Buyer hasn't paid

unison334
Community Member

A buyer purchased one of my Buy It Now items, last Tuesday. I have sent the buyer an invoice, but he has still not paid and he has 0 feedback.

Right now the item is hot (I sold other copies of the item just a few hours after I made the eBay listing) so I want to sell the item as soon as I can.

Would it be appropriate to contact he buyer for payment again (or cancellation) now?, and if he doesn't respond, when should I open an unpaid item dispute? Thanks

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Buyer hasn't paid

Yes, send a reminder invoice, wait 24 hours and open a UID. If this buyer wants to cancel let them ask you.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Every seller handles that in his or her her own way.

Many posters open unpaid time cases as soon as the system allows, and they will advise you to do the same.

I wait several weeds before starting in on the cases, emails, etc.and don't give it much thought until some time has elapsed but I do send out a second invoice or three during that time.

Many of those buyers add a few items given time.

I have had only had a few buyers (3-5) who haven't paid over the years, but I've had quite a few slow payers.

So, all in all, it's up to you to decide how to deal with slow payers, but in my case I've made much more money being patient than I would have made otherwise.

I don't consider a buyer a non-payer until several weeks have passed.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Hello 'unison334', 

Non-payers (and slow payers) are not uncommon on ebay and thus a frequent theme here on the boards.  

How long you wish to continue contacting and waiting is up to you.  Every seller has a different threshold for 

slow/ non payers.  You indicate that this is an item you can easily sell when relisted, so perhaps you will not 

want to wait much longer.  If the buyer "bought" it on Tuesday, that was a week ago already.  

You say he has zero feedback.  That, to me, indicates one of two things, -- either he is just fooling around and 

has no intention of paying and you will never hear from him no matter what you do.  

Or, he is such a complete newb he has no idea that he is genuinely expected to promptly pay for any item he "buys".  

If you wish to be kind and contact him a last time, do so.  But then when he does not respond file to get your fees

back so you can relist.  If you have not already seen ebay's policy on non-payers:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/unpaid-items.htm

And to make sure he does not do this to you again, you might want to add him to your 'blocked bidder list'.  

The following link shows all the many ways and reasons to block a maximum number of potential customers:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html#block

Best wishes for a satisfying conclusion. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the info, everyone!

I contacted the buyer once more and added him to my Blocked Bidders list (thanks for the link).

I guess I will give him 2 days to respond, then open an Unpaid Item Dispute.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Hi Unison! I am not 100% sure but he might not be able to pay if you have blocked him. I am not sure what happens if you block a person between the time they buy and they pay.... I always wait until after the case is closed before I block them for that reason.

I'm sure someone here knows the answer for sure...
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the warning!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

It blocks them from making another purchase. It shouldn't affect this purchase at all.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

That sounds right! - the eBay site says blocked buyers can't bid on any of your listings. Thanks for the info!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply