2012 Fall Seller Update

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

Discuss changes announced during the 2012 Fall Seller Update here!

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/ca/201207.shtml#2012-07-24112136

eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page.
Message 1 of 147
latest reply
146 REPLIES 146

2012 Fall Seller Update

Hello,

when is Ebay going to drop or change the wording on the dsr system for shipping and handling charges?  No one thinks ANY shipping charge is reasonable.  I include a Canada Post shipping guide marked with a $1.00 handling fee with each package that goes out without actual stamps and my shipping is noted in my listings so no one gets a nasty surprise and STILL I get a low mark for shipping/handling.  Also, shipping time- it should really be processing or handling time- once it is out of our hands we have no control on how long the post office takes to deliver an item.

Message 2 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

The Item Condition new "comment" field to be added under the listing Title. The image in the Seller Release questions is small and out of focus due to compression.

Is there a better larger image somewhere to get a good look at the feature? 

Message 3 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

When is eBay.ca going to implement the new photo gallery system that eBay.com has had for months now? That is the new Zoom and Enlarge.

Message 4 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

also we were advised that the listings would say something about customs charges.  So far I have only seen the comment that shipping is higher for international.  There does not seem to be any comment anywhere regarding customs and duty to be the responsibility of the buyer.

Message 5 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

About this point: Ending Auction-style listings early. Ending an Auction-style listing once it has a bid leads to disappointed shoppers who may be less inclined to bid on auctions the next time around. Starting October 1, a fee will be charged for ending an Auction-style listing early.

I use this option (end item early) in order to sell the item to a specific buyer.. For example, the buyer bought from me a set of dishes.. but he also wants to include a couple more items (for one time invoice and shipping).

I want to make a suggestion for eBay.. I think the seller should be able to send an offer to one (specific) buyer (without listing it for everyone).

If item ended without bids, but the potential buyer contacted the seller with something like "sorry, I missed the item. Could you please relist it for me, price is ok".. In this case, I think it's fair to everyone if the seller offers the item for One buyer within 48 hrs? Or, if the buyer bought 5 items but he wants 1 more..which ends in 5 days (but he wants it NOW) - I think the seller instead of ending the item early.. should have the possibility to send an offer (with regular final fee charge)?

Otherwise, now..what you offer is a Double charge? Final fee + fee for ending the item early?

Message 6 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

I'm a bit confused about the original post in this thread. It mentions discussing  fall update changes but also says that the poster...Community Guide...will not engage in conversation or offer advice. Sooo...does that mean that questions about the update are not going to answered in this thread?

Message 7 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

I saw the signature also and was wondering about that. It seems like this is a member to member thread so far with no pinks.

Very silly if it is eBayers only and no pinks.

Message 8 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

I'm a bit confused about the original post in this thread. It mentions discussing  fall update changes but also says that the poster...Community Guide...will not engage in conversation or offer advice. Sooo...does that mean that questions about the update are not going to answered in this thread?

Hi pjcdn2005,

We are answering your questions regarding the 'Fall Seller Update'. Did you have a specific question regarding this update?

Message 9 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

About this point: Ending Auction-style listings early. Ending an Auction-style listing once it has a bid leads to disappointed shoppers who may be less inclined to bid on auctions the next time around. Starting October 1, a fee will be charged for ending an Auction-style listing early.

I use this option (end item early) in order to sell the item to a specific buyer.. For example, the buyer bought from me a set of dishes.. but he also wants to include a couple more items (for one time invoice and shipping).

I want to make a suggestion for eBay.. I think the seller should be able to send an offer to one (specific) buyer (without listing it for everyone).

If item ended without bids, but the potential buyer contacted the seller with something like "sorry, I missed the item. Could you please relist it for me, price is ok".. In this case, I think it's fair to everyone if the seller offers the item for One buyer within 48 hrs? Or, if the buyer bought 5 items but he wants 1 more..which ends in 5 days (but he wants it NOW) - I think the seller instead of ending the item early.. should have the possibility to send an offer (with regular final fee charge)?

Otherwise, now..what you offer is a Double charge? Final fee + fee for ending the item early?

Hello haberdine,

There won't be any additional charges if you end a listing early in order to sell to the highest bidder. This is something that is already allowed. The only situation where an early-end fee will be charged is if the item doesn't actually get sold. There are rules around that, but this summarizes the new rule in a nutshell.

To comment on your suggestion, there are ways already in place for you to do that. If a buyer missed your auction and you agreed to relist just for them, there is about a 6 hour window between the time you relist and the time it takes for the system to index your new listing and make it visible in search results. This would allow your buyer to bid on the newly-relisted item before anyone else can see it if you provide them with the item number as soon as you have it. If your buyer needed more time, for example 48 hours as you stated in your example, you could always cancel any other bids before ending the listing and sell to the buyer of your choice.

Message 10 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

When is eBay.ca going to implement the new photo gallery system that eBay.com has had for months now? That is the new Zoom and Enlarge.

Thanks for your question pocomocomputing,

We are very excited about this feature enhasement and are glad you noticed 🙂

We are working on this change and hope to release it in the near future on eBay.ca.

Message 11 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

Questions about CONDITION notes:

1. Will this be mandatory? and if so, when?

2. I sell mostly used books, and in the description area of the listing, I have my own  detailed "condition" description.

Does this new requirement mean I have to copy my "condtion" information for each listing to this new CONDITION field? (Sheesh, more work).

Also, does it mean I will have to delete the "condition" information within my listing if I do use the new CONDITION field (since it will be duplicate info essentially)?

3. Currently, at least for books (I am not familiar with other categories), the Item Specifics area has ebay's standard condition definitions (Brand New, Like New, Very Good, Good, Acceptable.. Will these still appear in addition to the new CONDITION field?

