August 10th 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. The thread will remain open for the next 24 hours or so, please go ahead and post at your convenience.

Open issues:

• CA Shopping cart erroneously applying free shipping on multiple orders
  • Login redirect to foreign eBay sites
  • Automotive listings losing images when changing duration to GTC
  • Best Offer on listings that didn't have it in the first place
  • Errors when uploading more than one tracking number at a time (repeated, erroneous numbers saved)
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Anchor Store coupon not working/only working on AU site - Issue has been identified and is being worked on between eBay and PayPal. In the meantime CS has been provided with tools to help affected sellers with a work around.
  • Printer friendly Order Details page missing items - Resolved - fix rolled out or to roll out soon.
  • Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:
Guides are currently broken on eBay.ca. There is a team working to bring to us the newest version of the Guides platform.

Do you know whether this means the content itself will be retained?  Any ETA?

I've spent quite some time and care on my "Guides" and wouldn't want to have to re-input everything from scratch.  I doubt I even have the text saved by now.  

Hi rose-dee,

Unfortunately, I don't have an ETA for this. But as Maureen pointed out, you may be able to retrieve your guides from another eBay site (she found hers on eBay.co.uk).

Message 41 of 69
latest reply

Last week I brought up an issue concerning feedback padding (listings offering FB for sale).  You replied (Post #47, Aug.3), but I didn't have a chance to respond.  

You indicated you would investigate the one example I provided, but my real point was not that one particular seller was doing it, but that it's clearly a more widespread problem.  

Someone at eBay really should take 5 minutes to type "feedback" into the general search box and look through the pages of results to see how many people are currently selling FB, and remove them all -- immediately.  Surely eBay has the capacity to do so. 

Can you please pass this suggestion along to the powers that be?  Such flagrant selling of FB is unfair to sellers who work hard for (and value) our FB, even if eBay itself believes FB has become irrelevant.  It's an affront to see such an egregious violation of policy being openly carried on week after week with impunity by so many sellers.  Thanks in advance for dealing with this.  

Message 42 of 69
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:
Guides are currently broken on eBay.ca. There is a team working to bring to us the newest version of the Guides platform.

I've spent quite some time and care on my "Guides" and wouldn't want to have to re-input everything from scratch.  I doubt I even have the text saved by now.  

Hi rose-dee,

Unfortunately, I don't have an ETA for this. But as Maureen pointed out, you may be able to retrieve your guides from another eBay site (she found hers on eBay.co.uk).

So... if I understand your answer, that means that yes, the content will be dumped and gone forever once the new system is in place? 

Message 43 of 69
latest reply

If you log into ebay.co.uk, and go to the bottom of your seller ID page, you should see Guides under Collections and Followers. At least that's what worked for me although I did create both on ebay.co.uk. 

Although I see zero guides for you there.

Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 1.59.15 PM.png

Message 44 of 69
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@bunbar wrote:
It wont connect me to the post office in Canada, unless I'm going about it the wrong way

Your item was listed on eBay.com with the item location set as Champlain, New York. Consequently, the site thinks you'll be shipping this with USPS.

If you want the site to take you to Canada Post (PayPal) for shipping labels, you have to list on eBay.ca and specify an item location within Canada. 

In my experience it doesn't matter which site the listing was done on or where the item is located.  It only matters which site you are on when you click print label.

If I click on print label on .ca on a listing done on .com or ,ca it takes me to PayPal to print a Canada post label.   If I click on print label on .com it takes me to print a USPS label for both com and ca listings.  Canada is the item location on all of my listings.

Message 45 of 69
latest reply

I thought I'd post a follow-up to my dilemma from last week concerning the buyer who informed me she hadn't noticed she'd purchased a sewing pattern, and not an actual garment, and was (rather belatedly) asking for a refund when the item was already in transit.  

I decided to refund the cost of the item ($12.95US), but not the original shipping, which I did immediately.  I advised the buyer I was refunding in good faith on the understanding she'd return the item to me once she received it, although I doubt that will ever happen.  

I felt that since the cost of U.K. to Canada shipping to return a $12.95 US item was almost equal to the item value, refusing to refund until the item was returned might simply anger the buyer and invite trouble (a spurious INAD case, or just negative FB).  So I lost the item and the $12.95 US, but it likely bought me some protection of my perfect selling record.  

So my question is: can eBay not provide some specific rule/policy to better protect sellers in situations of buyer remorse, inattention to listing details, or change of mind?  In other words, if a seller refunds in such an instance, prevent a buyer from being able to open a case or leave FB?  

This would seem fair, especially if a seller loses both the item and the money by accommodating such a buyer.  I'm sure this scenario must play out every day on eBay. 

