Brexit will close down Brirish GSP

As long as the GSP has been going, items sent to Europe entered the EU via England. This was because they could be transported onwards to all the EU with no customs formalities after entry. Having the depot in the UK made tacking on a British GSP a cheap option on existing infrastructure.

When Britain leaves the EU, this will no longer e a viable way of handling shipping in to Europe for the GSP, and it is improbable that the UK GSP will survive as a stand alone shipping option.

I know this is of no real concern to Canadian buyers, as I expect few will be buying GSP items from British sellers but there are a few regular GSP watchers here that might like to keep an eye out for the oncoming changes.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Not likely to happen.  The UK GSP does not depend on the US GSP to work. It might be cheaper to run together, but it is not required for the UK GSP to keep running.

If anything it more likely the UK GSP will remain, because if the EU becomes foreign export territory to the UK there is even more reason for UK sellers to start using GSP.

-..-

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

"When Britain leaves the EU, this will no longer e a viable way of handling shipping in to Europe for the GSP, and it is improbable that the UK GSP will survive as a stand alone shipping option."

Please allow me to disagree.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I was under the impression that parcels to Europe went to the Netherlands first.

I have no idea why I thought that.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Not likely to happen.  The UK GSP does not depend on the US GSP to work. It might be cheaper to run together, but it is not required for the UK GSP to keep running.

If anything it more likely the UK GSP will remain, because if the EU becomes foreign export territory to the UK there is even more reason for UK sellers to start using GSP.

I think AF's point was not that the UK GSP requires the US GSP in order to function, but that the UK was created as the entry hub for Europe-destined US GSP's items.

Brexit would mean that a new entry hub for US GSP items would have to be created should Pitney Bowes wish to continue having European countries as a destination.

I suspect that one reason the UK was chosen as a hub for US GSP items entering the EU was the fact that English is the official and predominate language there.  If PB were to choose a new hub for EU items, it would make sense that Ireland would be chosen.

I do agree with Femmefan that the Netherlands would probably also be an attractive option.

At one-fifth the population of the United States and only twice that of Canada, I'm not sure that there would be the volume of sales to justify a UK GSP post-Brexit, but it would be interesting to know how by how much international sales on eBay UK have increased since the UK GSP was implemented.

Perhaps Pierre will find time to elaborate on his post.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I look at the big long-term picture.

Years ago, eBay introduced GSP to help American sellers sell and ship overseas.  eBay and Pitney Bowes knew American sellers did not really need help to ship to Canadian buyers but, from their perspective, who cares?  Canada is a very small market compared to Europe, Asia, etc...   Whatever sales were lost to Canada will be more than made up elsewhere.  And they were right.

Last year they expanded to the UK, hoping to duplicate the success of the American experience (in this context, "success" is defined by the increased sales volume by American sellers using the program, not the number of complaints from Canadians).

Now from Pitney Bowes perspective.  Take a look at;

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pitney-bowes-gauges-new-path-away-from-mass-mailings-1458861296

PB is moving away from their main postage meters business towards moving parcels internationally, following their purchase last year of Borderfree for US$381 million. Working with eBay to expand sales around the world will not stop because UK may eventually come to a different trade arrangement with Europe (Let's face it Brexit is not the end of the world.  All traffic between UK and Europe will not stop.  New arrangements, new trade agreements will be made).

As such I see no valid reason for PB and eBay to cancel their current GSP-UK program.  PB is already well represented in Europe.  Adjustments will be made.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

. . . I see no valid reason for PB and eBay to cancel their current GSP-UK program.  PB is already well represented in Europe.  Adjustments will be made.

I'm hoping AF will come back to this thread, but if I'm reading his post correctly, what influenced the decision to start the UK GSP was the fact that it already had the infrastructure in place from being a receiving hub for EU-destined shipments.

Take away or repurpose that infrastructure and the UK GSP may no longer be cost-effective for Pitney Bowes to maintain it.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Exactly what I meant, marno.

Like many Brexit related things, we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

To me GSP is a concern, indeed! I buy a lot from UK and not happy with the fact GSP's expand. Luckily not so many sellers use it as of yet, but who knows in the future...
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@tonich007 wrote:

To me GSP is a concern, indeed! I buy a lot from UK and not happy with the fact GSP's expand. Luckily not so many sellers use it as of yet, but who knows in the future...

It may be that either eBay UK hasn't been as aggressive as eBay.com about automatically opting "domestic only" sellers into the programme, or else UK sellers have been generally smarter about opting out of it.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply