Buyer keeps changing reason for return :

I sold a Gibson 2007 Les Paul Guitar to a buyer in the USA, today I received an email that they were dissatisfied I didnt send the code for the lock on the case and wanted a new case. The code the lock was set at is the CODE to open and close it, after I explained that to them, they then said nowhere does it say its a USA Gibson guitar and the leather tag attached inside the case says Made in Canada and now want a full refund and then will send back the guitar and wanting me to pay return shipping.

The case for Gibson guitars are Made in Canada, however the guitar, based on the serial number and info included was Made in the USA. Any suggestions on how to respond? I have sent them a cut and paste of the info regarding the serial number but to no reply from them.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

@online2u2012 wrote:

Ends up he forgot what the the combo was after he closed it, the good thing is the guitar was out of it .

My solution is I have offered to cover the cost of getting the lock reset at a locksmith which will be between $20-$30, much cheaper than all the alternatives and will hopefully pay dividends in customer service.

That's hardly your error and it's very kind of you to offer that $20-30 to resolve this issue. Good to know that at least it turned out okay.

Probably a good idea to keep track of all lock combos you ship out from now on to prevent spending an extra $20-30 because of other people's error.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

@73rhc wrote:
This is what I've been trying to say on another thread. I believe that the buyer cannot claim NAD just because the item doesn't fit. Or if he can, then it's the return seller's policy that takes precedence. And if the seller doesn't accept returns than it's up to the buyer to pay for return shipping, if a return is agreed upon.

If he is honest and choose that the item doesn't fit as the reason for a return request then you're right, it isn't a nad case, it is just a return request and the sellers return policy takes precedence. Of course some buyers will fib and choose another reason for the return so that they can bypass the sellers return policy. But I do think that if the seller's listing is clear and the seller is open to communication right from the beginning, then there is less chance of a buyer doing that.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

I'm glad things worked out.  I agree with zee that it was very nice of you to offer to pay for a locksmith.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

I'm happy for you that you got this resolved, and the cost to you will be less than 4% of your selling price.  Besides recording the lock combos, including details such as "authentic Gibson case Made in Canada" in your listing description could be further insurance against SNAD claims, along with a photo showing the Made in Canada marking.  As far as I'm concerned, more detail is better (stopping short of the ridiculous of course).

A great example of how personal (telephone) contact helped the buyer clarify exactly what s/he was upset about, and helped to get them back to a state of happiness with their purchase.  You may find that the buyer will never bill you for the lock reset out of remorse for their own actions - that would be an even nicer resolution.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply