I am so annoyed with e-bay

hazzaji
Community Member

I am so annoyed with e-bay changing the rules that, bottom line, takes more of the users money with their new Canadian program and tax set up.  Adding 13% percent to their fees makes the whole e-bay experience distasteful.

I'm done.  C'mon Amazon!!!!!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

revaud
Community Member

Amazon charges tax as well.Those are the laws of the land I am afraid. I never mind paying HST as I know that a part of that goes to healthcare which is the most important thing offered to us as citizens.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I am so sorry that you feel you have to leave. eBay needs good honest and reliable sellers. It was only a matter of time and inevitable that this company would start adding the HST. Hopefully they are giving to our government.

There are always new challenges with any business model and it's simply up to us to be creative.

I think that if more people let eBay know that charging fees on our Federal Canada Post costs, is morally wrong, they may listen.

If eBay removed the fees on shipping, it will help to offset the costs of the HST. 

I've contacted many government agencies to ask if this was legal, when it first started, and not one federal employee could tell me how that was possible.

eBay is a great platform to do business and meet other like-minded people around the world. We just have to work harder to get some meaningful discussions going with the people that make these decisions that affect our lives so greatly. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Fees on shipping is a far greater misjustice for sure. Ebay has no control on tax decisions so they cannot be blamed for this. But the fees on shipping is another issue that they do have control of.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@equalityrocks wrote:

.... It was only a matter of time and inevitable that this company would start adding the HST. Hopefully they are giving to our government.....

It is highly illegal to collect tax and then fail to submit it to the government for whom you have collected that tax. ebay Canada would NEVER make such a egregious mistake. Especially not after publicly notifying the entire world they would begin collecting tax from its sellers. 

It's only sales tax collected on our monthly seller's fees. The sky is not falling. It's far less detrimental to any seller's profitability than  it would be to start charging a sales tax on goods sold to our buyers. That would be a deal killer for many of us, as I think buyers would look at the tax and take a hike.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

You are absolutely right. It was said, "tongue in cheek", and probably was inappropriate. For that I apologize.

As the for the rest of what I said, I am being very sincere when I say, that it is very sad to lose good sellers, because they feel that they have no other alternatives.

Getting rid of the fees on shipping is the right thing to do, for eBay, and should never have been implemented to begin with. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@equalityrocks wrote:
Getting rid of the fees on shipping is the right thing to do, for eBay, and should never have been implemented to begin with.

Not going to happen.

The fees were brought in for several reasons.

1. to clamp down on the fee avoidance method of putting all the item cost into the shipping side.

2. to encourage sellers to offer "free" shipping.

3. the A-river does it...

Although one possible way would be to charge fees on the total price and give sellers a fee credit based on the actual shipping they buy via eBay (Shippo). That would solve reason 1 (and most of 2). Of course the folks who don't use eBay to buy shipping would be really ****** ****** ***.

-..-

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Have you figured out the actual extra cost? According to the sold items that I can see  your total for sales+shipping for the past 3 months is just under $500. Fees at 10% is $50 and 13% on that is $6.50....about an extra $2.16/month. Only you can know though if that is a deal breaker for you. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I do agree that some sellers were doing that years ago. It is like punishing a classroom of children for the misdeeds of the few.
I think that your idea is great. I would go for that.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

would be really ****** ****** ***.

The Urban Dictionary fails to translate this.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@equalityrocks wrote:
I do agree that some sellers were doing that years ago. It is like punishing a classroom of children for the misdeeds of the few.
I think that your idea is great. I would go for that.

That wouldn't work for the sellers that don't specify shipping as a separate cost. They would have to pay fvf on the full amount. Ebay is still trying to encourage free shipping, that would kill it for many sellers.

Also, if ebay did not have the revenue for the shipping fvf, then the fvf on our sales would go up. They aren't going to suddenly forgo a portion of fees that they now receive. They did change the fee structure somewhat when the shipping fvf was brought in so some sellers were then paying less fees than previously although I ended up paying more in my category.  I suspect that ebay comes out ahead in the end but they aren't going to drop shipping fvf's and not compensate in some other way.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Once Upon a Time Ago.....

eBay charged a Final Value Fee (FVF)on the price of an item sold, and only on the price of an item sold.

Many sellers became (?) very smart, and dropped the price of an item to $1.00  and the cost of shipping skyrocketed..

Then ..... that is when eBay reduced  the FVF on the price of an item sold and charged the FVF on the cost of an item plus the shipping cost 

If a seller ships outside of Canada, then the FVF on shipping is applied to the cost of shipping within Canada,  and only this cost

-----------------------------

Like any other business registered to charge GST/HST,  eBay is following the rules as presented by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)

All GST/HST collected by eBay is remitted to CRA .... after.... Input Tax Credits (ITC) are deducted

------------------------------

A seller can express many little concerns...

......but if one knows the history of eBay....

.....and then what happens to the GST/HST charged by eBay... 

there should be an understanding of the what, and the why... of things on eBay...

Message 12 of 12
latest reply