Why Pitney Bowes

zynnax
Community Member

What if I do not want to use Pitney Bowes. I suddenly find that with that system, additional charges of at least 17% are added for supposed brokerage, customs and a whole list of other charges besides shipping, This example : a used $290 Nikon 18-200 lens, for which there should not be custom charges if sent by US post sees the costs increase by almost 50$.  And the regulations say that there will be no refund if the charges happen to be less that what actually paid. I would like to understand.

LIsting at 9:36 today

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-AFS-18200mm-F3556-II-VR-DX-ED-G-Lens-/300941994859

Current bid:
US $289.30

Shipping:
US $13.79 (approx. C $14.18) International Priority Shipping to Canada  See details

Ships to:
United States and many other countries | See details

Import charges:
US $48.29 (estimated and based on current bid) 
Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Why Pitney Bowes

I suggest you contact kalvin@ebay.com with all details.  Be patient.

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

Why not just stop using eBay?

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

Absolutely!
Message 23 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

If seller is forced to use eBay's "GPS" for what ever reason why shouldn't eBay be responsible for the refunds, It really is no different than if the item was "not as described" or "was not received" allwhich are covered by eBay's guarantee.
Message 24 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

Sellers are not "forced" to use the Global Shipping Program.

It is heavily promoted as a method of avoiding bad feedback from foreign buyers whose postal systems do not work very well (as well as those few who are outright scammers).

Unhappy foreign buyers, who do not recieve their items promptly, do (and should) open Item Not Received disputes and win refunds before the item arrives. This hurts the seller.

And Americans are notoriously inward looking. A seller might shrug off a "undelivered" claim from California, but go ballistic if a similar claim came in from an Australian whose purchase was shipped by Surface Mail.

In addition, eBay is on a bit of a sales plateau, and one way of increasing those sales (and getting more fees) is to encourage xenophobic US sellers to sell internationally.

But the program does not work well for purchases valued under $50-$100. It does not work well for Canadian buyers.

And it does not work well if there is a problem with the item purchased. There have also been some reports of parcels being opened (which is probably done under the supervision of CBSA. Probably.) and then badly repacked causing damage.

Personally, I avoid sellers using the Program. But there are some advantages to it on high-price/ high-value/scarce items which might not otherwise be available to Canadian buyers.

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

I have tried the GSP shipping and it is really a scam. Took longer, the price was way too high, and for the first time ever they opened my parcel at customs DO NOT USE GSP shipping.

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

Global Shipping "hi-jack" what would be good transactions,and jack up shipping and import fees to really rediculous amounts,and on top of that they open all packages for so called "inspections",This middle-man action is a rip-off to buyers,and bad buisness for sellers, when buyers refuse to purchase from sellers using the Global Shipping system.As for me I only look to purchase from sellers NOT using Global Shipping. and that is my TWO CENTS worth of gripping,or FIFTY CENTS worth by Global Shipping rates.

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

What did we do before Global Shipping??????? We didn't pay brokerage fees!!! We aren't all dummies!

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

If it's not broken, don't try to fix it. Sounds like you work for Pitney Bowes!

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

Well thanks everyone for those clarifications. 

As I am also from Canada, (quebec) I now find that is it mostly useless these days to buy anything from ebay, wether it's used or not.  

Most prices become prohibitive if you had the Pitneybowes fees and it then makes no sense buying a used item for the price of a new one.

Ebay should have stayed what it was before; A nice universal place that just looks like a garage sale. 

Now more and more stores are doing business on ebay and they take all the place and you can barely find regular member's listings.

Also, in my many communications with sellers regarding potential purchases, most of them could not see how much more was their item because of the new import fees, therefore they had no control on the listing price. So my advice is, contact them and see what they can do. USPS and canada post are great ways of shipping, and if you declare correctly what you have to declare, you will pay minimal custom fees and taxes and what not. 

To all government, tax officials and PB workers that are reading this, just know that this new import charge fee is ridiculous and that it kills the idea of buying on ebay. 

As a matter of fact, I am now spending more time on local selling websites, where people get the right price and pay the right price.

Message 30 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

most of them could not see how much more was their item because of the new import fees

The advice you should give them is:

Go to your shipping and handling page on the listing and  and change the country to Canada. Then enter a Canadian postal code (K0A 0A6 for example, which is the House of Commons in Ottawa).

The listing will now show how much a Canadian buyer will pay in duty (usually not much if anything), sales taxes ( 13% in Ontario), and the Pitney Bowes service fee (made up in part of their shipping costs-- remember they are moving the parcel from Kentucky to Canada and in part of profit). 

Also let your seller know that USPS First Class International Shipping to Canada now includes Delivery Confirmation, which is one reason that many seller signed up in the first place. (The other is that they have to bring international parcels to the PO and can't use either post boxes or home pickup as they can for domestic parcels.)

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The other is that they have to bring international parcels to the PO and can't use either post boxes or home pickup as they can for domestic parcels.

I am not sure it is still the case anymore... Because one person who shipped me a package said that the mailman picked up my parcel directly from her home.

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

Was she using the Global Shipping Program? Because those parcels go from the Seller to Pitney Bowes' faciltiy in Kentucky.

As domestic mail, those would be picked up.

Still if the USPS has changed their policy, then there is one more reason for US sellers NOT to use the GSP

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

Stark and Femme, my understanding from the USPS website is that Priority International and International Express packages qualify for USPS's pickup service.  In addition, posts on the .com board suggest that at their discretion, some carriers will even pick up First Class International packages provided the mailing label/customs form is electronically "round-stamped".

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

Femme, GSP didn't exist at the time. It was about 2 years ago that she told me that.

With that said, I think marnotom answered the question, because the parcel I was talking about was sent Priority Mail.

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

Always be nice to posties, wait staff, cleaners. They do more to make your life easy than you would think.

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

Please post all comments about the GSP here: Comments about the GSP

Please post all questions about the GSP here: Questions about the GSP

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 37 of 38
latest reply

Why Pitney Bowes

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 38 of 38
latest reply