What is your strategy of having a sale?

I have a couple of sales per month and it has worked very well but there is always room for improvement.  On some of the slower items, I use 20% and for the others 15% or 10%. I do find that towards the end of the sale, I get lots of sales so it might be better to have shorter sales ending on a Sunday.  Now I can't offer too much more than that as most of my items are under $10 CDN and many have free shipping.  I also get sales when things are not on sale too.  A sale for me just brings in more sales.   I see some sellers who jack up the price really high and then offer 50% off, kinda like Sears does.  

I am interested in if you have sales and what your strategy is and does it work for you?  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I do find that towards the end of the sale, I get lots of sales

Yep.

I've noticed that I sell items that are about to end or just renewed regularly enough that those Searches  seem to be popular.

There are after all, 'About to end" and "Just listed" Searches.

And those apply to Good Til Cancelled listings, which end and renew automatically every 30 days.

I don't think there is a "reduced price" search.

So the question becomes, would those items have sold without the price reductions?

I guess you'd have to compare them to the total price of identical items.

My listings, after the changes we all underwent last year, and my personal store closure in 2014, are not past the 16 month listing yet, but we were getting notice when long standing listings went past that point.

I found it useful to adjust listings when they hit the 16 month stale date.

DH has always been of the opinion that sales don't increase sales, they just decrease income.

Do you buy stuff you don't want because it is on sale?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Do you buy stuff you don't want because it is on sale?

I have lots of stuff around the house, in my closet and purchased it not because I needed it or necessarily wanted it, it was a good deal so I couldn't pass it up.   Ever been to a book sale and purchased lots of books you don't have time to read, just because it was a good deal.  

I didn't know about the 16 month rule.  I am constantly tweaking my listings so would that 16 month rule apply or only to ones that you haven't touched.  I review prices, shipping amounts, etc. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I think it only applies to untouched listings.

My strategy is to list and ignore.

It's 'time is money' -- unless my time is likely to turn into money, I'd rather be watching Firefly  because: Firefly, man, Firefly.

Well, maybe I'm not a fancy gentleman like you, with your... very fine hat. But I do business. We're here for business.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Never put your prices down, if you change anything, put the price up.

It really doesn't matter, if the customer wants it, they will pay what you ask for.

If the price is too low, they might think there is something wrong with it.

Then there is that ever faithful ploy of using snob appeal.

Rich folks don't want it unless they can brag they had the money to buy it at a ridiculous price. 

I did have some what of a sale strategy.

If the free shipping listings do not sell, I leave them the same price after Canada Post puts their rates up. 😄

That's in the past. 

All new items that fit through the gauge now have fix rates for Canadian's and light packet rate for international sales.

Makes more sense bottom line wise. 

Some items take years to sell. I'm still listing items from 10 years ago I have duplicates of. They will eventually sell, it's a matter of patience. Since every year there are thousands of new people getting on line, turning 18 etc. that new customer might be looking for your treasure tomorrow.

I can see your point of buying stuff you don't need just because it was a good price, but that reality show, Horders, is slowly weaning folks away from over consuming. 

Good til canceled is evil.

I noticed the notice from eBay after they sat there for a while. Ebay wanted me to lower my price? 

The problem is, GTC  listings do not show up in, "newly listed."

Your best chance of making a sale is newly listed and the last day. With good til canceled you are losing 50% of your sweet spots.

Really nice stamps, I'm very tempted to plug in my remote video drive and watch Firefly now but I think I need to wait another year since most of it is still stuck in my memory banks. 

Time is money, and I don't work for eBay, Paypal or Canada Post more than I have to. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 6
latest reply