Message 12 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

Thanks Bryan,I do have a question.

In the last update we were told that because tracked shipping to the U.S. is so high in Canada that Canadian sellers did not have to upload tracking for 90% of their U.S. buyers in order to keep TRS status but then we would not receive the highest best match search benefits. But we were also told that if we uploaded the Canada Post small and light packet "tracking" numbers (which are actually invoice numbers, not tracking numbers) we could achieve the 90% that way and then receive a higher search rating.

Well we still be able to use those CP "tracking" numbers to achieve the 90% and receive the TRS Plus icon?

Message 13 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

also we were advised that the listings would say something about customs charges.  So far I have only seen the comment that shipping is higher for international.  There does not seem to be any comment anywhere regarding customs and duty to be the responsibility of the buyer.

It's there (sort of ) although it seems to be written differently for Canadian sellers versus U.S. sellers.

If I change my location to the U.S. and look at one of your listings on .com or .ca, I see the following next to shipping (between price and delivery info)

See details about international shipping here.

You have to click on the help icon next to that in order to see a disclaimer.

If I look at a U.S. seller's listing on .com or .ca, I see:

International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges

It doesn't seem to matter if the listing was originally done on .ca or .com...the first example is always shown for Canadian sellers

Message 14 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

abc_3
Community Member

RE:  Star/Feedback of Sellers

I have very good feedback and ratings as a seller except in the area of shipping and shipping time.  I feel that I am at a huge disadvantage when dealing with customs and borders.  It doesn't matter how clearly I state in my ad that I have no control over custom wait times or if my package makes it within the time I've alloted in my ad I am still receiving hassles in the star and feedback for those packages.  I am seriously considering not selling to Canadian addresses anymore unless Ebay can address this which is a shame as I feel I am a good seller and will accommodate my buyers anyway I can.  I have recently received an email from Ebay saying they are limiting my account based on the above, however, if they look at my other ratings they are glowing.  I think Ebay needs to consider if they want to keep sellers like that or not.  🙂

Message 15 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

thanks for the info, I had been looking in the main body, I didn't realize I had to click on a little question mark on listings that I purchased from overseas....now who is going to do all that work? it should be right up front...

Message 16 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

ITEM LOCATION INFORMATION

Like many Canadian sellers, I am close to the border, and ship to the US and international buyers via USPS.

What I do at the moment for item location is use "Ontario/Michigan Border" as my location.

I list on ebay.com not ebay.ca

How can I manage the new requirement to specify Zip Code -

I want my buyers to know that I ship from the US

(IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR BUYERS!)

Will it be allowed for me to  use the Zip Code for my US Post Office?

Message 17 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

Questions about CONDITION notes:

1. Will this be mandatory? and if so, when?

2. I sell mostly used books, and in the description area of the listing, I have my own  detailed "condition" description.

Does this new requirement mean I have to copy my "condtion" information for each listing to this new CONDITION field? (Sheesh, more work).

Also, does it mean I will have to delete the "condition" information within my listing if I do use the new CONDITION field (since it will be duplicate info essentially)?

3. Currently, at least for books (I am not familiar with other categories), the Item Specifics area has ebay's standard condition definitions (Brand New, Like New, Very Good, Good, Acceptable.. Will these still appear in addition to the new CONDITION field?

Hello ottokitty,

1. The new Item Condition field will not be mandatory but will definitely help generate sales.

2. You would indeed have to populate the new Item Condition field yourself as you create your listing. However, it isn't intended to replace whatever you are already including in your description. The new field is meant to provide the seller's most important notes about the item condition and display these notes right at the top of the listing page so the buyer doesn't have to scroll down the page. Additionally, that Item Condition data will be more easily integrated in the different Mobile channels than the item description can ever be.

3. No. The new Item Condition field is 100% user-generated and will complement the already existing Item Specifics.

Message 18 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

Thanks Bryan,I do have a question.

In the last update we were told that because tracked shipping to the U.S. is so high in Canada that Canadian sellers did not have to upload tracking for 90% of their U.S. buyers in order to keep TRS status but then we would not receive the highest best match search benefits. But we were also told that if we uploaded the Canada Post small and light packet "tracking" numbers (which are actually invoice numbers, not tracking numbers) we could achieve the 90% that way and then receive a higher search rating.

Well we still be able to use those CP "tracking" numbers to achieve the 90% and receive the TRS Plus icon?

Hi pjcdn2005,

Yes, you still can use the Canada Post tracking numbers. Remember: You will still need to upload the tracking codes for 90% of your sales to US buyers (& offer one day handling and 14 days return) to receive the seal logo on your listings.

"eBay remains committed to delivering buyers the best shopping experience. That experience includes confirmation their order has been shipped and receiving tracking information. At the July 20 seller performance evaluation (and in each evaluation after that), to benefit from the maximum boost in search results rankings on eBay.com, you will need to upload tracking within your stated handling time on 90% of US transactions."

Message 19 of 147
latest reply

2012 Fall Seller Update

ITEM LOCATION INFORMATION

Like many Canadian sellers, I am close to the border, and ship to the US and international buyers via USPS.

What I do at the moment for item location is use "Ontario/Michigan Border" as my location.

I list on ebay.com not ebay.ca

How can I manage the new requirement to specify Zip Code -

I want my buyers to know that I ship from the US

(IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR BUYERS!)

Will it be allowed for me to  use the Zip Code for my US Post Office?

It will be encouraged to use the postal or zip code for the location where the item ships out of rather than where you are yourself located. In your case, that would be your US Post Office zip code.

Message 20 of 147
latest reply