25 Percent off Expedited Shipping

Hey I found this information posted on Ebay.

Does everyone else get 25 percent off Expedited Shipping?

When You Print Shipping Labels on eBay and PayPal, you enjoy:Valuable Shipping Discounts Save up to 50% off UPS shipping rates* Save 25% on Canada Post domestic shipments via Expedited Parcelâ"¢**. Save 25% on Canada Post US shipments via Expedited Parcelâ"¢-USA** Save 8% on Canada Post domestic shipments via Xpresspostâ"¢ and Regular Parcel*** Save 9% on Canada Post U.S. shipments via Xpresspostâ"¢-U.S.A. and international shipments via Xpresspostâ"¢-International***

Please let me know

I am going over my past payments and dont recall 25 percent off.

laidlawgifts

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Yes.

PayPal Shipping for Expedited Parcel at 25% off is one benefit of ebay.ca and PayPal.

The actual discount is closer to 21% because of the way it is calculated.

It came into effect 2-3 years ago.

One other advantage is that you get the 25% discount not just for eBay sales.  You can use it for personal packages or other selling sites.

Use the following link (gets redirected on the PayPal site to a more complicated URL)

www.paypal.ca/shipnow

and then fill in the shipping details.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

You will not find any indication of a 25% discount on your past bills. It is done automatically if you used PayPal shipping labels for Expedited parcel.  You will see on the second display screen when making a PayPal label the discount deducted in the top right. Nothing shows on the PayPal invoice for shipping label from Canada Post.

So if you used PayPal shipping labels in the past for Expedited Parcel, you got the discount.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

When you say the actual discount is 21 vs 25 percent, why are they quoting 25 percent in their advertising?  lol

Wow, actual cost for a item over 500 grams to the US was 15.56 cents and that was with a 25 or 21 percent discount?   I just mailed a double wall mug and was shocked at the costs.

Canada Post Small Packets - USA - Air  ... I should have checked Expedited and maybe mailed it for less.  Going to check now but I assumed Small Packet Air would be the cheapest shipping.

Service Type:
USA Air Small Packets (4 - 10 business days) Weight:
0.65 kg. Dimensions:
23 X 15 X 15 cm

I

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Hmmm sucks

And it wasnt 25 percent discount for Expedited ;(

Small Business Rate: $19.24 CAD Additional Discount: -$3.89 CAD Sub Total: $15.35 CAD Total Shipping Cost: $15.35 CAD

So the same cost to me ;(

Which is completely unrealistic and will only get me bad feedback and

outrageous final value fees or commissions from Ebay for the shipping costs.

Btw, I lost money on this sale after Ebay commissions 😞

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I have always used Paypal shipping.

I am now going over some of my past shipping to see if its the 25 percent discount

that they advertise. 

Using that site I was given

www.paypal.ca/shipnow  

Thanks so much for that link 🙂

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Can't answer that question of 21% versus 25%.

It is supposed to 25% off over the counter rates.

Is it on the EP rate before the fuel surcharge? After the fuel surcharge?

Rule of thumb is that it works out to about 20-21% when you compare the Canada Post Find a Rate calculator to the actual PayPal rate charged for EP.

I do consider the 25% off to be a marketing fib but somewhere they can probably prove it to be 25%. I asked a few times how the 25% is applied from eBay Canada and the question was never answered.

As for 1 kg packages, EP USA will be cheaper (about $14) than SP Air USA if the distance is close to you and more expensive ($16-$17) if farther away.

One thing to know is that Expedited Parcel uses Dimensional Weight. The higher of DW or the actual weight is used for the shipping cost rate.

Dimensional Weight is calculated as follows

DW = L (cm) x W (cm) x H (cm) / 6000

So a 1 kg packaged item that is bulky will have a DW of maybe 1.5 or 2 kg or even 3 kg and that will be charged for EP.

SP has no dimensional weight and you can ship the 1 kg package as long as it is under L + W + H ,= 90 cm (L max is 60 cm).

Since you are in the Toronto area, look into Chitchat's Express (Google search it) to ship using USPS rates. They truck parcels to the USA to ship by USPS and charge a small fee per package. They have two locations now in the Toronto area. Cheaper than Canada Post.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

To mail such a small package being over 15 dollars... I cant see any way to

be competitive on the www *sigh* 

That Chitchat's Express looks great but I make a few sales a day and

am located in the east end.. Pickering.  The gas to take the parcels there

each day would be more than the savings 😞   A shame I cant use it.

