To store or not to store?

I have been thinking about opening a store, but I really can't figure out what the benefits are to me personally, as a seller who has about 10-12 items for sale at any given time. I like the idea of being able to put a store on vacation mode, but other than that, is there any other advantages or conveniences? Would I save enough on final value fees to make the monthly cost worth it? Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Non-store FVF is 10%.

Store FVF is 4 to 9% depending on catagory. You seem to be in the 9% for your items. So you save 1%.

Store monthly rates are $19.99 for monthly, no year contract or 15.99 for monthly with contract. I would go non-contract because there are penalties for closing the contract. At least for the first few months.

To pay for the $19.99 store fee by the 1% saving on FVF, your need $1999 in monthly sales.

Your items sell in the $100 to $300 range so how many sales do you make in the month on average.

One thing to remember is that every sale saves 1% so every sales helps pay for the store monthly fee. If you make $500 in sales, you saved $5 towards the monthly fee. If you make $1000 in sales, you saved $10 towards the monthly fee. And so on. The monthly store fee is offset by every sale resulting in the monthly fee not being the full $19.99 even if you do not get it fully paid for by the 1%, you get the other benefits of the store (vacation setting, markdown manager and so on) at lower net cost.

With the basic store, you get 150 free listing (on both eBay.ca and eBay.com for 300 listings). More than what you need since you said you list at 10-15 items per month. But you can try some listing experiments with duration. Instead of listing fixed price 30 days, list at Fixed Price 5 or 7 or 10 days having your listings start and end several times a month.  You get the benefits of search boost for new listings and ending listing. Also, buyers searching by new listed or ending soon will see your items more. Also the pressure on a buyer for a listing ending soon to buy before the listing ends might influence a buyer.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Non-store FVF is 10%.

Store FVF is 4 to 9% depending on catagory. You seem to be in the 9% for your items. So you save 1%.

Store monthly rates are $19.99 for monthly, no year contract or 15.99 for monthly with contract. I would go non-contract because there are penalties for closing the contract. At least for the first few months.

To pay for the $19.99 store fee by the 1% saving on FVF, your need $1999 in monthly sales.

Your items sell in the $100 to $300 range so how many sales do you make in the month on average.

One thing to remember is that every sale saves 1% so every sales helps pay for the store monthly fee. If you make $500 in sales, you saved $5 towards the monthly fee. If you make $1000 in sales, you saved $10 towards the monthly fee. And so on. The monthly store fee is offset by every sale resulting in the monthly fee not being the full $19.99 even if you do not get it fully paid for by the 1%, you get the other benefits of the store (vacation setting, markdown manager and so on) at lower net cost.

With the basic store, you get 150 free listing (on both eBay.ca and eBay.com for 300 listings). More than what you need since you said you list at 10-15 items per month. But you can try some listing experiments with duration. Instead of listing fixed price 30 days, list at Fixed Price 5 or 7 or 10 days having your listings start and end several times a month.  You get the benefits of search boost for new listings and ending listing. Also, buyers searching by new listed or ending soon will see your items more. Also the pressure on a buyer for a listing ending soon to buy before the listing ends might influence a buyer.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thanks .......been considering this option .

Message 3 of 3
latest reply