Message 46 of 69
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

If you log into ebay.co.uk, and go to the bottom of your seller ID page, you should see Guides under Collections and Followers. At least that's what worked for me although I did create both on ebay.co.uk. 

Although I see zero guides for you there.

Yes, "Reviews & Guides" used to follow my ID on my storefront for years, then the icon suddenly disappeared.  I found it later in the section you mention, but now it's gone.  I presume that means all my work has vanished, not the first such occurrence on eBay. 

I just wish they'd give us some advance warning of these kinds of changes.  I know many sellers who had extensive Reviews and Guides that likely helped to draw buyer attention (and help to increase sales).  They wouldn't be too happy about suddenly having it all disappear. 

Message 47 of 69
latest reply

You are right and I've used both many times but every now and then it won't work, the item number I sent Raphael was one of those.  Instead of taking me to the Canada Post office it took me to the USPS but not the same page that usually comes up when I'm making labels for US shipping. It looked totally different, 

Message 48 of 69
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Last week I brought up an issue concerning feedback padding (listings offering FB for sale).  You replied (Post #47, Aug.3), but I didn't have a chance to respond.  

You indicated you would investigate the one example I provided, but my real point was not that one particular seller was doing it, but that it's clearly a more widespread problem.  

Someone at eBay really should take 5 minutes to type "feedback" into the general search box and look through the pages of results to see how many people are currently selling FB, and remove them all -- immediately.  Surely eBay has the capacity to do so. 

Can you please pass this suggestion along to the powers that be?  Such flagrant selling of FB is unfair to sellers who work hard for (and value) our FB, even if eBay itself believes FB has become irrelevant.  It's an affront to see such an egregious violation of policy being openly carried on week after week with impunity by so many sellers.  Thanks in advance for dealing with this.  

With literally millions of new listings on eBay every day, as much as we would like to, we don't have the resources to reactively scrutinize the site for policy violations. We have to rely on user reports and our own detection filters for that, and even then, some things get through. Also, limited resources mean we have to prioritize what problems we look to solve for, and with less than 10,000 listings advertizing feedback (search on eBay.com), this is hardly something that can cause real harm to legitimate sellers. 

With that said, I hate seeing such blatant breach of policy as much as you do, so I have asked someone to look into it. What's important to understand though, is that even if we removed all of these listings today, they would inevitably come back and in order to catch them again, we would have to assign someone to this full time, something that we can't afford to do without taking resources away from more important things, like catching actual fraudsters.

Message 49 of 69
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@ricarmic wrote:

Hi Raphael!

Here is an interesting error happening. It has happened to me two times now. 

When I use "sell similar" with a lowered price, afterward I get a promotional email telling me the price of the newly listed item has been lowered, which it hasn't. (receiving messages telling me my own items are on sale has been happening for a long time)

Here is the thread that describes the problem:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/New-glitch-almost-gave-me-a-heart-attack/m-p/346460#U3464...

(My store is closed at the moment, let me know if you want extra information like the before and after lots for example...)

Hello ricarmic,

Thanks for the report. If I understand, basically some of your items are getting priced lower without your doing? Yes, please share the relevant item numbers so I can take a look. You can do that here or by email at raphael@ebay.com.

Hi Raphael, I was out of the office till moments ago...

No the actual price is ok, the problem is the automagic promotional "Price lowered on" email that goes out to folks that looked at the original item, that is generated thinks it is a lower price than it is ie it is on sale when it is not. (No idea why it tells me my own items are on sale, that's yet a different problem)

Here is the original item number that sold: 381674506404   ($19.99)

Here is the item number of the item I sold similar using the above to sell similar from : 381725260828   ($12.99)

I used the sold listing to "sell similar" to the new item which had a lower price (because it was smaller).

I got an email telling me that 381725260828 was reduced in price (which it wasn't it was as the original price it was listed at, however it was lower in price than the item it was relisted from).

SAVE $7.00 + FREE SHIPPING
You viewed this at $19.99. It was just discounted to $12.99.

Collector's PILE O LABELS 115 they set aside. Some locals,lots of Xmas seals etc

$12.99

for a limited time.

1 left at this price.

View Item

Hope this helps I can provide other information or other lots if you like...

Message 50 of 69
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hi rose-dee,

So... if I understand your answer, that means that yes, the content will be dumped and gone forever once the new system is in place? 

Not sure how you read this from my answer. No, that's not what I meant at all.

Message 51 of 69
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@bunbar wrote:
It wont connect me to the post office in Canada, unless I'm going about it the wrong way

Your item was listed on eBay.com with the item location set as Champlain, New York. Consequently, the site thinks you'll be shipping this with USPS.