I am in the process to see if I can even be competitive for online sales

AND make a profit *sigh*

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Small packet Air and Expedited were the same cost for this item 😞

Dimensional weight versus actual weight didnt help in this case.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

You should call Chitchat to find out more.  They say on the web site that there is a $10 pickup charge. Consolidate sales over 2-3 days and have them pickup twice a week?. Maybe they already have a pickup route in you area.

At least you know there is an option if sales pick up. Then again, Maybe sales would pickup if the shipping costs were lower.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Good idea... I will call on monday.

Although that will contradict my 1 day shipping that Ebay says to offer in order

to get listed better... lol

I ship every day at this point.

I will have to figure out how to calculate shipping costs, my guess is I cant use calculated shipping for the customer to see it automatically.   I am guessing if they dont see a shipping cost, they may move on to the next seller?  I hope not 🙂

Thank you for your patience with me

Nancy

laidlawgifts

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Also, I am starting to send this generic message to every buyer.

Hello

Just a follow up email I send to customers.

If you find the shipping costs were high for your item,

please go to

www.canadapost.ca

Click on the Business link (instead of using Personal)

It is orange button in top right hand area.

Under Rates & Prices, there is a choice Find a Rate

My postal code is L1W 4B5

The info for your package was

23 x 16 x 16 cm

.65 kg

Please do not leave me a low rating for shipping costs.

I cannot control the fees that Canada Post charge and also

Ebay adds 11 to 15 percent commission fee on the shipping costs

as well.

I am not making money on the S&H fees when selling on Ebay.

Please take that into account when leaving me feedback

Thank you so much

Nancy

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

You've got great stuff listed, Nancy; browsing was fun; but as a buyer, I really dislike disclaimers and notations such as you just posted.  The troublesome buyers will disregard that added info, and the rest don't need it, nor ( quite possibly) want it.

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Regarding all the information I give.

When I look at the sellers with alot of sales... MOST have all that info.

So I thought it was a sign that people wanted to make informed decisions.

I give them options to chose from and the shipping times available.

Dont people want to know how long the package will take to get to them?

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

OH btw almond...

I do agree I have fun stuff...

but let me ask you... would you buy it with the shipping costs you saw?  🙂

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

Nancy I was not referring to shipping times, etc., I was referring to disclaimers about eBay fees and what constitutes a seller's overhead, etc.   On the board here, I am a sympathetic bystander, friend of the seller, and i CARE about your difficulties as a seller, etc., but 'Off the Board' as someone ( anyone) wanting to make a purchase, the only part that I am interested in is how the price relates to me as the BUYER  and not how the price is in relation to the seller's overhead, or what ebay's / Paypal's commission is..

And that is how the average bidder/buyer sees things when they look at your listings.  They won't be sympathetic to your plight of low  profit margins. 

Unfortunately, it's business, nothing personal, when a stranger views your listings.  There is not much empathy.

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

If I take out the Ebay commissions and just leave in the actual shipping costs,

then that would be acceptable?

They can check to see what they are being charged for shipping is what my

I am charging them?   

I feel they ARE interested in that, yes?

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

I very seldom have a problem with shipping costs, as long as they're not exorbitant and out of line and I fully understand that the price of the item has no bearing on the cost of the shipping!

I am willing to pay the price, if I want something, and knowing what costs are, yours aren't out of line.  

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Wow really?

I get alot of emails about the cost of shipping

and my DSR is low about cost of shipping.

Even in my view, the costs are too high... lol

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

I  only have to imagine what it would cost me to acquire a particular item that I can't get locally; gas, time, effort finding the item in the first place, crowded stores and line-ups...the list goes on. I figure it's quite a bargain to push a few buttons and a purchase something, and for what..$10 - $ 15 or whatever, that hard-to -find item appears in my little hands in mere days.  

I couldn't access it myself for probably 3 times that amount.  So no, I am not a postage complainer.  I am thankful someone else is willing to do all the legwork and all I have to do is push those buttons and add on a 'finders' fee' ( shipping cost)

( obviously I object to 'gouging', but that's not the issue here)

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 20 of 23
latest reply