Offensive banner ads

Is anyone else faced with offensive 'Ad Choice' banner ads this morning? In the spot across the top of my Messages page where I am normally subjected to advertisements for home decor stores that I will never frequent, today I see what appears to be a giant erect member in the hands of manicured female getting the balloon treatment with the supposedly clever tongue-in-cheek headline that says 'Take a look at what's getting big in Winnipeg'.

Does anyone screen this nonsense? Or is the sky the limit when it comes to accepting advertising dollars?

I don't appreciate this at 6:38 am when I sit down at my desk to take care of important matters. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Offensive banner ads

Hello again my friend.

Yes we have also experience the ads you mentioned earlier this week. We solved the problem by resetting our modems to factory and then reentering ISP info. This may well be a malware attack or maybe even worse.

Since ebay waits months before reporting hacks this could be anything really. And as you mentioned it could also be poor filtering by ebay software geeks.

As usual with ebay, us the paying members are left looking for a solution.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Offensive banner ads

Hello again my friend.

Yes we have also experience the ads you mentioned earlier this week. We solved the problem by resetting our modems to factory and then reentering ISP info. This may well be a malware attack or maybe even worse.

Since ebay waits months before reporting hacks this could be anything really. And as you mentioned it could also be poor filtering by ebay software geeks.

As usual with ebay, us the paying members are left looking for a solution.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Offensive banner ads

Thank you. I'll talk to the resident geek about resetting our ISP and other work-arounds like those you mentioned.

I'd think ebay would be a little more diligent about letting junk like that through. It's something I'd expect to see on a blog or some other free-to-the-unwashed-masses page. This is a place of business. Isn't it?

I'll have a look through the earlier threads to see the other reports made. I missed them.

Have a good day.

M

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Offensive banner ads

I would suggest installing free AdBlockPlus addon available for most browsers and never see Ads again on eBay or anywhere else. Less clutter on your screen space, faster loading pages.

I have used it for years in FireFox browser, my main browser. I also have Google Chrome and Internet Explorer browsers installed as backup browsers but I do not have AdBlockPlus installed there. Just in case something important gets blocked. I check once in a while with those browsers to see how listings look like and I am always amazed at how many ads (moving ads that take up CPU resources) eBay has.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Offensive banner ads

I also recommend AdBlock Plus...best thing I ever installed..no more ads on Ebay,Facebook etc..

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Offensive banner ads

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 6
latest reply