Ebay Store Coupons are a Waste of Time!

If eBay really wants to benefit and compensate eBay.ca sellers for increased store subscription fees they should design a "coupon" for "general use" and not for overpriced shipping supplies that most sellers won't get much use out of.

I can go to my local Staples store and purchase exactly what I need for a fraction of the price.

An eBay coupon or store credit should be used for general use, purchasing whatever we want or desire, like the "eBay bucks" program they had set up a few years ago.

If I'm going to reinvest in eBay I would like to purchase what I want on eBay and not some useless shipping supplies that I will never get any use out of!

I'm selling my Store Coupon for 5.00USD if anyone is interested... LOL!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Unfortunately, the coupons are non-transferable.

I have heard other sellers say (whether in jest or in truth, I do not know) that they plan to resell their coupon-bought ebay shipping supplies instead. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

The eBay/Canada Post branded poly envelopes might be attractive to collectors of postal stationery.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The tape is attractive. I could see a smaller seller, one who doesn't own a store subscription, wanting a roll or two instead of 12 at a time for almost $70. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

"I have heard other sellers say (whether in jest or in truth, I do not know) that they plan to resell their coupon-bought ebay shipping supplies instead". 

Yes, but what else are they going to do with it... ?

Sellers also end up "paying out of pocket" because the coupon doesn't cover the cost of their order/shipping costs. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

A fraction of the price? You mean your Staples will sell you 100 bubble mailers for a couple bucks? How is that possible?

@silverpinups wrote:

"I have heard other sellers say (whether in jest or in truth, I do not know) that they plan to resell their coupon-bought ebay shipping supplies instead". 

Sellers also end up "paying out of pocket" because the coupon doesn't cover the cost of their order/shipping costs. 

What shipping costs? That store's listings for those shipping supplies very clearly indicate free shipping.

I don't understand why anybody would NOT want a supply of boxes or bubble mailers for what works out to be either free or a couple bucks. Why is this a bad thing?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

The amount of your coupon depends on your level of store subscription. As a second-level store subscriber, my coupon is a high enough value to cover the purchase of many items being offered. Entry-level store subscribers get only half what I do for their store coupon, meaning they would have to pay the difference out-of-pocket. So, it's then neither free nor particularly affordable. And the coupons cannot be saved or carried over from quarter to quarter. Perhaps that's all that needs to change at first. The ability for entry-level store subscribers to use two quarters' worth of coupons together to actually accumulate enough coupon value to get theirs for free too. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Plus the Free Shipping means only the cost of shipping is rolled into the price. For Canadians whose eBay shipping supplies are being mailed from the one North American hub, it means our shipping supplies are coming from the USA. At twice the cost as our American counterparts for whom the Free Shipping has a lesser dollar value where it is included in the price. 

Again, with my second-level store subscriber coupon being enough to cover a box of 12 rolls of pretty tape, I'm not that offended. 

If, due to my coupon being lesser as an entry-level store subscriber, I had to pay my own $35 Cad to get tape for 'free' at twice the price it's being offered to an American seller, you can bet that would get my goat. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@wonsxela wrote:

A fraction of the price? You mean your Staples will sell you 100 bubble mailers for a couple bucks? How is that possible?

@silverpinups wrote:

What shipping costs? That store's listings for those shipping supplies very clearly indicate free shipping.

I don't understand why anybody would NOT want a supply of boxes or bubble mailers for what works out to be either free or a couple bucks. Why is this a bad thing?

If you have a basic store the extra cost is more than a couple of bucks.  

Basic store coupon - $35

25 eBay shipping boxes 6x4x4" -$53.45 

my cost - $18.45

if I purchase the same size of boxes at Staples my cost would be $8.29

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Oh ok I didn't know there were different coupons for the different store types. Mine is Premium so I get a $70 coupon.

Still though, I have a local Staples and they don't sell that many boxes for anywhere near as good of a price as $8.29...or $18.45 for that matter.

What discount would you get on bubble mailers with the coupon?

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

It is less expensive if you purchase them online....I wouldn't purchase the at the store.  Shipping is $15 but free if you spend $45 which is easy for me to do.

I rarely use poly bags but do use bubble mailers and the cost of the eBay ones compared to various suppliers is more comparable and in some cases, the eBay brand  is less expensive.  Costco online does look to be less expensive though. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply