no "add to cart" for my listings on ebay.com

Hi everyone, since the transition, I have been listing on .ca site. Most of my customers are in the states, and they ask me why my listings have no "add to cart", just "buy it now". When I am on ebay Canada, it shows add to cart, but if I look at the same item on ebay.com, there is no add to cart. Do US customers have to be logged in to the .ca site to have the add to cart? If this is so, I will add a note in the description for my items. Just thought I would ask if there was anything else I could do, other than listing on .com, but then would Canadian customers not have an add to cart?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There is a long-known proprietary issue with the Shopping Cart on ebay.com as well as the Shopping Basket on ebay.co.uk; they only allow listings created on their native sites to be added to their carts whereas the global ebays (Canada, France, Spain, Italy etc) have a global cart which allows all listings created into it although a separate payment must be made for each currency therein.

Because it affects so relatively few (hundreds of thousands versus millions) of buyers and sellers outside the major ebay sites, it's not a high priority to fix. At least, this is what we have been told.

What I do as an ebay.ca seller is this, added to my payment instructions which you can do via Bulk Edit:

Seller's payment instructions

If you are shopping from eBay USA or eBay UK, you will discover you cannot add items listed on eBay CANADA to your US Cart or UK Basket. Log into www.ebay.ca to take full advantage of our combined postage discounts and FREE SHIPPING promotions. You’ll be glad you did

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

There is a long-known proprietary issue with the Shopping Cart on ebay.com as well as the Shopping Basket on ebay.co.uk; they only allow listings created on their native sites to be added to their carts whereas the global ebays (Canada, France, Spain, Italy etc) have a global cart which allows all listings created into it although a separate payment must be made for each currency therein.

Because it affects so relatively few (hundreds of thousands versus millions) of buyers and sellers outside the major ebay sites, it's not a high priority to fix. At least, this is what we have been told.

What I do as an ebay.ca seller is this, added to my payment instructions which you can do via Bulk Edit:

Seller's payment instructions

If you are shopping from eBay USA or eBay UK, you will discover you cannot add items listed on eBay CANADA to your US Cart or UK Basket. Log into www.ebay.ca to take full advantage of our combined postage discounts and FREE SHIPPING promotions. You’ll be glad you did

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Allow me to offer one final piece of advice about the dotcom cart and dotcouk basket disconnection: if you find you have a buyer that simply cannot wait for a workaround and they buy and pay for five items plus postage on each item, and you can combine those items into one order with one postage charge, do so.

Combine and refund the postage for the other items. Your buyer will thank you. But THEN CALL EBAY to request a REFUND on the FINAL VALUE FEES ON SHIPPING that you paid. If the postage went back to the buyer, the final value fees you paid on that shipping should go back too. Be persistent with eBay Customer Service. It may only amount to $1.75 CAD at a time, but it adds up. And why should you as a seller pay for money that you didn't keep? Plus, it is my belief that if eBay looks to see the reason they are issuing refunds for all these FVF on Shipping charges, they'll fix the problem. It takes time and money to refund money. Plus, you have to bid goodbye to that money, even if it was not really theirs to start with
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Fortunately, eBay fixed this problem in November. All eBay.ca items can fit into the eBay.com Shopping Cart and eBay.co.uk Shopping Basket.

That is for those shoppers using a desktop computer.

However, the mobile app (at least mine which isn't the latest version) doesn't offer a cart function when logged into eBay.ca while it does on eBay.com. I expect this to be fixed in the not-too-distant future if it isn't already. I am always reluctant to upgrade to the newest iPhone app because it never adds features I want or use, only stick me with the ones that I don't. Like limiting me to 600 viewable listings regardless of how many I have, and forcing me to look at the Daily Deals which we can no longer opt not to see.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 5
latest reply