7 REPLIES 7

Re: Brilliant idea........

Actually, not really. it would be some plastic use specific oil only. Oil has as many varieties as their are people. It is not all suitable for different things. There is a reason the tar sands stuff sells at $30 below WTI.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

There is a link to a brochure and in the brochure it says the machine can handle specific types of plastics and cannot process other types of plastic to produce oil.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

This all follows the myth of re-cycling. Winnipeg now has two landfills. There is the city garbage dump south of Winnipeg. There is the Blue Box re-cycling dump north of the city. The only thing. reliably re-cycled is metal and the majority of that goes through General Scrap in Springfield.

Glass used to be crushed and GIVEN to the city to spread on the road going to the Brady Rd Landfill. The city decided they didn't want this anymore. Paper used to go to Pine Falls Mill an hour north of the city. It went out of business, with new equipment, because re-cycling paper and cardboard was too expensive.

In the interest of re-cycling, the environment, saving money, we now have two sets of garbage trucks and two landfills. Running two of everything is cheaper than one, right?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Metal can always be recycled as inuk mentioned. As for glass and plastics etc etc etc, I don't know much about the contents or chemical makeups as to what can be recycled at a reasonable cost or recycled at all.

Maybe we really need to do is eliminate packaging that needs to be recycled, or at least make laws that it has to be made of certain criteria in order that it be easily recycled if need be. Of course that would take innovative development ideas and big business and governments all working together. What are the chances of that?!

Photobucket
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

re-cycle recycle recycle   🙂

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Here is the re-cycling landfill north of Winnipeg:

http://goo.gl/maps/PHZaF

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Maybe we really need to do is eliminate packaging that needs to be recycled, or at least make laws that it has to be made of certain criteria in order that it be easily recycled if need be.

I think this is the key if we want to be able to continue to live on this earth without wallowing everywhere in our own waste.  Recycling items (like plastic bags) that are made from non-renewable resources is fine, but it's not the magic bullet.  Using further resources and precious energy trying to make something useable out of all the garbage we generate is only a comforting illusion that leads people to believe that it's OK to continue to choose/use unwisely because these items are not really being "thrown away". 

We need to somehow change our mindset to look at everything we use and ask whether it can easily and safely be absorbed back into the environment.  Reusable shopping bags are a start, but we've also become hooked on plastic garbage bags at the other end of the process. 

By the way, there is no reason why even someone living in a small apartment in a city can't set up a worm box to reduce household organic waste to almost nothing -- those fascinating and useful creatures will neatly consume just about any paper or vegetable scraps and turn them into a truly valuable, odour-free product for growing your plants.  Any decent gardening book will give directions.   

I believe people canmake a difference through individual choices that, with grass roots pressure applied to politicians, may lead to saner laws on packaging, etc.  Even without formal legislation, consumers' choices will make the laws of the marketplace.  The problem I see is consumer lazyness.  It's easier and more convenient not to have to think about the choices.  Just grab another plastic bag or plastic bottle and hope someone will find a way to turn it into something else down the road. 

The natural systems of this earth are marvellous at recycling natural materials.  Anyone who has a backyard composter and has learned to use it properly will have witnessed this.  The real problem is that man has forgotten he's part of that system.  There is no reason we can't use truly recyclable (i.e. biologically degradable) containers and packaging or completely reusable (i.e. more or less permanent) containers and packaging in our everyday lives for many, if not most, of the products we now buy.  Perhaps we need to learn to accept a little less "convenience" and/or a little less "glitz". 

It isn't just us humans anymore who are being affected by our outrageous use of throwaway plastics -- scientists say ocean creatures are eating the stuff (and dying of it) as it breaks into pieces.  Need I mention the "garbage island" in the Pacific? 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply