April 15th 2015 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers!

This is the thread for our weekly chat. Please start posting at your convenience, we will see you at 1 PM Eastern as usual.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

That does not give a summary, only 1 area if i read correctly.

Does no one test anything any more prior to implementation?

Why could they not have moved it as it was? Obviously someone changed it and did not look or test!

These idiotic needless problems are really getting buyers and sellers very upset

Could you please be more specific? If you select Selling Manager Summary as your My eBay homepage, you can actually edit that page 100% to your liking with whatever selling-related modules right at the top.

Why is Square Trade Deal showing in Additional Selling Resources in Selling Manager? Does not work.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"eBay.ca actually has an even better shopping cart that can combine any item listed on any eBay site in any currency. "

Really?  I could purchase two items from the same seller on eBay.uk, an item from eBay.au, three items from different Canadian sellers (some listed in US$, some in Cdn$) and four items each from two different American sellers (US$) and everything will combine in one currency (presumably Cdn$) in my shopping cart so I make only one payment.  Really?

Wow!  I am impressed. 

Hi Pierre,

Sorry but I think I oversimplified here. Of course, no eBay cart anywhere can combine payments in different currencies, this is actually a PayPal limitation which eBay cannot work around. What I meant to say is, the eBay.ca shopping cart can take any item from any eBay site listed in any currency. In order to checkout and pay for the order, the buyer will have to issue one PayPal payment for each currency in the shopping cart.

Thanks for keeping me honest 🙂

@pierrelebel wrote:
Why are there so many complaints by Canadian users about using the shopping cart?  I also vaguely recall you suggesting Canadian sellers should list on eBay.com (not eBay.ca) to avoid problems with the shopping cart.  Now I am confused (what else is new?) 

I think the main issue that Canadian sellers have with this whole thing is that most buyers are on eBay.com and that it's rare that one gets the opportunity to warn a .com buyer that they are better off buying on eBay.ca if they want more than one item from them.

When Canadian sellers who have a business model that is easily transferrable to eBay.com (example, they use flat rate shipping and offer small items that are easy to combine in one shipment), they can then create their listings on .com so that their items can be added to the shopping cart there.

Hope this helps!

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

Hi rose-dee,

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi Raphael, two questions today:

1)  I'd like to know if there is a way I can view my store home page through the eyes of a mobile user (I don't own a mobile, nor does anybody that I could reasonably ask to test this). 

Is there a URL that you could suggest that would give sellers a look at how their storefronts appear to mobile users?  Or how about checking my storefront and taking a screen shot?  Since I'm using the "old" store design, I'm sure that would be representative of what a lot of sellers would see. 

eBay doesn't have such a feature, but if you just search Google for a mobile browser emulator you should find plenty. Usually all you need to do is put in the URL you wish to see as mobile users do.

@rose-dee wrote:
2)  Has there been any further discussion or progress on the .com cart disconnect issue?  I'd especially like to know whether eBay HQ has given any indication of a change in their view on its priority.  Surely they must have noticed the recent eCommerce Bytes article?  That article made eBay sound embarrassingly incompetent in relation to other online selling venues.  

No updates on this. As before, I promise to give you any updates as they come on this.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:
I must be having a blond day because selling manager summary is totally different then Ebay summary and has totally different information. When you try to change, it appears you can only add and derlete areas. not move stuff around.

This is not what I want as I do use selling manager summary but for totally different things

You can move sections around in SM Summary by using the controls in the Edit menu for that section:

My_eBay_Selling_Manager_Summary.png

Another good option if you want your My eBay homepage to be about selling would be to set it to "All Selling", ie. not SM Summary if you use that one for something else.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

I think the main issue that Canadian sellers have with this whole thing is that most buyers are on eBay.com and that it's rare that one gets the opportunity to warn a .com buyer that they are better off buying on eBay.com if they want more than one item from them.

When Canadian sellers who have a business model that is easily transferrable to eBay.com (example, they use flat rate shipping and offer small items that are easy to combine in one shipment), they can then create their listings on .com so that their items can be added to the shopping cart there.

Sorry, but now I'm confused.  Didn't you mean to say, "warn .com buyer that they are better off buying on eBay.ca if they want more than 1 item"?

The whole crux of the matter is that buyers on .com are unable to easily purchase more than 1 item at a time.  If they go to eBay.ca, then they'll be using the functional .ca cart, correct?

The downside to directing .com customers to .ca is (as I've been told), that U.S. customers would not be able to use their eBay bucks.  This may be a consideration for some.

As far as listing on .com, it may seem an expedient and simple solution, but there are many important reasons for a Canadian seller to list on .ca (I enumerated these in a recent post, and I think the tally came to about 10 different advantages).  This is something Canadian sellers really need to be made aware of before jumping ship so blithely.  Additional sales may not be worth the serious trade-offs. 

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:
Sorry, but now I'm confused.  Didn't you mean to say, "warn .com buyer that they are better off buying on eBay.ca if they want more than 1 item"?

The whole crux of the matter is that buyers on .com are unable to easily purchase more than 1 item at a time.  If they go to eBay.ca, then they'll be using the functional .ca cart, correct?

Thanks for catching my typo, yes I meant eBay.ca.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:
Why is Square Trade Deal showing in Additional Selling Resources in Selling Manager? Does not work.

Thanks for the flag, I'll alert the Selling Manager team.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

This concludes our weekly chat for today. Thanks for joining and see you next week!

Message 28 of 28
latest reply