If you want the site to take you to Canada Post (PayPal) for shipping labels, you have to list on eBay.ca and specify an item location within Canada. 

In my experience it doesn't matter which site the listing was done on or where the item is located.  It only matters which site you are on when you click print label.

If I click on print label on .ca on a listing done on .com or ,ca it takes me to PayPal to print a Canada post label.   If I click on print label on .com it takes me to print a USPS label for both com and ca listings.  Canada is the item location on all of my listings.

Actually I think you are right there, at least, for items listed on eBay.ca. I'm not sure that the site would know to send a seller to PayPal labels if the item was listed on eBay.com with an item location in the US.

Message 52 of 69
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I thought I'd post a follow-up to my dilemma from last week concerning the buyer who informed me she hadn't noticed she'd purchased a sewing pattern, and not an actual garment, and was (rather belatedly) asking for a refund when the item was already in transit.  

I decided to refund the cost of the item ($12.95US), but not the original shipping, which I did immediately.  I advised the buyer I was refunding in good faith on the understanding she'd return the item to me once she received it, although I doubt that will ever happen.  

I felt that since the cost of U.K. to Canada shipping to return a $12.95 US item was almost equal to the item value, refusing to refund until the item was returned might simply anger the buyer and invite trouble (a spurious INAD case, or just negative FB).  So I lost the item and the $12.95 US, but it likely bought me some protection of my perfect selling record.  

So my question is: can eBay not provide some specific rule/policy to better protect sellers in situations of buyer remorse, inattention to listing details, or change of mind?  In other words, if a seller refunds in such an instance, prevent a buyer from being able to open a case or leave FB?  

This would seem fair, especially if a seller loses both the item and the money by accommodating such a buyer.  I'm sure this scenario must play out every day on eBay. 

As I explained last week, Feedback isn't really connected to whether a transaction is completed, refunded, cancelled or not. Even if any of these outcomes play out, feedback still only represents a buyer's general opinion of the experience with the seller. 

Also, since feedback now basically counts for nothing, I don't anticipate much focus on solving for such problems, which are what we would call 'edge cases'.

Message 53 of 69
latest reply

Given the emphasis being placed on Product Reviews and the attention given to Reviews left on a member's profile, can I systematically review each one of the 1,033 products that I have for sale using the product reviews I have already included in my listings? That's my biggest beef about Product Reviews. I'm fairly confident that I know more about the products I sell than anyone else and I'm forthright about their strengths and weaknesses. What's to stop a seller from reviewing their own items? 

Message 54 of 69
latest reply

"Also, since feedback now basically counts for nothing,...."

Could you please explain what you mean by "nothing".

As a buyer I rely very heavily on feedback left by other buyers (both the total count and comments) to decide if I want to deal with a seller or not.  It is not "nothing" for me.  I suspect the same is true with many (most ?) other eBay buyers.

(PS - I buy on eBay under a different User ID)

Message 55 of 69
latest reply

I agree wholeheartedly with pierre in this respect. Feedback is the main factor I use in making a decision whether I will buy from someone on ebay. It comes before price and anything else. 

Message 56 of 69
latest reply

And I mean I read it all. The feedback that has been left by other buyers for the seller and the feedback that seller has left for others. 

Message 57 of 69
latest reply

95 percent of the time if I am on Ebay Canada it will take me to the Canada Post Labels and if I"m on Ebay.com it will take me to the US Post Office to make Labels,. I never have a problem with the US post office but every once in a while it won't take me to the Canada Post office. no matter where I try from. I was just hoping there was an obvious reason I wasn't seeing for the next time. Or who I could contact to get help

Message 58 of 69
latest reply

Hi Raphael, I wrote a big response, was making editing changes which I took too long for and now nothing shows on the board here... so I will send information to your email address later today or tomorrow.....

Message 59 of 69
latest reply

One last comment regarding my Post #42 above (on FB padding/selling).  I noticed that when I log into eBay now, the landing page is presenting me with other, similar sellers' wares.  Clearly the bots don't know that they're promoting illegal listings. 

This is just compounding the problem.  Can't someone at eBay deal with this in a meaningful, global manner, rather than relying on people to report individual sellers?  I'd guess that most buyers wouldn't even "get" what's going on with these FB-selling listings, let alone report them. 

By the way, one of the "related" sellers being promoted on my landing page is selling digital downloads of e-books.  See listing # 152186632748.  This guy is even claiming in his listing description that he's not breaking any eBay digital download rules -- are the eBay rules on such goods different in the U.K.? So go ahead and buy with confidence.   

I refrained from selling digital items years ago when eBay made it virtually illegal.  These kinds of listings are still all over the place on eBay, very easy to find.  It doesn't feel good.

Message 60 of 69
latest reply