would like to take off all the dealership experience were you have to negotiate not only for the vehicle you buy but the one you sell, then go two or three times to the dealer, and pick up your car over there. I would deliver the vehicle to your door step, with all paper work ready.

What do you guys think ? Is Canada ready for this kind of buying experience without seeing the vehicle ? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

New to Ebay Motors

"Before investing ..."

There is no need for a big investment to sell your cars on eBay.  You already have the lot, you already have the inventory.

Take a look at the fee schedule:  http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/motorfees.html#vehicle-price

Then read it again .... and one more time to fully understand how it works.

At the beginning you should look at eBay as one more venue to reach potential customers.  Do not put all your eggs in one basket.  You have something good going on... add to it.

Start small... grow from there as you gain more eBay experience.

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

New to Ebay Motors

First off all my listings... back no questions ask. 

Most of that is the expected eBay norm.

Standards for sellers are pretty high.

EBay Motors has a very different system than most categories on eBay, so some of the advice you get here will be very generic.

I believe you can only have 12 pictures in your Gallery. However, using a third party like google photos or flickr to add pictures to your description is possible.

There may be more available if you use TurboLister, which many sellers who use PCs like.

It is a good idea to do some buying on eBay before launching into a selling career. This gives you a better idea of the customer's experience. 

We usually suggest shipping products like bubblewrap or a scale, but I don't think those would be useful to you.

Shipping is the hardest part of selling on eBay. Your Kijiji and FB postings are likely to have found more or less local customers?

EBay is a world market.

Be careful setting up destinations you will not ship to.

This is from the Sell Your Item form.

Excluded shipping locations  Exclude shipping locations help
Your listing may be visible on other international eBay sites. To exclude buyers in certain locations from purchasing your item, create a shipping exclusion list.
No locations are currently excluded.
Create/edit exclusion list

You may want to think of all your online advertising as just that-- advertising and publicity and for the most part to put any costs under that heading when bookkeeping.'Specifically, make sure your listing looks good on a smartphone. Many of your customers will be doing at least their preliminary Search there.

Above all,  read the eBaydotCOM Motors thread looking for common scams against buyers and sellers.

Most transactions go smoothly, but newbies are targetted by scammers.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

New to Ebay Motors

@demetryauto wrote:

I would also add a 7 days or 500 km return policy 

You do realize that line is in virtually every scam car ad on the internet. Selling cars on eBay to total strangers with your zero feedback will be difficult. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply