2013 Spring Seller Update

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

Discuss the 2013 Spring Seller Updates here!

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/ca/201303191308082.html

-- Edited by raphael@ebay.com at Mar 19, 2013 3:01 PM EDT
eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page.
Message 1 of 159
latest reply
158 REPLIES 158

tobyshitzu
Community Member

are the non store free listing counts still .ca & .com separately for us?

Message 2 of 159
latest reply

"Beginning in May, eligible fixed price listings and auction-style listings purchased with Buy It Now will remain for sale until a buyer has paid for the item."

OK - let's read that very very sloooooowly.

Does that mean that if a buyer purchases an item at the office in the morning and waits until he gets home that night to pay through PayPal (he does not want to use PayPal at the office) he may in fact lose the item to another eBay buyer who would purchase the item and pay immediately?

Really?

How would that add to buyer's satisfaction?

Message 3 of 159
latest reply

"If you provide your buyers with instructions for receiving shipping discounts, update your listings with messaging to direct eBay.com buyers to add all items they want to purchase from you to their eBay Shopping Cart"

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2013/unpaiditems.html 

How does a Canadian seller know if a buyer (could be Canadian or not) is purchasing an item on eBay.com when the item is listed on eBay.ca - where there is no shopping cart - and offering shipping to the USA or worldwide?

Mind reading, maybe?

Message 4 of 159
latest reply

Does that mean that if a buyer purchases an item at the office in the morning and waits until he gets home that night to pay through PayPal (he does not want to use PayPal at the office) he may in fact lose the item to another eBay buyer who would purchase the item and pay immediately?

Really?

How would that add to buyer's satisfaction?

Hello pierrelebel,

This rule is a seller protection measure rather than something aiming at raising buyer satisfaction. This change will better align with real-world commerce and most other e-commerce models, where nothing is said and done until a payment is made. This will lower the rate of unpaid items and allow seller to not lose sales by not making the listing disappear from the site when a buyer clicks Buy It Now.

So, to answer your question, yes, a buyer could miss buying an item until they make a payment. This only rolls out to specific categories and there are criteria to make items eligible for this rule though, please make sure to review them.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 159
latest reply

"When will I be able to file unpaid item cases 2 days sooner for items listed on eBay.ca?

We are planning on adding these changes to eBay.ca in 2014."

Are you telling Canadian sellers they should list on eBay.com instead of eBay.ca if they want to have the ability of filing unpaid cases within two days?

Why the one year delay?

Message 6 of 159
latest reply

are the non store free listing counts still .ca & .com separately for us?

Hi tobyshitzu,

That is correct.

Message 7 of 159
latest reply

Hello CA Sellers,

Just letting you know I'll be on & off this discussion thread today, will try to answer as many questions on the 2013 Spring Seller Update as possible. Please bear with me and the other Pinks if they jump in, and remember that we have our weekly Board Hour tomorrow if your question gets missed.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 159
latest reply

"yes, a buyer could miss buying an item until they make a payment"

It has been many years since I have use the word STUPID for a new eBay policy.

This is one such instance.  The change of policy is ill conceived and totally STUPID.

I expect the policy will be quickly recinded once millions of complaints come to eBay Head Office from buyers totally upset with not getting an item they purchased freely.

The "immediate payment required" option did the job for sellers in urgent need of receiving payment.. That change was not required

If sellers are willing to wait 2, 4, 7 or whatever number of days for payment from the buyer (many still pay by mail), eBay should NOT automatically override that policy.

Message 9 of 159
latest reply

"If you provide your buyers with instructions for receiving shipping discounts, update your listings with messaging to direct eBay.com buyers to add all items they want to purchase from you to their eBay Shopping Cart"

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2013/unpaiditems.html 

How does a Canadian seller know if a buyer (could be Canadian or not) is purchasing an item on eBay.com when the item is listed on eBay.ca - where there is no shopping cart - and offering shipping to the USA or worldwide?

Mind reading, maybe?

This Take Action item is for those sellers who already have messaging on their listings about what buyers need to do to get shipping discounts or combined shipping. Buyers on eBay.com will need to use Cart under the new Unpaid Item protection, which is why we recommend warning those buyers in your listings, if applicable.

Message 10 of 159
latest reply

Some of the links in your first email are not functioning properly

Message 11 of 159
latest reply

This is what I am getting:

This page may have moved or is no longer available. Please try one of the following:Check the Web address you entered to make sure if it's correct. Try to access the page directly from the eBay Home page instead of using a bookmark. If the page has moved, reset your bookmark. Enter keywor...Report this technical issue or view known technical issues.

Message 12 of 159
latest reply

This is one such instance.  The change of policy is ill conceived and totally STUPID.

What Pierrie said - boy I could not agree more - STUPID & DUMB.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 14 of 159
latest reply

Some of the links in your first email are not functioning properly

Thanks for the heads up! We are fixing that right now.

Message 15 of 159
latest reply

I expect the policy will be quickly recinded once millions of complaints come to eBay Head Office from buyers totally upset with not getting an item they purchased freely.

The "immediate payment required" option did the job for sellers in urgent need of receiving payment.. That change was not required

If sellers are willing to wait 2, 4, 7 or whatever number of days for payment from the buyer (many still pay by mail), eBay should NOT automatically override that policy.

I thin it should have been a policy put into effect let's say after the buyer doesn't pay within 24hrs.

Message 16 of 159
latest reply

Add-To-Cart feature is currently only available for US based items on ebay.com, are you planning to add it also to ebay.ca and for Canadian items ?

What will be difference between Add To Cart and new 2013 Buy Now where item is not sold until paid ? Isn't one of them becoming redundant ?

Message 17 of 159
latest reply

Well, my fees are going down. I don't give a rat's azz about policy and never have.

Throwing us store owners a bone. I like that.

Please re-commence the biatching and "Not fair "What about me?" "I WANT".

Message 18 of 159
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Mine are going up.  Even worse, larger media competitors who havent been able to live off the 50 free and promos are the big winners in this with a 4% fvf decrease and no listing increase

Don't like the "30% higher BIN" for auctions, might as well just eliminate the option as thats near useless

Higher item price sellers are getting killed with the new fvf

Small volume electronic sellers really getting hit.   I sell a few game systems and phones at fp without a store.  One or 2 a month would  pay for the store with the large non store fvf increase

Message 19 of 159
latest reply

FVF have increased to 10% and it is a flat fee - it does not decrease after a set amount. What a rip off.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 20 of 159
latest reply