Is there a way to transfer or copy my Etsy listings to an Ebay store?

I think I might like to open an eBay store.  I have at present 133 items in my Etsy shop and I add at least 6 a day.  I am a bit...a lot...overwhelmed, thinking about starting the listing process all over again.  Is there a tool or something that will help me transfer or copy my Etsy listings.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Not to my knowledge.

Some sites allow the seller to transfer eBay listings, holus bolus, to their own sites. I have done this with Bonanza and eCrater. I don't remember if I was able to do it with Etsy.

I would suggest that you write your description in a word document, perhaps adding html, and make all your scans/photos.I find that the description is the hard part. Most of my products are flat so scanning is very easy. I suppose photography would take longer. You know that you can store your pictures either on your computer or in a third party service like Photobucket, right?

Then as you complete each new listing on either site, you can copy it to the other.

That would double the time spent listing those 6 new items, making them in effect 12 new items.

As the older Etsy listings expire, or on a slow day for new listings, you can update them and also list them to eBay.

Are you aware of the Paypal 21 Day Hold policy?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Re: PayPal 21 day hold policy.  I have been using PayPal in business for many years (eBay UK and then Etsy) so am assuming the policy doesn't affect me anymore.   I have moved back to Canada and have a shop now at Etsy but not sure I want to stay there.  

The photos I don't find a problem.  I have them stored on my computer.  Your suggestion is worth considering.  Putting into a word document.  It really shouldn't be too difficult.  I make and sell magnets.  The descriptions are basically identical with a few tweaks.

Are you familiar with Etsy?  When I lived in the UK and sold on eBay UK, I had been given a huge pile of very old post cards to do with as I pleased.  I sold them on eBay UK, bought more and sold them.  I really loved doing it.  I found listing so simple.  On Etsy I get tired of all the talk of SEO, tags and titles, of how to get to the front page and a better spot on Google search.  It makes me think of having a shop in a big city from the standpoint of advertising.  You have your shop but still have to work so hard to be seen.  I have been in retail in small towns and it's much easier....everyone knows you are there or can find you fairly easily.  That's how eBay feels to me.  Just write a good description and you're found.  I am not interested in having a 'business' insofar as it isn't vital that I 'make money'.  I just want to supplement my pension and enjoy myself.  The cost to sell at Etsy is low but that isn't my issue. I don't want to sell on both but may do both until I'm sure which one would be better for me.  The $20 for a shop doesn't bother me.  I'd just find another way to spend $20.  🙂    Opinions or suggestions anyone?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Re: PayPal 21 day hold policy.  I have been using PayPal in business for many years (eBay UK and then Etsy) so am assuming the policy doesn't affect me anymore.

Whenever a current seller starts a new selling id here, they are subject to all of the 'new' seller regulations . It's silly but that is the way they've been doing it. Since you don't have any selling experience in the last 6 months, there's a good chance that you will be subject to those same rules.

I've never sold at etsy but I I've haven't heard of anyone transferring their files from there.

Before you open a store you might want to do a few listings first and see how that goes as things have changed quite a bit in the last year.  Non store sellers do get free listings each month however if some categories, only auctions are free. If you do want to go ahead with a store right away, you might not want to lock yourself in for a year subscription as the penalty to cancel early can be pricey.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the info. re: Paypal 21 day hold policy.  I guess I can live with that.  I had heard about the early cancellation penalty so would try only monthly shop rental until I get a feel for how I might do.

I was going to try a few listings a month or so ago and for a fixed price, they wanted 30 cents....only free if an auction.

When I sold vintage postcards I could take the risk having auctions but not with my magnets.  They are too costly to print...lots of colour, lots of ink!  That's why I thought I'd just go straight for a store.  With the vintage postcards, there were usually a few folks who wanted them...collectors....so auction was fine.  But magnets I don't think would work that way.  

I was home in Canada for a few months last summer and sold some postcards before I had to return temporarily to England.  Everything went smoothly. It was great.  I'm nervous about what changes have transpired since then and how they might affect me.  I guess I just have to jump in the deep end...and sink or swim!

Thanks for your input. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

You set your own opening price for auctions. EBay stupidly encourages naive newbies to start low and get 'auction action'. Hah! Not for over a decade.

Start your magnets at the price you want to get. Use the Free Auctions as much as possible. Did you know that you can get another 50 Free Auctions by posting them on eBaydotCOM as well as your 50 on eBaydotCA?

Are you in the UK still? The biggest problem sellers face with the 50 /50 scheme is that while we can use Calculated Shipping for dotCA we must use Flat Rate shipping for dotCOM. If you are mailing from the UK, you would be using Flat Rate shipping in any case.

I got hit with the 21Day hold when I revived an old ID a couple of years back. So, yeah. Count on it. The money does come through. It's a Buyer Protection policy and if you read the sad tales on the Buyer Board you will understand it.

I've done etsy and did find it a pain, mostly because of a vigilante who didn't understand the concept of 'vintage book'. Most of my titles are 20th century. It don't think she'd noticed the millenium had come and gone. Sales were lousy anyway. Never thought of postcards there.

Watch the fees for a Store carefully. The conventional wisdom is that a Store is not economical until you have at least 54 unique items listed. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

So much food for thought.  Thank you so much.

No, not in the UK now.  I'm in Canada.

Re: auction advice.  Happy for that.  Will give it a try.  Also will try .com too for more '50 freebies.'

Re: Etsy.  I  don't sell post cards there, but did sell a few on eBaydotca last year.  I'd like to again but haven't been able to get my hands on any good job lots for a long time.  Did well when in the UK on eBay UK with post cards.  Wish I could find some more.

Right now, just making magnets.  I have done well with them for years at craft shops and in retail stores but not able to lug stuff to craft fairs any more so online is my new route to try.

I've decide to put the eBay shop idea on the back burner for now.  Just listed 3 magnets to give it a try.  I have a lot more magnet designs to get done and printed so am busy enough.

Can you elaborate re: 'at least 54 unique items'.  ALL of my items are magnets but all are unique, if that makes any sense.  I have about 140 now but another 250 or so in the process.  Would what I have be considered 'unique' enough to be successful with a shop, do you think?

I think it's best for me to plug along listing now without a shop for awhile.  And look at that option later.  There are lots of little...and big...things to learn and I appreciate your help.

Thank you

Sydney

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Not unique as in special.....Unique as in enough stock to make up 54 listings.

But..that number is from a while ago when all sellers paid a listing fee but store sellers paid less. If you had 54 items to list and saved .15 per listing in fees per month, that would pay for the store fees and could make it worthwhile to have a store.

The situation is totally different now so there really isn't any formula...it depends on each seller's situation. Non store sellers in certain categories get 50 free fixed price listings per month but other categories only have a certain number of free auctions per month. Some categories pay a 5 cent listing fee whether they have a store or not. Some pay 10% fvf if they don't have a store and 9% if they do but some pay just 6% if they have a store. There are too many variables to have one answer that fits all.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply