Anyone else feeling in limbo right now?

Sitting here trying to decide what to do.

Have listed in USD for years on .ca.

I've never done the "double dip" into the world of .com...I guess I was just sticking with what I "knew" on .ca

Now my hand is forced with .ca move for June....so what do I do?

Do I: Completely change over all of my listings on .ca to CDN dollars and just hope the business maintains all across the board ie. USA/INT sales....

Do I: List in CDN on .ca & .com in USD for the first time....but what model do I use. I've never thought about "separating" my stock or how I'd do it OR if I even want to do it....

Do I: Completely migrate over .com and continue in USD....

I know I have to make a decision but It's going to be a change to my business model....anyone willing to lend me their crystal ball 😉

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Anyone else feeling in limbo right now?

I started listing select categories on .com.  It is not easy.  It is a lot of cut and paste.  

Why not wait until they have the migration tool ready?

Hi, moving the listings over to .com was done last year, 2015,  I list on both.ca and .com.   I wasn't planning on moving .ca listings over to .com unless the Canadian $ listings don't work for me.  I will give it a few months, then I will make my decision.  So far on the 33 listed in Canadian $, hardly any lookers even though I reduced all the prices.  

And if it doesn't work, maybe it is time to get out of the resale business. 

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

Hi Femme

So for your example if you change listing currency to $C, the shipping currency will also change to $C and will show 10.30 on Paypal?

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

My big question is still whether Fixed Price/Good Til Cancelled listings in USD on dotCA will still be in USD when the change rolls in.

Your gtc listings will keep rolling over under August and then they will go into unsold items.  Even though the Cdn $ rule starts in June, gtc listings have a 2 month grace period.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Femme

So for your example if you change listing currency to $C, the shipping currency will also change to $C and will show 10.30 on Paypal?

I'm not sure if this answers your question...

If you were using calculated shipping and changed the currency from U.S. to Canadian,  the calculator would automatically show the amount in Canadian...no adjustments needed. The calculated shipping amount always shows in $C on Paypal whether the listing was in U.S. or Cdn.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

I too am feeling a little uncertain. I just opened a basic store & get 200 + 100 free listings on each site. Wondering if that will continue.

when they had a promo in CDN $ a while ago I switched a number of items & left them so I have listings in each currency although majority is  USD. I think what I will do is where I don't need the shipping calculator will continue to list in USD on .com. If I need the shipping calculator I will list on .ca in CDN $. 

My paypal acct is USD although when I sell in CDN it shows a CDN & a USD balance. The bank acct it is tied to is in a US bank (I live near the US border).

I realize that we were the only site that could list in a currency other than our own.  I think that our proximity to the states was likely the reason. For most of us I think the US is our biggest market. Canadian sellers have some disadvantages most especially our shipping costs. Would have been nice if we could have maintained our small advantage of choice of currency. Having said that & not being happy about the change I think I can work around it. Time will tell what is going to work the best.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

I too am feeling a little uncertain. I just opened a basic store & get 200 + 100 free listings on each site. Wondering if that will continue.

The reps said that there are no plans on changing the ability to get free listings on both sites.  Obviously that could change in the future but I don't think it will for a while.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Thanks PJ. That is good to know.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply