Blocking Certain Countries

scouttech-outfitters
Community Member
I've been getting more bids than usual from Countries such as China, India, Turkey, etc.

I do not feel comfortable shipping to these countries as I've experimented with small items (even a set of candles) and been ripped off each time.

Does anyone know if there is I way I can block uncommon countries such as Turkey?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

funkywatch_com
Community Member
I think the only way for now is to indicate this info in your listings. If someone from this country bids and wins your item you just refund the payment and initiate a dispute with 'disagreement over shipping terms' as a reason...

Annoying but it will work.

eric
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

clutterking
Community Member
Yes, you can "block bidders from countries I don't ship to" in your selling preferences.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

teodoro1872
Community Member
I am not sure that you can do that...I use Blackthorne Pro and I do not have that option. Mind you, I list through ebay.com not ebay.ca
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

scouttech-outfitters
Community Member
Thanks Eric,
I guess I'll need to look into doing that though I wonder if it would be worth the effort to do that for 400 individual auctions (everytime eBay opens in a new country this may need to be updated) and if I wouldn't be better off just explaining to people from those countries as I go along..

Clutterking - The problem is that the countries that I dont want to ship to such as Turkey, I am unable to find a way to block for that option to take effect.

Perhaps a general notice claiming I don't ship outside of North and South America, Europe and Australia would do the job until eBay comes out with a way to manage countries.

Thanks Guys
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

clutterking
Community Member
Oh, I see....thought it was too simple!

I have had problems with Turkey too. That and the Netherlands!

This brings up another point. Why would some sellers (in the USA) not ship to certain States like Texas? My first guess is political, but it doesn't make sense to me...
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

funkywatch_com
Community Member
MTS

Be careful when shipping to South America. The service is quite uneven in certain countries, particularly Brazil. Had some problems with Mexico and Argentina as well. It just takes a very long time to get to your customer, and with Paypal they can claim their money back and there is nothing you can do about it. Eventually they receive the package, but you get nothing.

My solution to that was to force Brazilian buyers to pay for International Xpresspost. They pay US$40 for shipping but it gets there and fast and I stop losing items. I have less Brazilian buyers and a few got pissed but I,m not giving away my money anymore..

good luck,
eric
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

scouttech-outfitters
Community Member
Another one to watch out for I've found is Ireland. I havn't had any problems with them yet, but anytime they order computer products I force them to use Express.

Thanks for the heads up Eric. I've only shipped to South America a few times Express. Was considering using the International Ground Services for some larger computer cases and such but sounds like I'd be headed for trouble.

Darrell
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
I've had problems with buyers pretending to have US accounts. The first guy's eBay account says his location is in France and his email addy is France, .fr. He wanted shipment to a US address that USPS says is undeliverable which could mean it doesn't exist. The scary part is that the address was CONFIRMED by PayPal!! 😮 How the heck is that possible?

The next guy has an account that hasn't been used for a year in the US. His email address is lycos.co.kr - Korea. He wanted the item sent to a US address where he claims to live. His PayPal payment says its a Non-US Unverified account. I refund and ask him why the conflict. He says he lives in the US but forgot to change his PP info. Uh huh. How do you still have a Korean ISP then dude? And his Korean email addy is refusing emails from my IP. I tell him to buy me a money order from his local post office. Ok but I can't figure out how to do that online. No, not online. Walk in and buy a green one for under $1. Nope. Can't do that.

Well, why not? There are lots of locations go to the USPS website to find the nearest one. I can't. I'm in Japan right now on holiday.....bla bla bla....sigh

It's getting scary out there! Too many newbies or casual users that aren't computer/internet savvy getting their accounts taken over. They don't use eBay for almost a year and get a spoof that tells them to update their info so they do.

Maybe I'm just way too cynical but I don't have an interest in losing items and money whether it's $2 or $200. :(

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 9 of 9
latest reply